Scouts

Area for current parents, past parents and future parents of Blues or Old Blues.

Moderator: Moderators

Antinous1
3rd Former

Scouts

Post by Antinous1 »

Does anyone know what's happening with the CH Scouts? My child seems to be under the impression that the troop is about to be wound up, which does seem a real shame (if it's true) as it's one of the oldest in the country I believe. Also is it true that pupils will no longer be joining CCF in LE, but will have to wait until the following year? Again that would seem a shame if true as I don't think my child was the only one to enjoy it a great deal during their LE year.

I'm hoping that the Scouts at least is just a misunderstanding on my child's part.

Antinous
CHDad
Deputy Grecian

Re: Scouts

Post by CHDad »

I have also heard that it is closing
pinkhebe
Deputy Grecian

Post by pinkhebe »

I have to say it doesn't do itself any favours by being an active. My son would love to continue with it, but with so many other things to do, sadly scouts has slid somewhat.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Surely, this was discussed a year or so ago ?

Sad, if true.

Someone must know. It's a shame Josh still isn't around to rally the troops.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
YadaYada
Deputy Grecian

Post by YadaYada »

I agree with Pinkhebe, it is a real shame that is has been an active. The younger students who Scouts need to get in have to do 2 sports actives a week leaving little choice for other things. I think it would be better if Scouts could have been instead of one of the sports actives.
Antinous1
3rd Former

Post by Antinous1 »

pinkhebe wrote:I have to say it doesn't do itself any favours by being an active.
Yes, I'd have to agree that the change to being an active was probably the final straw. I thought the whole point of actives is that you choose a different one each time and get to try out a whole range of things, whereas an activity like scouts really needs a regular attendance or it just won't work. Such a shame - I know that they were struggling to keep numbers up and that people have said (can't remember if it was here or on the 'official' forum) that joining the scouts at CH was akin to 'social suicide', but I think it provided a very valuable activity for those children who found it fun. Not all the children who join CH find their feet socially straight away and I got the impression that scouts was a good way of finding some like-minded company from different houses and years for some of them.

Antinous
YadaYada
Deputy Grecian

Post by YadaYada »

My DS went a couple of times. He says he would have chosen it regularly if he could have done instead of one of his sports.

There has been a petition against the closure but no major campaign on campus - according to DS
pinkhebe
Deputy Grecian

Post by pinkhebe »

YadaYada wrote:
There has been a petition against the closure but no major campaign on campus - according to DS
My son has heard nothing of the closure. He does continue with scouts at home when he is able to, he's going on their summer camp.