birthdays

Area for current parents, past parents and future parents of Blues or Old Blues.

Moderator: Moderators

MW224
LE (Little Erasmus)

Re: birthdays

Post by MW224 »

It must be very hard not to be with your child on his / her birthday, I can so imagine it (I think my ds is just in Easter half term so am ok this year), but I am sure you ll have a special day when he comes home next time! Our ds was quite upset to miss his brother's birthday, so we ve planned to do the party during ds's leave weekend, so he is not missing out completely.
As a parent it must pull on your heart strings so I hope you ve got some good friends around you on the day xxx
cupcakemom
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by cupcakemom »

The comings and goings of this tread have passed me by today - but I'd just like to add my two-penny's worth (I'm sure there's some clever way to spell two-penny!). I'm lucky that DD's birthday always falls in the October half term - but she's always felt hard done by as she's never had a birthday in school. I think maybe she feels a bit differently about it now she's at boarding school though. So she could celebrate at school I sent her back with some homemade cakes to share out. By all accounts it went down well and she was chuffed to bits. Sometimes those simple touches are quite sufficient to raise a smile.

Because she struggled with homesickness when she went back after half term I decided to give her something short term to look forward to - we'd take her out to lunch on Sunday (yesterday). Although I only live an hour away - the journey uses my "petrol allowance" for a week - so this is not something I can afford to do either regularly or on a whim. Leave weekends are just about affordable.

Oh great plans of mice and men. She was fine when I picked her up and over lunch but as the afternoon went on she became more and more sad. By the time we were driving back to school she was in floods of tears as was her younger sister. In hindsight, it was a bad idea. I know had I not turned up she'd have had a blast with her chums, painted her toe nails, messed about ... usual stuff. I would have saved a few quid too! She's since pleaded with me on the phone to come down again one weekend ... promising she'll be happy ... blaming tiredness (late night in the house) ... promising no tears ... I'm not so sure!

So - I think what I'm trying to say is actually - you could well be doing your DD or DS a favour by not being able to visit often. I know in my case it would be no advantage to my DD whatsoever!
Never underestimate the power of a Mummy!
Antinous1
3rd Former

Post by Antinous1 »

Thanks guys! It was a momentary wobble (wibble?) and I'm feeling better now. I definitely know this is my problem and not my child's, who clearly thinks birthdays at schools are great fun. MW224 is right though that siblings can often mind most of all when one of them is not there for a birthday. Sounds like the Lincs crew had a fun trip to the school :D

Antinous
CHDad
Deputy Grecian

Post by CHDad »

I visit quite often purely because we live very close by, therefore cost does not really come into it. Mind you I usually only visit to watch sports matches. I used to take my D.S out on Sundays sometimes but nowadays he prefers to stay at school. Now my son is used to CH I dont think he would be that bothered if I didn't visit, I do it more because I miss him rather than the other way around (I also throughly enjoy watching the games matches)! I do find that when D.S is at school he is totally into CH mode and is not very interested in what is happening at home or with his old friends. When he is at home he is not that interested in CH, he reverts to his old friends. His Birthday will always be in the summer hols so I have not had to address that problem, mind you I think he would really enjoy it if he could have his Birthday at school!
pinkhebe
Deputy Grecian

Post by pinkhebe »

We are also lucky that both ds and his younger brother's birthdays usually fall in the Easter holidays, although they had a little party in the housemasters house when his room mate had his birthday last term.

We only went to visit him last Sunday because I think he got a bit bored one Sunday when his room mate went out with his parents, I don't think it'll be a common occurence. Luckily Horsham is about half way between us and the granparents, so they are comming down on Wednesday to watch the Lunch parade and a football match (but I think they are more excited than ds!) and we also need to swap a large xmas present over!
SAS
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by SAS »

Sounds like the Lincs crew had a fun trip to the school
We did - thanks! The concert was fantastic. And it is not something that we do often - sadly. I would love to be able to see her more often, in sports events etc. So when she is in the concert or a play I try to make it. We were really lucky with the traffic too as it only took 2hrs 40 there and 3 hrs back!
MW224
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by MW224 »

We saw concert too, agree it was amazing, what a high standard! Wish they did a Christmas cd, the Schola was beautiful!!!