The trial of James Andrew Husband and Gary Dobbie

This section was setup in August 2018 in order to move the existing related discussions from other sections into this new section to group them together, and separate from the other CH-related topics.

Moderator: Moderators

J.R.
Forum Moderator

Re: The trial of James Andrew Husband and Gary Dobbie

Post by J.R. »

'Witness 21' was giving evidence yesterday.

No news on todays proceedings, (if any). Maybe adjourned now until Monday next.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
richardb
Forum Moderator

Post by richardb »

Not sitting until 2pm today John.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

Yog. You go too far though that might be a product of your parents and the area where you lived.- would you deny others the chance you had.
I don't know your background and I suspect that we have never met. Did you live in a nice three bedroomed house with a garden full of flowers and a school where everyone was nice to each other? I know a lot of OB s who did live in those conditions but there were also those from mining or port cities where the streets were narrow tracks between leaky two up and tw downs with no electricity and schools where life was often short or otherwise painful
You could have gone to the local grammar school because your dad knew someone and, at 18 .become a director in the family company or you could have come out of school with a reputation for violence and no qualifications except to comllect rubbish behind the council lorry. Both those options applied to boys at CH.

You hated being at CH (join me in that) but you must remember that CH was the direct result of a sermon preached by a Christian minister aimed to help thos children with no roof over their heads, no food apart from what they could scrounge from other people waste and absolutely no future. At least you got an education and a dry bed. At least you got the chance if you went into the 5th Form with the chance of getting the 5 O levels demanded for any worthwhile job at that time. You might even have got A levels or better and been able to go to University. When I left CH about 50% of school leavers didn't have a single O level. And all that stemmed from a Christian speaker!

You moan about being a swab and write:
And of all the traditions, the most mindless and brutish was "fagging" (not that it was called that at CH as far as I know). Allowing older boys (mainly) to order and push around younger ones in some bizarre travesty of the medieval knight-and-page relation, with the hints of romanticised Greek pederasty, is horrifically barbaric and inegalitarian for a modern society to allow.

What a total load of cobblers. Instead of getting up early to set tables or cleaning the house or serving food you got a relatively easy life. You had an extra pair of shoes to clean, perhaps remove dirt from a coat, clear up a few cups and saucers and got paid for that!!! IF you got bullied then you deserved it - classic bullies were quickly spotted and dealt with.

I mentioned the work of a Christian preacher and its effect on you. Whether it be Islam, bhuddism, Hinduism, Christianity (in most of its sects) they teach a code of behaviour which generally boils down to "treat others as you would wish them to treat you". Is this what you object to? Do you want the right to go down the street using a machete on the men and raping the girls? If so be gone.

I am not commenting on the trials; I had no experience of such behaviour by a teacher (one older boy tried once in the nine years and was repulsed verbally) but I did have a GP try it on me under difficult circumstances. It occurred at CH. he was not connected with the school but he was from my home community. Perhaps I was lucky - those were my sole experiences
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

richardb wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:40 pm Not sitting until 2pm today John.
And still no news on Causelist on todays proceedings
richardb
Forum Moderator

Post by richardb »

You can get limited information from Xhibit:

http://xhibit.justice.gov.uk/lewes.htm

At one stage this afternoon it said witness 21 was giving evidence which must be the first Defendant.
richardb
Forum Moderator

Post by richardb »

The press are back on the case. Husband has been giving evidence and it makes interesting reading:

http://www.itv.com/news/2018-06-15/teac ... -year-old/

https://www.shropshirestar.com/news/uk- ... -year-old/

There will be a lot to debate once the trial is over.
Avon
Deputy Grecian

Post by Avon »

richardb wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:32 pm There will be a lot to debate once the trial is over.
Damn right. I can almost phrase the platitudinous email that will come from the school; lessons learned, never again, etc... We'll be asked to move on.

I wish the Head and the School well. But I don't want to move on - I want a serious introspective into an age that I lived through at that school where 'pastoral care' was clearly upkeep of one's Beethoven LPs and little more. Depending on the outcome of the trials of course, but I expect that there's a lot of anger waiting to be unleashed on an incompetent, passive, yet still bullying leadership team.

Of course, it won't happen here. Some dullard will be along shortly to complain (again) about why the press persists in reporting the top fees of the school at 31k...
LHA
Deputy Grecian

Post by LHA »

Surely at least one of Richard Poulton, Elizabeth Cairncross and Robert SIllett should be called. Sillett's daughter will be in a position to advise Husband and Debbie about life in prison if they are convicted.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Looking at the court web-site, it looks like Witness 21, (Husband ?) will be continuing in the box on Monday
richardb
Forum Moderator

Post by richardb »

I believe Husband is witness 21.

Dobbie is yet to go.
yamaha
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by yamaha »

LHA wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:05 pmSillett's daughter will be in a position to advise Husband and Debbie about life in prison if they are convicted.
Was she in prison? She was about 3 last time I saw her.
LHA
Deputy Grecian

Post by LHA »

jakew
3rd Former

Post by jakew »

LHA wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:05 pm Surely at least one of Richard Poulton, Elizabeth Cairncross and Robert SIllett should be called. Sillett's daughter will be in a position to advise Husband and Debbie about life in prison if they are convicted.
It appears from the press coverage that the complainants in the Dobbie case come from a period later than that of the "troika".
richardb
Forum Moderator

Post by richardb »

The complaints against Husband seem to emanate from about the same time as those against Karim, and all three gave evidence against him.
LHA
Deputy Grecian

Post by LHA »

Sillett as well v Karim? Didn't see the report