CH Forum at Old Blues Day?

Want to tell Old Blues about a school event? Tell them what it is, when and where to come...

Moderator: Moderators

DavebytheSea
Forum Moderator

CH Forum at Old Blues Day?

Post by DavebytheSea »

Re: Old Blues Day, 17th September
One for you then JT! Why not set up a stall about the CHforum? Members could meet (for a beer?) and non-members could see what they were missing! How about it?
David Eastburn (Prep B and Mid A 1947-55)
jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Post by jtaylor »

I've certainly been considering doing some flyers about the forum. Would be good to put some more faces to names, a drink somewhere would be good.

I'm likely to be there on Old Blues Day anyway, as a member of the CHA Board, so may need to balance the two activities....any offers of help/support input from anyone else for the forum side?

It says a lot that I this is my first Old Blues Day I'll have made it to since I left I think! Not something I'm proud of, but it proves I guess that it's never been a huge draw for me......

J
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
Founder of The Unofficial CH Forum
https://www.grovegeeks.co.uk - IT Support and website design for home, small businesses and charities.
DavebytheSea
Forum Moderator

Post by DavebytheSea »

mmmm! I think the face of the forum should represent it's youthful vibrancy! That let's me out - but I will be there and will certainly drop in for a drink if that is a goer!
David Eastburn (Prep B and Mid A 1947-55)
jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Post by jtaylor »

[Split into it's own thread - easier to attract some interest - JT]
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
https://www.grovegeeks.co.uk - IT Support and website design for home, small businesses and charities.
Hendrik
Deputy Grecian

Post by Hendrik »

Sounds like a good plan! Where would the stall be? Do they have stalls in Big School on OB's day?
jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Post by jtaylor »

Here's an idea:

1. We knock-up a forum advert for download, standard A4 or 2 x A5 (two copies on each page)
2. Every active forum member that's going to Old Blues day prints out a load of copies, and circulates them at Old Blues day....lunchtime, walking round the school, those watching sport etc. etc.?

Spreads the load, more proactive than a stall, and shows that the membership is trying to spread the word...........

Thoughts?

J
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

That sounds like a great idea to me...

But we need to get the school on our side...
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Post by jtaylor »

Still working on that - but not having huge luck really.
There's still a concern over some of the content, and negative impression it gives of both school and the management of the school (Ridley Society articles etc. etc.)
I can see their point of view, when the most vocal aren't always right, however we have some decisions moving forward.

Still plan to try to get down there to talk to Mike Harrod and others when time allows - difficult to make progress though.

J
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

I don't think it does give a negative view of the school really - it gives a balanced view of the school which I think it's important...

If the school has issues with the Ridley society, they should answer their criticisms and not hide behind veiled curtains and all that!
jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Post by jtaylor »

I think the issue with the "Ridley Society" is that's it's one man - there is a membership (from what Neil says) but the membership is not public.

If the membership feel as strongly as Neil does (and he's clearly very passionate about the issues he raises) then that membership should come forward and declare their interest, with Neil as their fully-supported chairpoerson? This would most certainly add credence to the claims/accusations, and would most certainly require a response?

I'm too new to all of the CH organisation etc. to be able to "take sides" on any of this, however i guess it's impossible for the school to devote time and resources to constant responses to what is (on the surface of it) a one man view?

Just to reconfirm - I'm not taking sides on this, just trying to imagine what might be the school's view on this....

J
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

I think the idea of some flyers is a good one - as this is the 'unofficial' forum having a stall may imply some sort of 'official' link with the school, and the authorities may indeed still have some concerns about this.

For me, 'unofficial' implies that a certain distance should maintained between this forum and C.H. itself, albeit that this can be a great place to share opportunites, make announcements about Old Blues events etc. (as is already happening).

However, personally, I agree with Great Plum - this forum does NOT present the school in a negative light (although some of the discussions about nefarious goings-on would undoubtedly not make it into an official prospectus!)

I think the fact that so many people still care enough about C.H. and the effect it has had on their lives that they come to this forum to discuss their experiences, even decades after leaving, demonstrates that the school has been and remains a good thing.

Perhaps a simple get-together at the Bax beforehand (the Retreat?) to exchange a few ideas may be a good idea.......
Ba.A / Mid. B 1972 - 1978

Thee's got'n where thee cassn't back'n, hassn't?
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

I think perhaps at the Retreat (Bax! :) ) could be a good plan! :)
Hendrik
Deputy Grecian

Post by Hendrik »

motion seconded, Mr Plum. :D

:drinkers:
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

Hendrik wrote:motion seconded, Mr Plum. :D

:drinkers:
Be good to meet alocholc Guiness drinking smilies! ;)
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

Well, this all died a death, didn't it?

Anyway, re. the C.H.Association 'informal meeting' in the Court Room on Old Blues Day - the C.H. Association website calls it " .... an informal chat with the CH Association Advisory Board in the Court Room at 11.30am".

The brochure which was posted to everyone says that it is an "informal meeting for section secretaries or their representatives to meet with Christ's Hospital Association Advisory Board and Management Team".

A little clarification would be useful here, I think. If this is intended purely as a get-together for section secretaries etc. then perhaps this should be made clear on the C.H.A. site.

If it is intended to be a sort of introductory session open to all, then maybe an e-mail should be circulated via this site and via the Old Blues site to draw everyone's attantion to it.
Ba.A / Mid. B 1972 - 1978

Thee's got'n where thee cassn't back'n, hassn't?