PE kit

Area for current parents, past parents and future parents of Blues or Old Blues.

Moderator: Moderators

lippizaner
GE (Great Erasmus)

PE kit

Post by lippizaner »

Hi,
we just went today and picked up the PE kit for our son who is starting in the second form next week.
I got it home and have just finished sewing in the name tabs.
THEN I noticed the washing instructions on most of it - DO NOT TUMBLE DRY - HANG UP TO DRY ONLY.
Does the school do this with ALL the PE kit that goes through the laundry?
Goodness, whoever decided it was a good idea to order PE kit that can't be tumble dried?
I was MORE than surprised to see this in most of the kit and tremble to think what state it might return home in after being tumble dried. I can't imagine there is enough line space at school to hang dry all the kit.
Isn't this a bit odd?
Surely old style cotton rugby tops that you can definitely tumble dry would be better? Nice as the new style kit is.
pinkhebe
Deputy Grecian

Re: PE kit

Post by pinkhebe »

I'm not sure what the newer pe kit is like, I have stuff from the thrift shop, but I've never checked it's tumbledryness! Is it the kind of fabric that comes out of the washing machine nearly dry, a bit like swimming trunks? Anyway, I think that sports kit gets washed on a certain day, so maybe they're geared up for it, or they can tumble dry it on low and it's ok?

We've never had an issue with any of ds's stuff being ruined by the laundry, I might go and check the label in his rugby tops, but they're packed and I'm not sure I can face it!
CHDad
Deputy Grecian

Post by CHDad »

We haven't had any problems with the Kukri stuff, indeed it is lasting well. However does anyone know how I can get a few new items, the school website form suggests it should have been submitted in April! I will try the thrift shop of course .
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

lippizaner wrote:Hi,
we just went today and picked up the PE kit for our son who is starting in the second form next week.
THEN I noticed the washing instructions on most of it - DO NOT TUMBLE DRY - HANG UP TO DRY ONLY.
Goodness, whoever decided it was a good idea to order PE kit that can't be tumble dried?
I was MORE than surprised to see this in most of the kit and tremble to think what state it might return home in after being tumble dried. I can't imagine there is enough line space at school to hang dry all the kit.
Isn't this a bit odd?
Surely old style cotton rugby tops that you can definitely tumble dry would be better? Nice as the new style kit is.

Perhaps Mrs C or Barnes Matron could answer this question for you ?
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
lippizaner
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by lippizaner »

What is the old PE kit like then Pinkhebe?
This is that kind of nylonny stuff rather, as you suggested, like swimwear, and I always tumble the swimwear at our house.
Maybe it does come out nearly dry.
I shall cross my fingers but I have heard terrible stories about the CH laundry, including what they do to poppers on duvet covers so I live in fear.
pinkhebe
Deputy Grecian

Post by pinkhebe »

lippizaner wrote: I shall cross my fingers but I have heard terrible stories about the CH laundry, including what they do to poppers on duvet covers so I live in fear.
I made sure that ds's duvets had buttons and not poppers (they go funny in my machine, heaven knows what CH laundry would do to them!) Luckily primark duvet covers have buttons, but I did look strange trying to check the fastenings through the packet :lol:

Is your son excited?
wickedwitch
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by wickedwitch »

hi, i have girls tracksuit aged 13-14 that is now too small for my gal (she shot up over the hols) I'm interested in selling it and buying second hand bigger track suit off anyone that might have a 'small' size.

Nicky x
wide awake on the edge of the world
Barnes Mum
Deputy Grecian

Post by Barnes Mum »

J.R. wrote:
Isn't this a bit odd?

All the laundry, including the sports kit, gets tumble dried. None that I know of has been ruined in the laundry process yet, so they must know what they're doing! :wink:
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Barnes Mum wrote:
J.R. wrote:
Isn't this a bit odd?

All the laundry, including the sports kit, gets tumble dried. None that I know of has been ruined in the laundry process yet, so they must know what they're doing! :wink:

(Suppresses a cheeky giggle !!)
SAS
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by SAS »

The only thing I would not put in the tumble is (girl's) swimming cosie as it wrecks the lycra.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

SAS wrote:The only thing I would not put in the tumble is (girl's) swimming cosie as it wrecks the lycra.

There just HAS to be a 'funny' in that remark somewehere !
SAS
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by SAS »

I dare you! Hee hee.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

SAS wrote:I dare you! Hee hee.

I'll have to think about it !

On second thoughts,........................