Aiglon College

This section was setup in August 2018 in order to move the existing related discussions from other sections into this new section to group them together, and separate from the other CH-related topics.

Moderator: Moderators

DazedandConfused
GE (Great Erasmus)

Aiglon College

Post by DazedandConfused » Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:52 pm

I was reasearching something completely unrelated online and came across an article about Aiglon College, a school I haven’t heard about for years. I was at CH when Richard McDonald left to be Head there (this isn’t about the charges against him as he was acquitted and they didn’t relate to pupils) and Murdoch went with him to be Chaplain. I seem to remember Cairncross’s daughter going there to study for a year too, or did I imagine that?

Their abuse scandal was particularly horrific, although seemingly isolated to one member of staff, with the teacher drugging pupils before raping them. The more I read about boarding schools, the more convictions for abuse I find.

Were there other links between CH and Aiglon or was it just those two members of staff who moved there?

Golfer
GE (Great Erasmus)

Re: Aiglon College

Post by Golfer » Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:41 pm

Incredible justice system in Switzerland. I think Richard McDonald was imprisoned for a year yet never charged with anything.

Quote justifying this from the Swiss police, ""This is Switzerland after all. Staying here is better than a hotel. Our inmates have television, radios and some even have CD players."

Golfer
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Golfer » Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:04 pm

DazedandConfused wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:52 pm
Were there other links between CH and Aiglon or was it just those two members of staff who moved there?
Is this a serious question? Links between CH - for paupers - and Aiglon - for the royal family?

J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:08 am

Golfer wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:41 pm
Incredible justice system in Switzerland. I think Richard McDonald was imprisoned for a year yet never charged with anything.

Quote justifying this from the Swiss police, ""This is Switzerland after all. Staying here is better than a hotel. Our inmates have television, radios and some even have CD players."
Most 'lifers in the UK have these luxuries today. As one retired PO recently remarked to me, "Far better than having to live on the streets !"
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.

DazedandConfused
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by DazedandConfused » Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:58 pm

Golfer wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:04 pm
DazedandConfused wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:52 pm
Is this a serious question? Links between CH - for paupers - and Aiglon - for the royal family?
At least two members of CH staff went to teach there and one member of staff educated her child there briefly. Those are links, no?

Golfer
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Golfer » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:56 pm

Hardly links. More like random events.

How many schools have had 2 previous CH members of staff teach there?

The list would be endless.