Who is going to the Bax and Beating Retreat?

Want to tell Old Blues about a school event? Tell them what it is, when and where to come...

Moderator: Moderators

J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

I think Sir Bob has gone a touch too far this time.

Loved the funny on 'Have I Got news..........'

When told Sir Bob and Co were organising another concert for the third world starving, one African country sent him a telegram.

"We're not THAT hungry... !" :wink:
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

OK, one year on...........

Saturday 8th. this year. A few pints in the Bax at lunchtime might be a nice idea.

Anyone going along?
Ba.A / Mid. B 1972 - 1978

Thee's got'n where thee cassn't back'n, hassn't?
cj
Button Grecian

Post by cj »

I'd love to see the Retreat again. I loved the rehearsals for it, out in the sunshine with the school watching. What a fantastic way to end the school year. My dad must have several on video. However, the date clashes with the opening of our town carnival, and with daughter no. 1 as the Carnival Princess this year, priorities are elsewhere!
Catherine Standing (Cooper) Image
Canteen Cath 1.12 (1983-85) & Col A 20 (1985-90)

Any idiot can deal with a crisis. It takes a genius to cope with everyday life.
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

Carnival Princess, eh? Sounds like you'd be in deep trouble if you missed that one!
Ba.A / Mid. B 1972 - 1978

Thee's got'n where thee cassn't back'n, hassn't?
Tim_MaA_MidB
Deputy Grecian

Post by Tim_MaA_MidB »

Hannoir wrote:Saturday 9th? Oh, I will be well on my way to NZ then, in fact, about to land...never mind!
I will be in Brazil by then.... looks like we are leaving the sinking ship! Or should that be the pint sinking ship?
Last edited by Tim_MaA_MidB on Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

We're hoping to make it down, subject to transport arrangements !

(No mentioning cracked ribs RR ! Confirmed this morning.)
Hannoir
Deputy Grecian

Post by Hannoir »

I'm not sure yet. I will actually be in the country this time. It depends whether any of my comrades will be there.
"All I need to be happy is a little house with a small yard, a white-picket fence, some trees in the yard, and some of my enemies hanging on the trees."

-Poet, Heinrich Heine

BA/GrE 00-02
Hendrik
Deputy Grecian

Post by Hendrik »

are we allowed to bax or not then? i take it HR was joking when he said not...

right?
Mrs C.
Button Grecian

Post by Mrs C. »

it`s now under new management - who knows!!
The best way to forget your troubles is to wear tight shoes.
Hannoir
Deputy Grecian

Post by Hannoir »

Heh. Maybe at lunchtime. I'm not sure I can deal with all the young whippersnappers being cool whilst drunk.
"All I need to be happy is a little house with a small yard, a white-picket fence, some trees in the yard, and some of my enemies hanging on the trees."

-Poet, Heinrich Heine

BA/GrE 00-02
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Hannoir wrote:I'm not sure yet. I will actually be in the country this time. It depends whether any of my comrades will be there.
As you get on this forum, I feel sure there will be comrades there !
cj
Button Grecian

Post by cj »

Richard Ruck wrote:Carnival Princess, eh? Sounds like you'd be in deep trouble if you missed that one!
My life would not be worth living. Not only do I have to apply make-up (subdued and just enough to bring out her youthful, dewy freshness) and do the hair for each event, I have to walk behind the processional car half way around bl**dy Tavistock. Get this for a laugh - something to do with health and safety and the wellbeing of the little darlings. What precisely is going to happen to them at 5 miles an hour on closed-off roads? I'm more likely to get run over walking behind the s*dding car and squashed by the floats following us. Anyway, as the Dowager Queen Step-Mother (or something) I feel I ought to have suitable transport myself. A couple of sturdy fellows and a sedan chair should do.
Catherine Standing (Cooper) Image
Canteen Cath 1.12 (1983-85) & Col A 20 (1985-90)

Any idiot can deal with a crisis. It takes a genius to cope with everyday life.
Tim_MaA_MidB
Deputy Grecian

Post by Tim_MaA_MidB »

something to do with health and safety and the wellbeing of the little darlings. What precisely is going to happen to them at 5 miles an hour on closed-off roads?
bleh...Nanny State!

:evil:
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

cj wrote:
Richard Ruck wrote:Carnival Princess, eh? Sounds like you'd be in deep trouble if you missed that one!
My life would not be worth living. Not only do I have to apply make-up (subdued and just enough to bring out her youthful, dewy freshness) and do the hair for each event, I have to walk behind the processional car half way around bl**dy Tavistock. Get this for a laugh - something to do with health and safety and the wellbeing of the little darlings. What precisely is going to happen to them at 5 miles an hour on closed-off roads? I'm more likely to get run over walking behind the s*dding car and squashed by the floats following us. Anyway, as the Dowager Queen Step-Mother (or something) I feel I ought to have suitable transport myself. A couple of sturdy fellows and a sedan chair should do.
My home town has a Bonfire Night carnival (East Sussex is famous for them) and when I was about 11 I went in fancy dress as a bonfire. a cone shape made of hessian with bracken tied/sewn onto it. Fortunately my Dad walked in the procession behind me because some stupid b*****d threw a match at me. The only time I have EVER heard him use an even slightly rude word.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

I take it you are referring to that most beautiful town, Lewes, Mary ! We were down there browsing the shops recently.

You didn't mention the TRUE reason for their bonfire celebrations. I take it that a certain religious group might get upset if you did ! Not PC in this day and age, (allegedly) !