Leigh Hunt House Photos...

Photos associated with Leigh Hunt house

Moderator: Moderators

J.R.
Forum Moderator

Re: Leigh Hunt House Photos...

Post by J.R. »

Miss Haigh hasn't seemed to have aged at all in this photo from when I went into Prep B in 1958 !!

AMAZING !!
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Fjgrogan
Button Grecian

Post by Fjgrogan »

Perhaps she had a portrait in the attic?
Frances Grogan (Haley) 6's 1956 - 62

'A clean house is a sign of a broken computer.'
Chrissie Boy
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Chrissie Boy »

pierre wrote:The one abiding memory I have of Miss Haigh in Prep A days, was the occasion (1962) when a family friend sent me a fruit cake for my birthday.
I was summoned to Matrons room, allowed to open said parcel and eat one small slice. The parcel was then rewrapped and returned to sender!! Cruelty or What??
Why, that's both sadistic and borderline-insane. Was any explanation offered? Was Miss Haigh worried that if you ate fruitcake you'd grow up to be one? Or that you'd grow up to be a fruit?

Whatever, it's appallingly Dickensian. Was Wackford Squeers your housemaster at the time?
Last edited by Chrissie Boy on Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Chrissie Boy wrote:
pierre wrote:The one abiding memory I have of Miss Haigh in Prep A days, was the occasion (1962) when a family friend sent me a fruit cake for my birthday.
I was summoned to Matrons room, allowed to open said parcel and eat one small slice. The parcel was then rewrapped and returned to sender!! Cruelty or What??
Why, that's both sadistic and borderline-insane. Was any explanation offered? Was Miss Haigh worried that if you ate fruitcake you'd grow up to be one?
Or that you'd grow up to be a fruit?

Whatever, it's appallingly Dickensian. Was Wackford Squeers your housemaster at the time?

The Rules and Regs were somewhat severe in those days.

Things changed after the departure of C.M.E.S, and a new incoming HM. After my time, though.
AHopkins
2nd Former

Post by AHopkins »

Thanks Stan for posting that picture of Leigh-Hunt A in the summer of 1969. It is priceless! It has had a somehwat unsettling effect on me, seeing myself and other contemporaries as we were more than 40 years ago. I vaguely remember signing your copy of it. Like you memories flood back--some happy, some sad, and a few too many that are downright disturbing.
Donsimone
3rd Former

Post by Donsimone »

[quote="Martin Chuzzletits"]Leigh Hunt B, Summer 1973

For full photo, click link http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll14 ... HB1973.jpg

A house photo from back in the days when we "went into flannels" in the summer term.

Wow, what a blast from the past, had a great cricketing summer that year, feels like yesterday.

Killer's LHB bootcamp - no whiff of the ashram there, less freedom-and-growth, more carrot-and-stick. Plenty of stick.
A man of his generation I think you could say, there was nothing yogic about Killer, no attempts to walk the hot coals in the Dayroom, or levitate during Morning Parade. However, he did manage his fair share of snake-charming and displayed an uncanny tea-brewing ability whereby the spoon almost stood to attention in the middle of the cup as witnessed during monitors' meetings in his study. A 'wet' of the muddiest manufacture.

I recall running away from CH during his first year as housemaster, got about 5oo yards out the maingate when his car pulled up and whisked me back, deeply irritated ( him, not the car ). Far as I know though, he never told a soul. Our little secret, as it were. Hats off.
Last conversation I had with him, must have been not long after this photo was taken, he seemed genuinely concerned that my preferred hairlength was going to get me into trouble in the Senior School. He was right. It was the time of The Hair Wars.

A strong ego-busting influence, he also had a pleasant family of his own, Dominic who was on our year, Verity and of course Mrs Killer - I think the title of 'Lady Killer' went to him :lol: .
And the two dogs, regularly seen after lunch belting past The Copse towards Big Side.

Fond memories - that period coincided with my last carefree time at CH - though happily there have been many since - so thanks for sending it in.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Strange you should mention the 'hair' issue.

Looking at this photo again only re-inforces my view how much difference half a decade can make.

If any of us in the juniors had been caught with hair that length in the early 60's, we would have been whisked straight up to the school sheep-shearer, (barber ?)

I seem to remember that juniors were expected to 'Get A Hair-Cut' AT LEAST once a fortnight.
Donsimone
3rd Former

Post by Donsimone »

Well, at the best of times, hair has great talismanic qualities as documented from the Bible onwards - Rev. Rob even took us to Brighton to see the 'Hair' musical around about that time.

I think you could dedicate an entire thread to 'Hair at CH in the late 20th Century'.

Given the 1970's cultural landscape, no surprise to see plenty of hirsuite figures but I think it went a bit beyond the usual 'crowning glory' at CH - one of the few ways to express your individualism when encased in that parent-pleasing garb. It felt good to be a 'Hair Rebel'. And it annoyed Newsome enormously.

There was a senior called David Bowie (!) who left when I was a 2nd former who became a cause celebre due to his flaming orange hair and his determination that it remain unshorn - Newsome finally relented and let him back to attend the leaving service after a few adjustments to his mane. A small blow for mankind.

I still wonder whether I shouldn't become a Sikh....you know, for old times' sake. :rock:
dsmg
UF (Upper Fourth)

Post by dsmg »

Donaldson wins in the hair stakes
Play up Pompey!
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

Why are some unfortunates still in Housey? Is it punishment or did they feel the cold?
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
dsmg
UF (Upper Fourth)

Post by dsmg »

Personal choice.
Yes, this photo brings back memories of long happy summer days. I'd actually just gone up to Thorn B so was a year above this lot but many names come flooding back. Phil Hughes, Harry Wooldridge, the Donaldsons, Johnny Walker, Ben Ramos, Sizer, McCurdie, Mckay, Hutchinson, Ward, the Sandys twins,our very own Don Simone of course. Any one remember the name of the other tutor (the Morrissey lookalike). Bob Hailey used to take his favourites out for cream teas to a nearby village. I was lucky enough to go once but only because I was a friend of Ray Pratley (later on to be Senior Grecian) who got invited every other week!
Play up Pompey!
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

dsmg wrote:Personal choice.
Yes, this photo brings back memories of long happy summer days. I'd actually just gone up to Thorn B so was a year above this lot but many names come flooding back. Phil Hughes, Harry Wooldridge, the Donaldsons, Johnny Walker, Ben Ramos, Sizer, McCurdie, Mckay, Hutchinson, Ward, the Sandys twins,our very own Don Simone of course. Any one remember the name of the other tutor (the Morrissey lookalike). Bob Hailey used to take his favourites out for cream teas to a nearby village. I was lucky enough to go once but only because I was a friend of Ray Pratley (later on to be Senior Grecian) who got invited every other week!
Yes the choice of flannels and blazer or Housey was always optional as I recall. Most chose that option too but there were always a few who did not for whatever reason.

Off topic (Can't get the smiley up I'm afraid) I'm delighted that the Portsmouth Supporters' Trust have finally gained control.

Hopefully this will mean some much needed stability even if you do have to drop to division 4 in old money.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
dsmg
UF (Upper Fourth)

Post by dsmg »

Yes Andy, I can't believe we're finally rid of all the shysters, gunrunners, mafiosos and false sheikhs. Play up Pompey, in whatever division they happen to be. We've been in Div 4 before and had fun, I remember travelling to see them play at outbacks like York, Donny, Brentford, Charlton ( :D your lot), Burnley, Darlington etc and most of those teams are higher than us now but at least we've got our team back.
Play up Pompey!
Donsimone
3rd Former

Post by Donsimone »

dsmg wrote: Any one remember the name of the other tutor (the Morrissey lookalike).
Alan Durden. Rather shy, not alltogether comfortable in his role, presumably placed there to learn the ropes under Killer's prodigious wing. I never spotted any Morrissey-style gladioli wilting out of his back pocket, you could say he never really blossomed that year :) . I confess I was guilty of depositing my fair share of teen angst on him, absolutely unfairly but I guess that went with the territory back then. Killer always stood up for him but there again he was the epitome of fairness.
Donsimone
3rd Former

Post by Donsimone »

dsmg wrote:Donaldson wins in the hair stakes
Not known as 'Fuzz' for nothing.