Maine House Photos

Photos associated with Maine house

Moderator: Moderators

AndrewH
GE (Great Erasmus)
Posts: 162
Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2004 1:40 pm
Real Name: Andrew Harrison
Location: Cardiff
Contact:

Post by AndrewH » Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:52 pm

John Knight wrote:Which one is you Andrew? They all look too innocent...
Is that you with the tongue out, or the one slightly out of step?
Have a good Christmas, see you next year.
John.
I've been having trouble with that one. The one with his tongue out I think is Dom Fry ("Killer" Fry's son), I could be the one slightly out of step (or is it falling over??)

See you next year
Andrew Harrison
Maine A 1970-73
Lamb A 1973-77

Paul N
3rd Former
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:34 am
Real Name: Paul Newport
Location: Bristol

Post by Paul N » Mon Jan 08, 2007 8:27 pm

AndrewH wrote:
John Knight wrote:Which one is you Andrew? They all look too innocent...
Is that you with the tongue out, or the one slightly out of step?
Have a good Christmas, see you next year.
John.
I've been having trouble with that one. The one with his tongue out I think is Dom Fry ("Killer" Fry's son), I could be the one slightly out of step (or is it falling over??)

See you next year
Is Richard Fry still around ? The guy was a star.
Maine B, then Lamb B, 76-83

User avatar
Mid A 15
Button Grecian
Posts: 2932
Joined: Thu May 19, 2005 1:38 pm
Real Name: Claude Rains
Location: The Patio Of England (Kent)

Re: Maine House Photos

Post by Mid A 15 » Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:20 pm

Thanks to Julian please see below a Maine A photograph from Michaelmas Term 1966 as part of the whole school marching to Westminster Abbey for a service to commemorate the 900th anniversary of the Battle of Hastings.

As an aside I'm pretty sure at least some of the Hertford girls also were in attendance as I seem to remember seeing them marching with their blazers and boaters.

Click on image to enlarge.

Image
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72

User avatar
englishangel
Forum Moderator
Posts: 6955
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2005 12:22 pm
Real Name: Mary Faulkner (Vincett)
Location: Amersham, Buckinghamshire

Re: Maine House Photos

Post by englishangel » Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:34 pm

Mid A 15 wrote:Thanks to Julian please see below a Maine A photograph from Michaelmas Term 1966 as part of the whole school marching to Westminster Abbey for a service to commemorate the 900th anniversary of the Battle of Hastings.

As an aside I'm pretty sure at least some of the Hertford girls also were in attendance as I seem to remember seeing them marching with their blazers and boaters.

Click on image to enlarge.

Image
We wore Panamas not boaters, I don't think there is anyone on here who would have been in the sixth Form at that time and gone. I know we didn't all go. I come from "1066 Country" and HM the Queen and HRH Prince Philip made a visit at the time and met all the youth organisations. At the time I was a St john's ambulance cadet and have a photo of me from the local paper qwith the queen walking past. Prince Philip spoke to my cousin ( a Wolf cub as they were known then) who didn't have the foggiest who he was, but did have the presence of mind (and manners) to add 'sir' to his answer.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"

User avatar
Tommy
GE (Great Erasmus)
Posts: 174
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:32 pm
Real Name: Dave Tomkins MaB/MaA 1983-90

Re: Maine House Photos

Post by Tommy » Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:28 pm

Maine A in Summer Term 1990

Image
Dave Tomkins MaB/MaA 1983-90

Facebook Group Christ's Hospital Class of 1990 & Thereabouts
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id= ... 6403822891

bobcrawshaw
2nd Former
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 1:56 pm
Real Name: Bob Crawshaw

Re: Maine House Photos

Post by bobcrawshaw » Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:21 pm

Maine A summer 1969

Image

I'll have a go at the names from top to bottom:-

?, ?, Stickley, French, Farnfield, Johnson, ?, Courtney, Broadbridge, Lingham-Wood, Orchard?, Penny
Coupland,"Egg", ?, Fleetcroft, Wyatt, Morse, McKie, Roger ?, Larsen, Bird, Carpenter, Jones, Hodges
Sinclair, Sarel, Sheffield, Wade, Butcher, Oldham, Bacon, Starkey,?, Payne, Savage, Hatt-Lipscombe
?, Hall-Matthews, Pilbeam, Reed, Holdsworth, Miss Gracie, Gregory, Crisp, Burr, Walters, Lloyd
Crawshaw(me), Simpson, McCleod, Underwood, Timberlake, Hibbs, Goodwin, Dinsmore, Bell, Butler.
Ma.A 1968-1971 Col.A 1971-1975

User avatar
Mid A 15
Button Grecian
Posts: 2932
Joined: Thu May 19, 2005 1:38 pm
Real Name: Claude Rains
Location: The Patio Of England (Kent)

