sock ties and other miscellaneous queries

Area for current parents, past parents and future parents of Blues or Old Blues.

Moderator: Moderators

pinkhebe
Deputy Grecian

Re: sock ties and other miscellaneous queries

Post by pinkhebe »

I farmed all the socks and pants off to my Mum :D

It says navy swimming trunks, can they be a lighter blue?

http://www.sportsdirect.com/slazenger-s ... e=35900019 these are the ones i'm thinking of.
cupcakemom
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by cupcakemom »

I'm drowning in name tapes - help! Just one (probably very stupid question) - do home socks need sock ties too?! I'm pretty sure the answer will be "yes" - but, quite frankly, the less labelling lark I have to do the better!! Also, how many pairs of home socks does a girl need?! My dd picked up 15 pairs in Primark!!
Never underestimate the power of a Mummy!
Fairy
Deputy Grecian

Post by Fairy »

I don't know the definitive answer but have labelled absolutely everything as the HM advised this was best. It is a pain but the sense of satisfaction when it is all done is worth it! :)
cupcakemom
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by cupcakemom »

It's the SOCK TIE issue on which I need clarification! My dd's opted for "trainer socks" - the short ankle style - not sure she's going to be too impressed if every pair is sporting sock ties ... but if that's what's needed ...!
Never underestimate the power of a Mummy!
Antinous1
3rd Former

Post by Antinous1 »

The sock ties are to keep them together in the laundry process and save time for those sorting the laundry, so the answer is yes I guess, unless she takes lots of pairs and saves them up to wash herself at home on leave weekends and holidays. I definitely advocate folding the nametape in half and stitching it and the tie to the sock in one go - when I do that I make sure that one half of the name tape is on top on one sock and the other half on the other, so that when they are being sorted both halves of the tape are visible.
anniexf
Button Grecian

Post by anniexf »

Antinous1 wrote: unless she takes lots of pairs and saves them up to wash herself at home on leave weekends and holidays.
You cannot be serious!!!
Antinous1
3rd Former

Post by Antinous1 »

anniexf wrote:
Antinous1 wrote: unless she takes lots of pairs and saves them up to wash herself at home on leave weekends and holidays.
You cannot be serious!!!
Well, I have heard of kids saving up fancier items of clothing to take home for washing rather than risk them going through the laundry, so I thought she might be desperate enough to avoid sock ties (I can't quite see how they'd fit comfortably in those ultra low trainer socks myself) to try it! If any of my kids wanted to do that they'd definitely be doing the washing themselves! :wink:
pinkhebe
Deputy Grecian

Post by pinkhebe »

so how many socks do they take? My son now has 4 pairs of football socks and 5 pairs of white sports socks. How many normal pairs of socks will he need? :?
pinkhebe
Deputy Grecian

Post by pinkhebe »

And another question, what happens to their suitcases, do we bring them back home with us or is there storage at CH?
CHDad
Deputy Grecian

Post by CHDad »

We brought them back otherwise DS wardrobe would have been full. However we now leave a soft case at school so (hopefully) DS can pack up some stuff for leave weekends etc. Not sure whether there is a suitcase storage space in House, DS has never mentioned one, I will check.
lonelymom
Button Grecian

Post by lonelymom »

We leave them there, put the smaller one inside the bigger one and it just stands at the end of her bed.
lonelymom :rolleyes:
Volupturaptor
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Volupturaptor »

Ooh, interesting. I just assumed we'd leave them there. So does that mean we have to get them all unpacked, and are expected to do/oversee all the packing for holidays/weekends? We don't actually own any suitcases, and having looked at the prices of them we won't be getting any either, was going to get some cheap holdalls, but I don't imagine they'll be able to stand neatly anywhere... :?
pinkhebe
Deputy Grecian

Post by pinkhebe »

if you're near a primark, I remember their suitcases are quite reasonable (especially as there won't be any baggage handlers 'handling' them)
ailurophile
Deputy Grecian

Post by ailurophile »

Volupturaptor wrote:

We don't actually own any suitcases, and having looked at the prices of them we won't be getting any either, was going to get some cheap holdalls, but I don't imagine they'll be able to stand neatly anywhere...
We've always used cheap holdalls; you can bung them on top of the wardrobes.
lonelymom
Button Grecian

Post by lonelymom »

No, you don't have to unpack their things for them, though you can if you want to help them. Or maybe just do it the first couple of times, it's up to you. As for suitcases, look at your local bootfairs! There's always lots of them there, for just a few pounds, cheaper than cheap holdalls and they'll last much longer!
lonelymom :rolleyes: