picnic

Area for current parents, past parents and future parents of Blues or Old Blues.

Moderator: Moderators

wickedwitch
GE (Great Erasmus)

picnic

Post by wickedwitch »

Hello there,

my father in law seems to be under the impression that there is some kind of family picnic at CH in June. Anyone know anything about this?
ta
nicky x
wide awake on the edge of the world
OKS
3rd Former

Re: picnic

Post by OKS »

Probably means Parents' Day.
YadaYada
Deputy Grecian

Post by YadaYada »

Parent's Day - 26th June this year.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

.... all Teddy-Bears welcome !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Mrs C.
Button Grecian

Post by Mrs C. »

yes Parents` Day - houses usually have a BBQ and many families bring picnics
The best way to forget your troubles is to wear tight shoes.
CHDad
Deputy Grecian

Post by CHDad »

Does the Band play on Parents Day?

Also:
Does anyone know the format for speech day?
I assume Parents can watch the parade? However I am not sure of the timings (think it may have bneen in the Head Masters letter which we have unfortunately misplaced).
dinahcat
Deputy Grecian

Post by dinahcat »

Yes you can watch the band parade. If you are there early enough you can watch the Lord Mayor et al going into chapel. If you arrive when they are in chapel you can hear the uplifting singing from outside and imagine how you will feel when it is your child's turn. Oh dear, have gone all cheesy. Perhaps it is because number one is about to leave ... now ,where is my hat?
ailurophile
Deputy Grecian

Post by ailurophile »

If you arrive when they are in chapel you can hear the uplifting singing from outside and imagine how you will feel when it is your child's turn. Oh dear, have gone all cheesy. Perhaps it is because number one is about to leave ... now ,where is my hat?
I hope you enjoy your day Dinahcat! It's not in the least cheesy to look forward to your chance to dress up and be proud of your child. We were very disappointed not to receive an invitation to the Speech Day service last year as parents of a departing GE. Pupils leaving at this stage receive the Charge and are presented with a bible at the service, but their parents are not invited to attend. I did ask, but was told that Speech Day is for Grecians' parents only. With increasing numbers of pupils opting to leave CH after their GCSEs (16 last year as I recall), maybe it is time for the school to reconsider this policy.
lonelymom
Button Grecian

Post by lonelymom »

dinahcat wrote:Yes you can watch the band parade. If you are there early enough you can watch the Lord Mayor et al going into chapel. If you arrive when they are in chapel you can hear the uplifting singing from outside and imagine how you will feel when it is your child's turn. Oh dear, have gone all cheesy. Perhaps it is because number one is about to leave ... now ,where is my hat?
Never mind your hat, where are your tissues???
lonelymom :rolleyes:
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

ailurophile wrote:
If you arrive when they are in chapel you can hear the uplifting singing from outside and imagine how you will feel when it is your child's turn. Oh dear, have gone all cheesy. Perhaps it is because number one is about to leave ... now ,where is my hat?
I hope you enjoy your day Dinahcat! It's not in the least cheesy to look forward to your chance to dress up and be proud of your child. We were very disappointed not to receive an invitation to the Speech Day service last year as parents of a departing GE. Pupils leaving at this stage receive the Charge and are presented with a bible at the service, but their parents are not invited to attend. I did ask, but was told that Speech Day is for Grecians' parents only. With increasing numbers of pupils opting to leave CH after their GCSEs (16 last year as I recall), maybe it is time for the school to reconsider this policy.
Do pupils in the GE who are leaving not receive their bible at the Leaving Service anymore then?
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
ailurophile
Deputy Grecian

Post by ailurophile »

Do pupils in the GE who are leaving not receive their bible at the Leaving Service anymore then?
You're probably right Matt, and I'm getting confused! DS came home with his bible on the last day, so it must have been given to him at the Leaving Service. Of course, the Leaving Service is for the whole school so parents don't get invited to that either... I'd still have liked the opportunity to attend Speech Day, if only to see what is involved (and to give my hat a rare outing!!). Parents of GE leavers shouldn't just be ignored.
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

ailurophile wrote:
HANG ON !! ---- What is meant by "Grecians' Parents only"
I thought ALL Parents were welcome on Speech Day.
Mine were there in 1945 --- and I was only a Dep.
Have CH decided to go "Up Market " ? do they now "Grade Parents" according to their child's achievements ? :(
ailurophile
Deputy Grecian

Post by ailurophile »

HANG ON !! ---- What is meant by "Grecians' Parents only"
I thought ALL Parents were welcome on Speech Day.
Mine were there in 1945 --- and I was only a Dep.
Have CH decided to go "Up Market " ? do they now "Grade Parents" according to their child's achievements ?
I believe it's just a space issue Neill, and that there is only room in the chapel to invite the parents of leavers. It's just that CH appear to define all leavers as Grecians, and don't acknowledge those who depart in the GE.
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Interesting this thing about hats. Many of us Hertford OBs are hat wearers (me included).

Barry and I went to a christening on Sunday in a little village in Surrey and as it was a very windy day I thought I would leave the hat at home. Whether that was what everyone else had thought as well I don't know but there was not a single hat in the church. A few floral headbands but no hats.

Plenty of (too) short dresses, bad artificial tans and goosebumps.

The rector was fantastic. He had clearly had a life before the church and we were trying to guess what he had done. I thought either an actor or in the forces, but he came and sat with us at the party and it turned out he had been a barrister (much the same as an actor I suppose).
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
dinahcat
Deputy Grecian

Post by dinahcat »

lonelymom maybe the tissues are a good idea as my joy will be unbounded that one set of fees will be no more...perhaps two slices of toast with the beans by way of a celebration?