Re: Maine House Photos

Post by Mid A 15 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:17 pm

bobcrawshaw wrote:Maine A summer 1969

Image

I'll have a go at the names from top to bottom:-

?, ?, Stickley, French, Farnfield, Johnson, ?, Courtney, Broadbridge, Lingham-Wood, Orchard?, Penny
Coupland,"Egg", ?, Fleetcroft, Wyatt, Morse, McKie, Roger ?, Larsen, Bird, Carpenter, Jones, Hodges
Sinclair, Sarel, Sheffield, Wade, Butcher, Oldham, Bacon, Starkey,?, Payne, Savage, Hatt-Lipscombe
?, Hall-Matthews, Pilbeam, Reed, Holdsworth, Miss Gracie, Gregory, Crisp, Burr, Walters, Lloyd
Crawshaw(me), Simpson, McCleod, Underwood, Timberlake, Hibbs, Goodwin, Dinsmore, Bell, Butler.
A few of the question marks.

Back row: Robertson (or Robinson), Morge, Latter, agree Orchard

2nd row from back: "Egg" could be Heartfield. Heartfield in my year was known as "Egg" and I believe he had a younger brother. Tattersall is next to "Egg." Roger ? was Bysouth I believe.

3rd row from back: Not sure on this one but vaguely remember a guy called Southgate in Maine A could it be him?

2nd row from front: James Houghton is the guy next to Rev Hall-Matthews. I think "Reed" was actually "Read" but yes it is the metalwork teacher.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72

User avatar
J.R.
Forum Moderator
Posts: 14836
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2005 4:53 pm
Real Name: John Rutley
Location: Dorking, Surrey

Re: Maine House Photos

Post by J.R. » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:41 pm

Not B.S.Gregory, who used to teach Latin in the Prep Houses in the early 60's, perchance ?
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.

User avatar
Mid A 15
Button Grecian
Posts: 2932
Joined: Thu May 19, 2005 1:38 pm
Real Name: Claude Rains
Location: The Patio Of England (Kent)

Re: Maine House Photos

Post by Mid A 15 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:32 pm

J.R. wrote:Not B.S.Gregory, who used to teach Latin in the Prep Houses in the early 60's, perchance ?
Yes the very same.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72

bobcrawshaw
2nd Former
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 1:56 pm
Real Name: Bob Crawshaw

Re: Maine House Photos

Post by bobcrawshaw » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:20 pm

Mid A 15 wrote:
bobcrawshaw wrote:Maine A summer 1969

Image

I'll have a go at the names from top to bottom:-

?, ?, Stickley, French, Farnfield, Johnson, ?, Courtney, Broadbridge, Lingham-Wood, Orchard?, Penny
Coupland,"Egg", ?, Fleetcroft, Wyatt, Morse, McKie, Roger ?, Larsen, Bird, Carpenter, Jones, Hodges
Sinclair, Sarel, Sheffield, Wade, Butcher, Oldham, Bacon, Starkey,?, Payne, Savage, Hatt-Lipscombe
?, Hall-Matthews, Pilbeam, Reed, Holdsworth, Miss Gracie, Gregory, Crisp, Burr, Walters, Lloyd
Crawshaw(me), Simpson, McCleod, Underwood, Timberlake, Hibbs, Goodwin, Dinsmore, Bell, Butler.
A few of the question marks.

Back row: Robertson (or Robinson), Morge, Latter, agree Orchard

2nd row from back: "Egg" could be Heartfield. Heartfield in my year was known as "Egg" and I believe he had a younger brother. Tattersall is next to "Egg." Roger ? was Bysouth I believe.

3rd row from back: Not sure on this one but vaguely remember a guy called Southgate in Maine A could it be him?

2nd row from front: James Houghton is the guy next to Rev Hall-Matthews. I think "Reed" was actually "Read" but yes it is the metalwork teacher.

Yes, I confirm all of those including Southgate, it was Robertson not Robinson. If you asked me I would have said that "Egg" Heartfield was the younger of 2 Heartfields at CH but I am not sure.
Ma.A 1968-1971 Col.A 1971-1975

User avatar
Mid A 15
Button Grecian
Posts: 2932
Joined: Thu May 19, 2005 1:38 pm
Real Name: Claude Rains
Location: The Patio Of England (Kent)

Re: Maine House Photos

Post by Mid A 15 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:47 pm

bobcrawshaw wrote:
Mid A 15 wrote:
bobcrawshaw wrote:Maine A summer 1969

Image

I'll have a go at the names from top to bottom:-

?, ?, Stickley, French, Farnfield, Johnson, ?, Courtney, Broadbridge, Lingham-Wood, Orchard?, Penny
Coupland,"Egg", ?, Fleetcroft, Wyatt, Morse, McKie, Roger ?, Larsen, Bird, Carpenter, Jones, Hodges
Sinclair, Sarel, Sheffield, Wade, Butcher, Oldham, Bacon, Starkey,?, Payne, Savage, Hatt-Lipscombe
?, Hall-Matthews, Pilbeam, Reed, Holdsworth, Miss Gracie, Gregory, Crisp, Burr, Walters, Lloyd
Crawshaw(me), Simpson, McCleod, Underwood, Timberlake, Hibbs, Goodwin, Dinsmore, Bell, Butler.
A few of the question marks.

