ASSOCIATED COSTS

Area for current parents, past parents and future parents of Blues or Old Blues.

Moderator: Moderators

J.R.
Forum Moderator

Re: ASSOCIATED COSTS

Post by J.R. »

englishangel wrote:You may have noticed I have not commented much on here recently and it because of the some of these antediluvian comments which are not good for my blood pressure.

I feel I must apologise for the comments of my generation above.

Lets all go back to the original CH in the sixteenth century where they only took orphans and the children were prepared for a life in service and were fed bread and dripping (if they were lucky).

Guys, this is the 21st century.

Please no more "not in my time"

Please don't feel you need to apologise on my account, Mary !! - I stand by my views. We are now living in a 'cotton-wool' society as far as our children/grand-children are concerned. Recently, there was a very interesting programme on the massive increase in child allergies. OK - I admit food additives, etc, have a lot to do with it, bit one eminent Doctor opined that if we actually allowed our children to go out, get filthy, eat a bit of dirt, get all the cuts, bruises and stings that kids used too, then allergies, (if in fact, that is what they are), then the general health of children would improve.

I would also advocate no more than one hour in twenty-four on a computer for leisure purposes. All children to read at least one book a month....

I could go on and on, and probably will do so.

(Now, where is that public petition on the death sentence ??)
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
DavidRawlins
Button Grecian

Post by DavidRawlins »

[quote="jtaylor"]If Leave Weekends reverted to Leave Days (why did they change?) then the necessity to go home would be removed - and thus halve the travel costs for those driving to pick their child up? Every three weeks there's no need for a full weekend away?

I remember one year (possibly 1949), for some reason, all visiting was stopped for the whole of the Lent term. This had the advantage that after the first two weeks there were virtually no coughs or colds in the school -the advantage of a closed community. None of us suffered, indeed our health and general wellbeing was improved.
Col A 1946-1953
anniexf
Button Grecian

Post by anniexf »

DavidRawlins wrote: I remember one year (possibly 1949), for some reason, all visiting was stopped for the whole of the Lent term. This had the advantage that after the first two weeks there were virtually no coughs or colds in the school -the advantage of a closed community. None of us suffered, indeed our health and general wellbeing was improved.
Could this have been the winter of 1947, when it snowed from January 22 - to March 17 daily? My parents and I lived in 2 attic rooms with a kitchenette, no hot water and a coal fire, and there was still rationing - but we all, I think, stayed healthy!
DavidRawlins
Button Grecian

Post by DavidRawlins »

No, it was certainly after 1947. There may have been virtually no visits that year as well.
Col A 1946-1953
Mrs C.
Button Grecian

Post by Mrs C. »

ailurophile wrote:
Did they not change because it is now considered 'wrong' to have a child away from home for a half term...
As I pointed out earlier on this thread, things might have to change back again for the pupils now being recruited to CH from Hong Kong; presumably they will simply not be able to get home for leave weekends, however 'wrong' this might be!
I think I`m right in saying that all overseas pupils have to have relations/guardians in this country to whom they can go during the holidays/leave weekends
The best way to forget your troubles is to wear tight shoes.