Application advice / mentor please!

Area for current parents, past parents and future parents of Blues or Old Blues.

Moderator: Moderators

PapaElsie
2nd Former

Application advice / mentor please!

Post by PapaElsie »

Hi. I am applying to CH for my daughter. Have the forms here, but am wondering if we should try for a governors presentation? What are the criteria, as it were? To be honest, any advice at all about how to make a successful application (!) would be most welcome. Also, any other single parents out there who has / had a child at the school? Any particular advice from you?...

Thanks x
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Re: Application advice / mentor please!

Post by englishangel »

Hello, welcome to the Forum. Quite a bit of stuff here viewtopic.php?f=40&t=3698 about the Governors presentation and stuff. Don't know about the single parent thing but I would guess some on here are single parents.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
PapaElsie
2nd Former

Post by PapaElsie »

Thanks EA. I'll have a wander round the forum and see what I can pick up. x
YadaYada
Deputy Grecian

Post by YadaYada »

You've got nothing to lose by going for a presentation as it doesn't stop you going for the competitive entry as well.

I'm not sure what particular advice you want from a single parent. Just fill all the forms in honestly and GO FOR IT!!!
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Just for the record.

I will be at CH, with most of the family, (plus a certain Grand-Daughter), on October 2nd !!
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
kittykat
3rd Former

Post by kittykat »

PapaElsie wrote:Hi. I am applying to CH for my daughter. Have the forms here, but am wondering if we should try for a governors presentation? What are the criteria, as it were? To be honest, any advice at all about how to make a successful application (!) would be most welcome. Also, any other single parents out there who has / had a child at the school? Any particular advice from you?...

Thanks x
Hi PapaElsie, very good to meet another prospective parent just about to start the whole process! I too am a lone parent and I'm applying for my son for 2012 entry (he's currently in Year 5). This forum has been very helpful in clarifying the admissions process to me, hopefully you'll find it useful too. Look forward to seeing you, and possibly more prospective 2012 parents as we all begin to submit our forms, on these boards over the process! :D
PapaElsie
2nd Former

Post by PapaElsie »

Hi KK. Hello to you too. Yes, a lot to read here isn't there? Have you found anything that I might find particularly relevant? We were really impressed when we visited CH some months back. Have ben careful not to apply any pressure - for her it is quite fun, and she is enjoying all the extra attention to homework / mock papers and so on. Now, we are looking for a tutor for some extra curric sessions. Have you gone this route? Currently seeking a recommendation in the Brighton area.

We are applying for the same year - good luck x
kittykat
3rd Former

Post by kittykat »

The very best of luck to you too PapaElsie! Look forward to following your progress and having another parent going through the ordeal too. Have you submitted your forms to CH yet? I have ours filled in and am waiting for a copy of my son's birth certificate in the post and I'll be posting it off.

Really helpful information about the process in the thread that englishangel suggested above. The other threads are all useful for getting an idea of CH and the worries of current parents and other parents who have been through the entry process.

I'm finding myself in quite a dilemma about tutoring/practice papers to be honest. Part of me thinks that thankfully my son goes to a very good state school, where quite a high percentage of children regularly get Level 5s in Year 6 so if it's meant to happen, it will happen. However, of course, I realise that entry is competitive so I can see that tutoring would be beneficial. By the looks of things it will be me, my son and some practice papers at the kitchen table! :oops:
PapaElsie
2nd Former

Post by PapaElsie »

I'll check the links tomorrow - thanks. Just had a chat with little one (LO) and her mum about the tutoring - we are keeping it all very light and fun - something to do on a Saturday morning with dad, no pressure. LO also in good local C of E village primary, so happy with her Ed, but if it's fun - no harm in a little extra I think! Personally, I find that I'm not the best tutor there is! Love doing stuff like that with her but get easily frustrated / impatient. I think this could have limited success!! Yes, be good to keep in touch. We were told by CH this week to send everything in after Xmas, once they had sorted out 2011 take in. Same?
Mrs C.
Button Grecian

Post by Mrs C. »

I think you can download past entrance exam papers to go through, then you`d know where to concentrate your efforts........ other than that. CAT tests are worth a look
The best way to forget your troubles is to wear tight shoes.
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

If the schools are good, and regularly have children taking additional entrance papers, they may have a list of local tutors.

I had extra tutoring from my own teacher (back when dinosaurs walked the earth), and I know all the teachers in my family do extra tutoring on the side.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
kittykat
3rd Former

Post by kittykat »

Regarding CAT tests: My son does indeed do these at school already (I don't know if this is usual or just our school?) so I know what scores he has but I have absolutely no knowledge whatsoever about what the results really mean! I was told in passing by a teacher that they were 'broadly equivalent to IQ'. I know that they have separate results for verbal, nonverbal and quantitive but not sure what scores CH is looking for? Or, as entry to CH has many facets (i.e. academic, home life, need for boarding etc), would it be very difficult to quantify entry in that way?

I would very much agree that if the child enjoys it then there's no harm in a little extra. I'll be printing off the papers from the CH website and giving them a go at home and see how we get on (even though I'm not blessed with great tuition skills, it must be said). At the moment, much as I'd like, private tutoring isn't an option for us at all. I'll have a word with school and see what they suggest.

Just rang CH today and they told me to send the forms in now.
PapaElsie
2nd Former

Post by PapaElsie »

Hmmm, curious.

Have just emailed CH to clear up application timing. Never hear of CAT - will investigate this eve!

Have got the entrance papers already - loads of fun going through those!

Have had a recommendation for a local tutor, but will check with the school as well.
wickedwitch
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by wickedwitch »

As far as i know, CAT Level 4 is average at year 6 and Level 5 is the norm for CH entry.
wide awake on the edge of the world
kittykat
3rd Former

Post by kittykat »

After some Googling, here is some info on the CAT test that I was referring to: http://www.gl-assessment.co.uk/educatio ... .asp#intro

My son took them at the end of Year 4 and I was given a separate score for non-verbal reasoning, verbal reasoning and quantitative. The scores are up to a maximum of 140 with an 'average' score of 100 (bit like an IQ test!). From the scores it is possible to work out what a child's possible predicted SATs scores would be in Year 6.

Some schools might use them for all children. Some schools just for children who may have additional needs with the SENCo. Some schools may not use the tests at all! But it could be worth enquiring at your child's school to see if your child has taken them - as I understand that they are more for teachers and their target setting/curriculum planning so they may not have told parents but I am sure they would be able to if you ask.

I can't see a way to access these specific tests as a parent and not a school. Therefore, I am not sure if these are tests that Mrs C was referring to; there may be other papers that are also called CAT tests? I hope I haven't confused the issue for anyone! :oops: