Leigh Hunt House Photos...

Photos associated with Leigh Hunt house

Moderator: Moderators

J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Good God ! - Miss Haigh !!

That brings back memories......

whenever someone was feeling a bit sick, the cry would go up....

'Don't be vague - Ask for Miss Haigh !'

A take off from the old Haigh scotch whisky advert !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Jim Rayner
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by Jim Rayner »

Stan wrote:Image

Continuing the theme of house photos I dug up my old one from late 1968 0r early 1969.
I can't remember why but I managed to get practically everybody to sign their names on the back of the picture including the staff.
To my embarassment there are some people in the photo who I cannot recall except all the teaching staff. There is a challenge out there for forum members to put signatures to faces.

It's quite strange to go back to an old photograph, which hasn't been looked at for 30 years, and have old memories flooding back. Mostly good (not sentimental) but also some less so. :shock:
Well I've signed the photo but I'm none too sure where I am on it. Most of the names, and a few of the faces, ring distant bells, but there are a few that I cannot recall.

It must have been taken in the summer of 1969. Dickie Dawe took over as Housemaster at the start of my second year, and the one person who is tragically missing from the photo is Richard Sears-Mullins who died in February 1969.

Actually, I think I must be the gormless looking one immediately behind Chris Nicholson and Miss Haigh.
Stan
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by Stan »

Hello Jim. Welcome to the forum.
You have guessed correctly where you are in the picture. Coincidently I am standing to your right with the embarassing pudding bowl haircut.
I echo your sentiment about Richard.
Jim Rayner
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by Jim Rayner »

Hello Stan, and thanks for the welcome.

And if you say that's you, I believe you! But I wouldn't have worked it out.
LHA 67-70; ThA 70-74
Crippen
3rd Former

Post by Crippen »

Not only a re-scrub, but you'd be asked to hold out your hand and Ajax, Vim or some other toxic powdered abrasive would be poured onto it so you could melt away the offending epidermis. Ah, those were the days.
Crippen
3rd Former

Post by Crippen »

Sorry, I replied to the wrong subject! This was about Miss Haigh of Leigh Hunt A/B to which there' a link on this page.
wurzel
Deputy Grecian

Re: Leigh Hunt House Photos...

Post by wurzel »

Here are a couple from summer 88 of LHA

and

Yes that is still Haigh as Matron
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

wurzel wrote:Here are a couple from summer 88 of LHA

http://www.chforum.info/pictures/LeighH ... 8ax640.jpg[/img][/url]

and

http://www.chforum.info/pictures/LeighH ... 8bx640.jpg

Yes that is still Haigh as Matron

Edited by me so that the two links work !
CHAZ
Grecian

Post by CHAZ »

I guess with John Dension being Housemaster here that this was Peele B thatthen became LHA...
I was in LHA as a 3rd former and LE and moved to PeB in 1980 as a UF...

Haig was also my matron in 1978-1980 and obviously had a long career at CH...
Charles Forster
PeB 1978-1984
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

CHAZ wrote:I guess with John Dension being Housemaster here that this was Peele B thatthen became LHA...
I was in LHA as a 3rd former and LE and moved to PeB in 1980 as a UF...

Haig was also my matron in 1978-1980 and obviously had a long career at CH...

Miss Haig(h) must have been devoted to CH.

She was Prep matron when I started in January 1958 !
wurzel
Deputy Grecian

Post by wurzel »

Maybe she just liked the flat - if she was prep matron in 58 then she lived in that flat for at least 30 years !!
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Quite an austere woman, if memory serves, but very sympathetic if you were ill !
Straz
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Straz »

The Leigh Hunt A photo from early 1969 is fascinating!
I arrived in LHA as a third-former in September 69, a few months after the photo was taken, so it's great to look back and remember some names from the distant past.
There were a few of us in LHA from the West London area, such as Dudley Der Parthog (who I'm still in touch with), John Haywood and Gareth Balle.
Anyone know what happened to John? My brother last saw him in the mid-70s at The Volunteer, a pub off Baker Street. John said he was off to Germany. And that was the last we heard of him. And what of Gareth Balle?
Inspired by the LHA photo, I have recently come across a photo from my Peele A days a few years later. Now if I can only get the scanner to work...
Paul Strange
Leigh Hunt A 1969-71
Peele A 71-75
Martin Chuzzletits
2nd Former

Post by Martin Chuzzletits »

Leigh Hunt B, Summer 1973

For full photo, click link http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll14 ... HB1973.jpg

A house photo from back in the days when we "went into flannels" in the summer term. If I've got anyone's first name wrong, I apologise.

In the front row, from left: Forbes Macdougall, Nigel Street, David Moncrieff, Peter Webb, Chris Downie, Guy Mastroianni, Chris Bell, Paul Luxmoore, Neil Adam, Toby Stewart, Martin Clay, Mike Hewitt, Jeremy Millree Hughes, Simon Long-Price, ? Wilkinson.

Second row: Steve Payne, Andrew Stewardson, Chris Morris, Philip Hughes, Bob "Suedehead" Hailey (house tutor), Anne Haigh (matron), Richard "Killer" Fry (housemaster), Miss MacDonald (assistant matron), Alan Durden (house tutor), Johnnie Walker, Simon Youll, Eddie Clark(e), John Donaldson.

Third row: Paddy Davi(e)s, Chris Ward, Peter Larking, Simon Chevill, Richard Shore, Mark Seckleman, Mike Donaldson, John Hutchinson, Toby Wright, Simon Carter, Richard McDonald, Michael Sketchley, Ben Sweeney, Ian McKay, Ian McCurdie, Hugh Titcombe, Andrew Sizer, Paul Potts (with Andrew ? Lane behind), Steven Barrett, Mark Millree Hughes.

Fourth row: John Sandys, Bill Bidell, Bevill Edwards, Simon Oecken, Simon Hillier, Andrew "Butch" Clarke, Ben Ramos, Paul Summers, Ian Maidment, Robin Holmes, Richard Adam, Harry Wooldridge, Sean Kerry-Williams, James Rowell, Richard Sandys.
pierre
3rd Former

Post by pierre »

The one abiding memory I have of Miss Haigh in Prep A days, was the occasion (1962) when a family friend sent me a fruit cake for my birthday.
I was summoned to Matrons room, allowed to open said parcel and eat one small slice. The parcel was then rewrapped and returned to sender!! Cruelty or What??
PrepA39/BA11/THA26