Back row: Robertson (or Robinson), Morge, Latter, agree Orchard

2nd row from back: "Egg" could be Heartfield. Heartfield in my year was known as "Egg" and I believe he had a younger brother. Tattersall is next to "Egg." Roger ? was Bysouth I believe.

3rd row from back: Not sure on this one but vaguely remember a guy called Southgate in Maine A could it be him?

2nd row from front: James Houghton is the guy next to Rev Hall-Matthews. I think "Reed" was actually "Read" but yes it is the metalwork teacher.

Yes, I confirm all of those including Southgate, it was Robertson not Robinson. If you asked me I would have said that "Egg" Heartfield was the younger of 2 Heartfields at CH but I am not sure.

My memory has been jogged and there were definitely two Heartfields. The elder "Egg" (Philip) was in my year and can be seen in the photo of Maine A marching to Westminster Abbey in the Michaelmas term of 1966, kindly posted by Julian on my behalf, higher up the thread.

He is next to Bob Pilbeam and in front of John Crisp.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72

User avatar
J.R.
Forum Moderator
Posts: 14836
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2005 4:53 pm
Real Name: John Rutley
Location: Dorking, Surrey

Re: Maine House Photos

Post by J.R. » Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:40 pm

Mid A 15 wrote:
J.R. wrote:Not B.S.Gregory, who used to teach Latin in the Prep Houses in the early 60's, perchance ?
Yes the very same.

I know time takes it's toll, and as a new 63 year old, I speak with experience, but BSG doesn't look as half as scary as I remember him in Latin classes in January 1958 !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.

User avatar
Mid A 15
Button Grecian
Posts: 2932
Joined: Thu May 19, 2005 1:38 pm
Real Name: Claude Rains
Location: The Patio Of England (Kent)

Re: Maine House Photos

Post by Mid A 15 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:12 pm

J.R. wrote:
Mid A 15 wrote:
J.R. wrote:Not B.S.Gregory, who used to teach Latin in the Prep Houses in the early 60's, perchance ?
Yes the very same.

I know time takes it's toll, and as a new 63 year old, I speak with experience, but BSG doesn't look as half as scary as I remember him in Latin classes in January 1958 !
Hard but fair is how I will always remember BSG. He was undeniably fond of wielding a gymshoe to a backside but it was invariably deserved, certainly in my case and I speak as one who received quite a few whacks, and he never bore a grudge. Once you were punished that was it - forgotten. One of my CH related regrets is that I returned to see friends still there in the year or so after leaving. I looked for BSG whilst there but was unable to find him and didn't bother to try a second time later. He died suddenly not long after so I never did see him again.

Incidentally I think BSG was 44 when the photo above was taken in 1969. How do I know that you may (or may not) ask! The answer is that the Free BMD (births, marriages and deaths) website shows the birth of a Basil S Gregory registered in the December quarter of 1924.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72

bobcrawshaw
2nd Former
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 1:56 pm
Real Name: Bob Crawshaw

Re: Maine House Photos

Post by bobcrawshaw » Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:05 pm

Mid A 15 wrote:
Hard but fair is how I will always remember BSG. He was undeniably fond of wielding a gymshoe to a backside but it was invariably deserved, certainly in my case and I speak as one who received quite a few whacks, and he never bore a grudge. Once you were punished that was it - forgotten. One of my CH related regrets is that I returned to see friends still there in the year or so after leaving. I looked for BSG whilst there but was unable to find him and didn't bother to try a second time later. He died suddenly not long after so I never did see him again.

Incidentally I think BSG was 44 when the photo above was taken in 1969. How do I know that you may (or may not) ask! The answer is that the Free BMD (births, marriages and deaths) website shows the birth of a Basil S Gregory registered in the December quarter of 1924.
I concur ref. hardness, fairness, gymshoes and grudges, I had much the same experience with Greg.I recall going to his memorial service, must have been around Christmas 1975, maybe 1976. He became Band President in the early 70's which he took on very enthusiastically and I found this note from him while going through my old photos last week, I had completely forgotten about it. At the time the band had just done a concert in the then "new" theatre:-

Image
Ma.A 1968-1971 Col.A 1971-1975

User avatar
J.R.
Forum Moderator
Posts: 14836
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2005 4:53 pm
Real Name: John Rutley
Location: Dorking, Surrey

Re: Maine House Photos

Post by J.R. » Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:19 pm

How nice, Robert.

In ten years, the use of Christian names appears.

It was never heard of in the early 60's, APART FROM, Chris Read who joined staff around '62 and taught printing and other 'manual' crafts.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest