Photos associated with Prep houses

Moderator: Moderators

jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Prep B House Photos

Post by jtaylor »

From user "Rod Stuart":

Prep B 1957
(Click on the image for bigger version..)
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
Founder of The Unofficial CH Forum
https://www.grovegeeks.co.uk - IT Support and website design for home, small businesses and charities.
ben ashton
Grecian

Post by ben ashton »

are those school-issue haircuts?
Cherish pity; lest you drive an angel from your door

LaB 1, MidB 40, 97-02
jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Post by jtaylor »

They are all rather uniform aren't they!

Used to be, even when I was at CH, that grade 4 was the minimum on the back, and 8 on the top.
Anything less and you could be sent home till it grew!

J
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
Founder of The Unofficial CH Forum
https://www.grovegeeks.co.uk - IT Support and website design for home, small businesses and charities.
Rod Stuart
2nd Former

Post by Rod Stuart »

We used to have to have our hair cut by the barber behind the tuck shop; big guy with a wooden leg. No choice of cut of course, just short back and sides and out the door. John Rutley must remember.
AKAP
Grecian

Post by AKAP »

Rod Stuart wrote:We used to have to have our hair cut by the barber behind the tuck shop; big guy with a wooden leg. No choice of cut of course, just short back and sides and out the door. John Rutley must remember.
How could anyone forget.
We used to try and skip off, getting someone else to sign the book.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

I think you must be correct on the date Rod, coz I'm not in this photo. I started January 1958.

I do recognise several people who went on up to Coleridge B.

Minnett: MacCleod: Peter Donaldson, (now working in Dubai): Bennett, (Deceased): Atkins: Neil-Smith (?), and a couple I can't put names to.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

The only person I recognise is Guy Shorey, who is a year older than me.
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
DavebytheSea
Forum Moderator

Post by DavebytheSea »

When I first went to CH, the only silver plaque was that for the RMS worn (as shown in the picture) on the left shoulder. However, during my time there (I think) the RAF - Barnes Wallis - plaque arrived. Now there appear to be many more and I notice that they have migrated from the shoulder to the left breast. Why and when did this happen?
David Eastburn (Prep B and Mid A 1947-55)
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

I seem to remember about four plaques, Dave, including the two you mention, but can't recall what the others were.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Another name has just dawned.

Centre row, seventh from left is.... Andrew Evans, who appears in the Coleridge B house photo., 2nd Row down, fourth from the right, here....

viewtopic.php?p=30321#30321
michael scuffil
Button Grecian

Post by michael scuffil »

There is at least one future SG in this pic: Frank Hunter (SG 65/66 I think) is seated 4th from right.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

A couple more names for you.

2nd Row seated: 3rd from left as you view MacCleod (?sp) senior, who went on to become Detective Inspector, West Sussex Constabulary and at one time staioned at Horsham.

4th Row Standing: 6th from left with glasses. Bennett, who was in Coleridge B with me. I'm told he died in the States at a young age some years ago.

3rd Row Standing: 4th from Left. Donaldson. I was in touch with him until a couple of years ago when he was working in Dubai.

There are also a couple of very familiar faces in the front row who preceeded me to Coleridge B by one year, but names escape me at the moment.
postwarblue
Deputy Grecian

Re: Prep B House Photos

Post by postwarblue »

Haircuts: When I arrived in the Prep in 1946 and for a while thereafter a creature called the Sheepshearer used to go round the houses cutting hair in the bootroom, short back and sides. It would not have occurred to us to ask for a particular style. He was replaced about 1950 by a pair of professional barbers (well, at least they had more kit than the Sheepshearer) who set up in the Court Room annexe. I can't recall there was any idea of a choice of style. That's all modern stuff, teenagers hadn't been invented then. The results can be seen on the Col A house photo series in the shot of the Dining Hall. The drill was that a monitor would walk down the long table telling anyone who needed a haircut to go and get one. Brylcreem was popular and worn to excess on Confirmation Day in order to gum up old Bishop Bell, the one who had been against bombing the Germans quite so hard (traitor! - and spoilsport).

Plates: there was a Stock's Gift plate (one or two only) and one other. In 1954 when I got my buttons down came my RMS plate (which, as a 'volunteer', I hadn't had for long). The plate went back into circulation via Matron & the wardrobe presumably. I now see that Grecians continue to wear their plates. Indeed they have moved downhill, one of those creeping changes I suppose like Grecians buttoning their cuffs.
'Oh blest retirement, friend to life's decline'
michael scuffil
Button Grecian

Post by michael scuffil »

postwarblue wrote: Plates: there was a Stock's Gift plate (one or two only) and one other. In 1954 when I got my buttons down came my RMS plate (which, as a 'volunteer', I hadn't had for long). The plate went back into circulation via Matron & the wardrobe presumably. I now see that Grecians continue to wear their plates. Indeed they have moved downhill, one of those creeping changes I suppose like Grecians buttoning their cuffs.
Some plates were always retained by Grecians, the RAF one for instance. It was mainly the RMS plates that for historical reasons had to be given up. Grecians were in the "Grammar School" in the London system, so they couldn't be simultaneously in the Mathematical School.
Th.B. 27 1955-63
John Knight
Deputy Grecian

Post by John Knight »

postwarblue wrote:Haircuts: When I arrived in the Prep in 1946 and for a while thereafter a creature called the Sheepshearer used to go round the houses cutting hair in the bootroom, short back and sides.
Well done Robert, that brought back a few memories... I thought the barbers name was Sweeney Todd but as I have said before, your memory of this period is far better than mine.
Is there anybody with a Prep B photograph of the 1946/8 era?
John
Prep B 49 / Barnes B 39 - 1946-1952