Desperately need some help...

Area for current parents, past parents and future parents of Blues or Old Blues.

Moderator: Moderators

Tinkerbell
2nd Former

Desperately need some help...

Post by Tinkerbell »

Hi I'm praying someone out there is able to help me...... I have posted this on the Official CH Forum as well.... my son is due to start at CH in September and I don't know his house number! I've searched everywhere though all the paperwork but it just says that matron tells you..... he cant remember!!
I have emailed the house master and matron and I keep phoning to no avail. I'm getting desperate as there are only 17 sleeps left and I still have to place the order for the name tags and sew them all on! I can't seem to get hold of anyone. Does anyone have any idea how I can find this number out or any other contact I can try. He is going into Middleton B.

Also can anyone advise me what style of swimming trunks I need to get and where I can get the Doc Martin shoes please.

Thanks
Fairy
Deputy Grecian

Re: Desperately need some help...

Post by Fairy »

I can' help with the house number - we got it on the new entrants day from the house mistress. Try http://www.cloggs.co.uk/ for DM's and http://www.decathlon.co.uk for swimwear, they are where we got ours as we live in the backwaters of nowhere and delivery is very quick x
Tinkerbell
2nd Former

Post by Tinkerbell »

Hi Fairy that's fab, thank you. What style trunks did you get? I'm worried about getting him boxers if everyone else is wearing 'Daniel Craig' style speedo's! Do you know if there is a regulation style? And are they meant to have a separate swimming towel?

Once again thank you for your help
Tink
Atticus
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Atticus »

Hi Tink, we had a letter from the house parent with the house number on a week before new entrants day. Dd is going into Col A. On new entrants day, her nursemaid showed her dd's pidgeon hole for uniform, and she knew dd's house number too, but that may be a girl thing.

I'm sure that you must have had it in writing somewhere, I would have thought that it was too important to be given out verbally. Did your ds get a welcome book from Mid B with all the house rules, trade lists etc in, and could it be in there?
I hope you find out very soon.

Best wishes, atticus x
CHDad
Deputy Grecian

Post by CHDad »

We were definitely posted those details last year. Have you tried calling the main school switchboard to see whether anyone can find out the details for you? Telephoning the house or matron is probably not much good until just before start of term as they will not be there.
Tinkerbell
2nd Former

Post by Tinkerbell »

Hi peeps! Thank you all sooooo much for taking the time to post a reply..... I now have the number!!!! Phew..... I got a response to my e-mail from the house master. I now feel relief mixed with panic as the name tapes wont arrive till next week AFTER the bank holiday..... I will have to sew fast! And i did check in all the paper work but didn't find anything...... but I bet I probably find it written on something now!

Anyway guys thank you all for caring and trying to help me
Tink x
pinkhebe
Deputy Grecian

Post by pinkhebe »

And we got the trunk style swiming shorts - not the board style very long ones. Matron Lewis in the trift shop said that's what the boys wear. We also got the DM's from Cloggs. My Mum got the trunks from a school uniform shop.
Tinkerbell
2nd Former

Post by Tinkerbell »

I have just ordered the Dr Ms from Cloggs. They should be here tomorrow.... gosh nothing like leaving it all till the last minute!!! Why do I do it :? ...... I think I felt if I did it all early it would make it real so I avoided doing it at all.... and now I panic!

Anyway thanks for the info on the trunks and for the tip about the Cloggs web site Fairy.

Tink x

Ps Is a nursemaid the same as a matron?
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

Tinkerbell wrote:Hi peeps! Thank you all sooooo much for taking the time to post a reply..... I now have the number!!!! Phew..... I got a response to my e-mail from the house master. I now feel relief mixed with panic as the name tapes wont arrive till next week AFTER the bank holiday..... I will have to sew fast! And i did check in all the paper work but didn't find anything...... but I bet I probably find it written on something now!

Anyway guys thank you all for caring and trying to help me
Tink x
FWIW (and someone might have already written this), after the initial panic with woven name tapes my mother got a long white tape (bias binding comes to mind) and used a sewing machine to fix the woven tapes to the bias binding with long gaps in between. In many cases the bias binding could be machine sewn to the clothing with or without a long tape (tying sox together for example) and otherwise was bigger and therefore easier to hold and sew by hand.

HTH
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
CHDad
Deputy Grecian

Post by CHDad »

Tinkerbell

A Nursemaid is the 3rd former who will look after your child for the first few weeks of school. The Nursemaid literally walks them round to all the lessons etc until they know their way. I am hoping that my son (as a new 3rd former) will rise to this new challenge and extra responsibility well, however I am not convinced! :roll:
Tinkerbell
2nd Former

Post by Tinkerbell »

sejintenej wrote:FWIW (and someone might have already written this), after the initial panic with woven name tapes my mother got a long white tape (bias binding comes to mind) and used a sewing machine to fix the woven tapes to the bias binding with long gaps in between. In many cases the bias binding could be machine sewn to the clothing with or without a long tape (tying sox together for example) and otherwise was bigger and therefore easier to hold and sew by hand.

HTH
thank you.... this is a great idea..... is your mother available on loan? I shall be doing the same now especially brilliant idea for socks :P
Tink x
CHDad wrote:Tinkerbell

A Nursemaid is the 3rd former who will look after your child for the first few weeks of school. The Nursemaid literally walks them round to all the lessons etc until they know their way. I am hoping that my son (as a new 3rd former) will rise to this new challenge and extra responsibility well, however I am not convinced! :roll:
Thank you and I'm sure your son will rise to the ocassion.... at least thats what I like to think about mine..... Tx
CHDad
Deputy Grecian

Post by CHDad »

Thank you and I'm sure your son will rise to the ocassion.... at least thats what I like to think about mine..... Tx[/quote]

I expect so, It's hard to believe it was a year since he started at CH as a new 2nd former, it has gone soooo fast and in 2 weeks time he will be responsible for showing another new boy "the ropes". Mind you the children do seem to learn their way around very quickly so I expect his help will not be required for too long.
cupcakemom
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by cupcakemom »

Sorry - bit late getting to this thread but I can offer one piece of advice with regards labelling clothes .... beg, steal or borrow a sewing machine! I started with all good intentions in front of the tv one evening diligently hand sewing labels ... by the first advertisement break I'd only done a couple ... and rather badly too! So I threw in the towel and got my steam driven machine out of the loft ... and hey presto - the labels went on a treat. Not sure if I'll ever get them off again (only need to if youngest gets in to CH!) ... but they're there and they're there to stay!! I managed to label the majority of my DD's stuff (no other way to describe the debris she is taking) in a couple of days. Ok, so the room looked like a sweat shop for the duration - but it's done! Good luck and may the force be with all those tackling labels at the moment!
Never underestimate the power of a Mummy!
wickedwitch
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by wickedwitch »

i agree. Sewing machining is the way to go.
wide awake on the edge of the world
lonelymom
Button Grecian

Post by lonelymom »

wickedwitch wrote:i agree. Sewing machining is the way to go.
In my case:

Sewing machine + mother-in-law = the way to go

:D
lonelymom :rolleyes: