Maine House Photos

Photos associated with Maine house

Moderator: Moderators

AndrewH
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by AndrewH »

John Knight wrote:Which one is you Andrew? They all look too innocent...
Is that you with the tongue out, or the one slightly out of step?
Have a good Christmas, see you next year.
John.
I've been having trouble with that one. The one with his tongue out I think is Dom Fry ("Killer" Fry's son), I could be the one slightly out of step (or is it falling over??)

See you next year
Andrew Harrison
Maine A 1970-73
Lamb A 1973-77
Paul N
3rd Former

Post by Paul N »

AndrewH wrote:
John Knight wrote:Which one is you Andrew? They all look too innocent...
Is that you with the tongue out, or the one slightly out of step?
Have a good Christmas, see you next year.
John.
I've been having trouble with that one. The one with his tongue out I think is Dom Fry ("Killer" Fry's son), I could be the one slightly out of step (or is it falling over??)

See you next year
Is Richard Fry still around ? The guy was a star.
Maine B, then Lamb B, 76-83
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Re: Maine House Photos

Post by Mid A 15 »

Thanks to Julian please see below a Maine A photograph from Michaelmas Term 1966 as part of the whole school marching to Westminster Abbey for a service to commemorate the 900th anniversary of the Battle of Hastings.

As an aside I'm pretty sure at least some of the Hertford girls also were in attendance as I seem to remember seeing them marching with their blazers and boaters.

Click on image to enlarge.

Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Mid A 15 wrote:Thanks to Julian please see below a Maine A photograph from Michaelmas Term 1966 as part of the whole school marching to Westminster Abbey for a service to commemorate the 900th anniversary of the Battle of Hastings.

As an aside I'm pretty sure at least some of the Hertford girls also were in attendance as I seem to remember seeing them marching with their blazers and boaters.

Click on image to enlarge.

We wore Panamas not boaters, I don't think there is anyone on here who would have been in the sixth Form at that time and gone. I know we didn't all go. I come from "1066 Country" and HM the Queen and HRH Prince Philip made a visit at the time and met all the youth organisations. At the time I was a St john's ambulance cadet and have a photo of me from the local paper qwith the queen walking past. Prince Philip spoke to my cousin ( a Wolf cub as they were known then) who didn't have the foggiest who he was, but did have the presence of mind (and manners) to add 'sir' to his answer.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
Requested Removal 18
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Requested Removal 18 »

Maine A in Summer Term 1990

bobcrawshaw
2nd Former

Post by bobcrawshaw »

Maine A summer 1969

I'll have a go at the names from top to bottom:-

?, ?, Stickley, French, Farnfield, Johnson, ?, Courtney, Broadbridge, Lingham-Wood, Orchard?, Penny
Coupland,"Egg", ?, Fleetcroft, Wyatt, Morse, McKie, Roger ?, Larsen, Bird, Carpenter, Jones, Hodges
Sinclair, Sarel, Sheffield, Wade, Butcher, Oldham, Bacon, Starkey,?, Payne, Savage, Hatt-Lipscombe
?, Hall-Matthews, Pilbeam, Reed, Holdsworth, Miss Gracie, Gregory, Crisp, Burr, Walters, Lloyd
Crawshaw(me), Simpson, McCleod, Underwood, Timberlake, Hibbs, Goodwin, Dinsmore, Bell, Butler.
Ma.A 1968-1971 Col.A 1971-1975
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

bobcrawshaw wrote:Maine A summer 1969

?, ?, Stickley, French, Farnfield, Johnson, ?, Courtney, Broadbridge, Lingham-Wood, Orchard?, Penny
Coupland,"Egg", ?, Fleetcroft, Wyatt, Morse, McKie, Roger ?, Larsen, Bird, Carpenter, Jones, Hodges
Sinclair, Sarel, Sheffield, Wade, Butcher, Oldham, Bacon, Starkey,?, Payne, Savage, Hatt-Lipscombe
?, Hall-Matthews, Pilbeam, Reed, Holdsworth, Miss Gracie, Gregory, Crisp, Burr, Walters, Lloyd
Crawshaw(me), Simpson, McCleod, Underwood, Timberlake, Hibbs, Goodwin, Dinsmore, Bell, Butler.
A few of the question marks.

Back row: Robertson (or Robinson), Morge, Latter, agree Orchard

2nd row from back: "Egg" could be Heartfield. Heartfield in my year was known as "Egg" and I believe he had a younger brother. Tattersall is next to "Egg." Roger ? was Bysouth I believe.

3rd row from back: Not sure on this one but vaguely remember a guy called Southgate in Maine A could it be him?

2nd row from front: James Houghton is the guy next to Rev Hall-Matthews. I think "Reed" was actually "Read" but yes it is the metalwork teacher.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Not B.S.Gregory, who used to teach Latin in the Prep Houses in the early 60's, perchance ?
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

J.R. wrote:Not B.S.Gregory, who used to teach Latin in the Prep Houses in the early 60's, perchance ?
Yes the very same.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
bobcrawshaw
2nd Former

Post by bobcrawshaw »

Mid A 15 wrote:

2nd row from back: "Egg" could be Heartfield. Heartfield in my year was known as "Egg" and I believe he had a younger brother. Tattersall is next to "Egg." Roger ? was Bysouth I believe.

3rd row from back: Not sure on this one but vaguely remember a guy called Southgate in Maine A could it be him?

2nd row from front: James Houghton is the guy next to Rev Hall-Matthews. I think "Reed" was actually "Read" but yes it is the metalwork teacher.

Yes, I confirm all of those including Southgate, it was Robertson not Robinson. If you asked me I would have said that "Egg" Heartfield was the younger of 2 Heartfields at CH but I am not sure.
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

bobcrawshaw wrote:
Mid A 15 wrote:

Yes, I confirm all of those including Southgate, it was Robertson not Robinson. If you asked me I would have said that "Egg" Heartfield was the younger of 2 Heartfields at CH but I am not sure.

My memory has been jogged and there were definitely two Heartfields. The elder "Egg" (Philip) was in my year and can be seen in the photo of Maine A marching to Westminster Abbey in the Michaelmas term of 1966, kindly posted by Julian on my behalf, higher up the thread.

He is next to Bob Pilbeam and in front of John Crisp.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Mid A 15 wrote:
J.R. wrote:Not B.S.Gregory, who used to teach Latin in the Prep Houses in the early 60's, perchance ?
Yes the very same.

I know time takes it's toll, and as a new 63 year old, I speak with experience, but BSG doesn't look as half as scary as I remember him in Latin classes in January 1958 !
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

J.R. wrote:
Mid A 15 wrote:
Yes the very same.

I know time takes it's toll, and as a new 63 year old, I speak with experience, but BSG doesn't look as half as scary as I remember him in Latin classes in January 1958 !
Hard but fair is how I will always remember BSG. He was undeniably fond of wielding a gymshoe to a backside but it was invariably deserved, certainly in my case and I speak as one who received quite a few whacks, and he never bore a grudge. Once you were punished that was it - forgotten. One of my CH related regrets is that I returned to see friends still there in the year or so after leaving. I looked for BSG whilst there but was unable to find him and didn't bother to try a second time later. He died suddenly not long after so I never did see him again.

Incidentally I think BSG was 44 when the photo above was taken in 1969. How do I know that you may (or may not) ask! The answer is that the Free BMD (births, marriages and deaths) website shows the birth of a Basil S Gregory registered in the December quarter of 1924.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
bobcrawshaw
2nd Former

Post by bobcrawshaw »

Mid A 15 wrote:
Hard but fair is how I will always remember BSG. He was undeniably fond of wielding a gymshoe to a backside but it was invariably deserved, certainly in my case and I speak as one who received quite a few whacks, and he never bore a grudge. Once you were punished that was it - forgotten. One of my CH related regrets is that I returned to see friends still there in the year or so after leaving. I looked for BSG whilst there but was unable to find him and didn't bother to try a second time later. He died suddenly not long after so I never did see him again.

Incidentally I think BSG was 44 when the photo above was taken in 1969. How do I know that you may (or may not) ask! The answer is that the Free BMD (births, marriages and deaths) website shows the birth of a Basil S Gregory registered in the December quarter of 1924.
I concur ref. hardness, fairness, gymshoes and grudges, I had much the same experience with Greg.I recall going to his memorial service, must have been around Christmas 1975, maybe 1976. He became Band President in the early 70's which he took on very enthusiastically and I found this note from him while going through my old photos last week, I had completely forgotten about it. At the time the band had just done a concert in the then "new" theatre:-

J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

How nice, Robert.

In ten years, the use of Christian names appears.

It was never heard of in the early 60's, APART FROM, Chris Read who joined staff around '62 and taught printing and other 'manual' crafts.