Tuck Boxes

Area for current parents, past parents and future parents of Blues or Old Blues.

Moderator: Moderators

pinkhebe
Deputy Grecian

Tuck Boxes

Post by pinkhebe »

I think I need some help with this!

How much (ie what are your kids taking) tuck will they need for 3 weeks?
How big are the tuck lockers, ie will they fit mutipacks of crisps?

I need a definitive list please :D

OMG 3 weeks and I don't feel at all ready (practically or emotionally)
lonelymom
Button Grecian

Re: Tuck Boxes

Post by lonelymom »

pinkhebe wrote:I think I need some help with this!

How much (ie what are your kids taking) tuck will they need for 3 weeks?
How big are the tuck lockers, ie will they fit mutipacks of crisps?

I need a definitive list please :D

OMG 3 weeks and I don't feel at all ready (practically or emotionally)
The tuck lockers are fairly big, I'd say about 12 inches high, 6 inches wide and 12 inches deep (at least!) so you can get loads in them! Mine take lots back, but anything that is uneaten during the first 3 weeks gets left in the locker for the following three weeks, and I just have to top it up. It's hard to say how much to take because it's down to individual appetites and whether your child will like the school food etc, and how much tuck you're happy with them eating, ie if you supply 30 bags of crisps and 20 bars of chocolate for 3 weeks don't complain if they need to see the dentist regularly. There's always bread and a toaster in house, so maybe buy some chocolate spread/jam/marmite? If you're looking for some ideas of what to supply there's another thread somewhere with lots of ideas. And don't forget there is the tuckshop, run by the lovely MrsC :D
lonelymom :rolleyes:
Mrs C.
Button Grecian

Post by Mrs C. »

not actually "run by" me - I just work there!

But yes, I`d agree with spready things - we do sell those but they`re quite expensive.
Just be aware that there may be pressure from older pupils to "share" tuck - it shouldn`t happen, but it does.
In many respects it`s probably better not to bring too much to start with otherwise your child may be known as the one with all the goodies!
Personally I always tried to encourage my 2 to eat the school food for which we were already paying and not extra stuff which we`d have to pay even more for!!
And even though we live on site, they rarely came home to raid the cupboards!
The best way to forget your troubles is to wear tight shoes.
Fairy
Deputy Grecian

Post by Fairy »

Thanks for the advice Mrs C! :D
pinkhebe
Deputy Grecian

Post by pinkhebe »

He doesn't eat a huge amount at home outside of mealtimes, so I shall be encouraging him to eat well then. Luckily he really enjoyed the food during the residential.

So some jam, some tracker style bars he likes, some humzinger fruit bars and some rice cakes. I doubt if anyone will 'mug' him for those!

Is chewing gum allowed?
Mrs C.
Button Grecian

Post by Mrs C. »

gum`s not really encoursged - we`re not allowed to sell it anyway - but you have no control over what the pupils bring from home or buy in town .
Ineedacoffee
3rd Former

Post by Ineedacoffee »

Hello all,

So does 2nd former require padlock? Have yet to receive list of these types of necessities. Also what about pens, pencils etc. Should we expect this type if list or have I Missed something? Thank you!
CHDad
Deputy Grecian

Post by CHDad »

In my sons house he needed a padlock for his tuckbox - I got him a simple combination type. He is not obsessed with tuck but generally likes a few bags of crisps, muesli bar type snacks, biscuits and in winter he had a few pot noodles and cup a soups. For the first 21/2 weeks I wouldn't send too much stuff just a few basic (cheap) items.

Not sure if we got a list for pencils pens etc - we just sent him with a normal pencil case with the usual stuff, I dont believe they need anything out of the ordinary in the 2nd form.
lonelymom
Button Grecian

Post by lonelymom »

Ineedacoffee, he'll need two padlocks - one for his tuck locker and one for his wardrobe. And yes, he'll need a pen (can be fountain, gel, biro etc, but has to be either black or blue ink), pencils, ruler, geometry set, all the usual bits and pieces, and you can get them all for half price at the moment in the supermarkets.
lonelymom :rolleyes:
Mrs C.
Button Grecian

Post by Mrs C. »

most essentials can be bought in tuckshop if necessary (including shower gels, shampoo , toothbrushes and toothpaste!!)
CHDad
Deputy Grecian

Post by CHDad »

I am not sure that my son knows what shower gel is!

I'm only joking, actually he has become quite clean at C.H ! He showers every morning and after rugby etc as well. However trying to get him to shower at home in the holidays is quite another matter.
Ineedacoffee
3rd Former

Post by Ineedacoffee »

Thank you CHDad, PINKHEBE, LONelymom and Mrs.C for all the info.
SO helpful as always. I am so thankful for this site. Doc Martins today, shoe cleaning supplies ...feeling a bit sorted other than Sports kit which arrived with sizes that I didn't order. I assume that I can swap for correct sizes on Sept. 7th...but feel badly at likely prospect of matrons having to sew on the labels...anyone else have a similar Kukri story? X