How much "stuff"?!

Area for current parents, past parents and future parents of Blues or Old Blues.

Moderator: Moderators

J.R.
Forum Moderator

Re: How much

Post by J.R. »

Fjgrogan wrote:Sorry JR - couldn't resist it! Where is Englishangel when we need her to take take charge of us pedants?!

I do believe she's succumbed, (you can't be done for it), to the pleasures of Facebook.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Volupturaptor
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Volupturaptor »

Volupturaptor wrote: Stuff, yes, most definitely far too much of it. Yet I was so stern about it at the beginning of term... :roll:
Next term, must try harder! :lol:
Oh dear, I've just been told once again, that she has too much stuff. :shock:
Don't they all? I mean, I did try to be strict about how much she took back with her at the start of term, but there is so much they HAVE to have, and surely they should be allowed to have SOME other stuff, but how much? Every time I said "You can't/don't need to take that" she said "But X, Y and Z take theirs..."
:?
Atticus
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Atticus »

Who's told you she has too much stuff? I can't believe you've sent her with too much. My dd takes 3 cases - 2 large ones and all the bedding and dressing gown and duvet goes in one, most of her clothes and her shoes go in the other one with all the sports kit, and then there's a smaller one with all her books, stationery, toiletries, froglets (!), and the other gumf - iPod, camera, hairdryer. She uses the smaller one for half term. Then she's got her tuck box and violin.

She has forgotten the odd thing, like her fob, and some optional prep that she's left at home, which we have had to do an extra trip for, but only because, for us, it was easer than posting it.

Next term I'm assuming that it will be a bit less, with the civvies bring much lighter :lol:
Volupturaptor
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Volupturaptor »

Her house mistress told me she has too much stuff. She went with a big suitcase for all her clothes and personal items, a large holdall for all her bedding and towels, a small holdall for her shoes, and a carrier bag full of tuck.
My daughter is extrememly untidy, and I do believe that even if she took nothing other than the absolute essentials she still would be.
I had to muck out her room here the other day, as our landlady wanted to do her yearly inspection. I'm going to have to get really tough with her about keeping it tidy during the holiday, but really, how can I be responsible for the state of her room at school? *Sigh...*
CHDad
Deputy Grecian

Post by CHDad »

My son was also exteremely untidy. I therefore made the decision to reduce the amount of stuff he took back this term and this does seem to have helped. Mind you we are local so it was easy for me to send him with less stuff and then drop anything extra in he required.
YadaYada
Deputy Grecian

Post by YadaYada »

What is all this 'stuff'?

I must admit I do look at other people's luggage when they go back to school and wonder what on earth it all is?

I can't imagine what 'stuff' they need that would take up all this space.
Atticus
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Atticus »

My dd seems to take quite a few civvies, But everything fits completely into her desk and wardrobe. She has some coathangers, and some storage boxes that zip together from ikea and fit the wardrobe cubby holes perfectly. We bought a clothes hook that hangs over the side of the bunk for her winter civvi coat. The biggest issue we have had was a pot of narcissi that upended in a shoulderbag depositing compost everywhere including her at last leave weekend. :lol:

The girls in her room happily share the extras that they bring, dd has the hairdryer and some travel games, another has straighteners, another has knitting needles and wool, and another nail polish...
Volupturaptor
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Volupturaptor »

YadaYada wrote:What is all this 'stuff'?

I must admit I do look at other people's luggage when they go back to school and wonder what on earth it all is?

I can't imagine what 'stuff' they need that would take up all this space.
Duvet
2 pillows
Blanket
2 duvet covers
4 pillow cases
2 fitted sheets
4 bath towels
A small mountain of sports kit
10 lots of socks/underwear
2 pairs of trousers
3 or 4 T shirts
2 jumpers
DM's
Trainers
Astro shoes
Shoes
Pencil case
Wash bag, with full size bottles.

That's an awful lot of "Stuff" on it's own, the other little bits don't really take up much bag space at all!
She doesn't have a hairdryer, cd player, dvd player etc. She does have a soft toy, but it's not a huge one. A personalised mug, pack of tissues, mobile phone & charger, diary... Nothing out of the ordinary, at least I didn't think so... :?
Ok, the tuck amounts to a bagful, but that has a home of it's own, and gradually disappears.
Atticus
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Atticus »

No, it's not a lot - certainly less than my dd who takes way more civvies ! She's just about packed for home already :shock:

And my dd gets really annoyed with herself if she drops to an A in room inspection. What with that, learning to knit, learning to hand wash, and the adding of hot water to pot noodles, she's finally becoming domesticated ...... But I am waiting to see if the clothes aren't inside out :lol:
CHDad
Deputy Grecian

Post by CHDad »

I think there is a temptation in the first few terms to take too many "civvies" whereas in reality they do not need very many. I decided to reduce the amount of civvies as every time I saw my son at CH all he was wearing was the same t shirt and jeans, the huge stock of ineteresting and varied clothes I sent him with remained in the wardrobe!
pinkhebe
Deputy Grecian

Post by pinkhebe »

My son has more stuff than that! (although only 1 pillow) We end up with a large suitcase, a large bag on wheels, ikea bag for bedding and 2 rucksacs.

We have got better at bringing stuff home at leave weekends if he's taking something different back, otherwise there is loads at the end of term!
YadaYada
Deputy Grecian

Post by YadaYada »

Volupturaptor,

that doesn't seem too much - that is the essentials and pretty what my DS takes. I wonder what they expect her to leave behind!

Perhaps it is more a matter of tidiness than too much stuff :)
Mrs C.
Button Grecian

Post by Mrs C. »

despite living on site, both my daughters managed to need at least 2 car trips to bring everything home whenever they had to clear their rooms.
They still can`t travel light!
The best way to forget your troubles is to wear tight shoes.
Volupturaptor
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Volupturaptor »

YadaYada wrote:Volupturaptor,

that doesn't seem too much - that is the essentials and pretty what my DS takes. I wonder what they expect her to leave behind!

I think that's it exactly, tidiness, or rather lack of it. She's actually so bad that she's been punished for repeatedly being untidy. Surely sooner or later she'll learn from it? She is after all, a reasonably intelligent girl. Supposedly. :?
pinkhebe
Deputy Grecian

Post by pinkhebe »

Volupturaptor wrote:
YadaYada wrote:Volupturaptor,

I think that's it exactly, tidiness, or rather lack of it. She's actually so bad that she's been punished for repeatedly being untidy. Surely sooner or later she'll learn from it? She is after all, a reasonably intelligent girl. Supposedly. :?
My son 'won' the house trophy for 'most untidy room' last term :oops: