Anxious parents

Area for current parents, past parents and future parents of Blues or Old Blues.

Moderator: Moderators

CHDad
Deputy Grecian

Re: Anxious parents

Post by CHDad »

I agree that it is very difficult for people to understand why we make this decision unless they visit the school. I think that a lot of people see the picture of my son in his housey, I have also shown them videos of band parade, and think that we have sent our shildren to some sort of stuffy, outdated militaristic institution. The fact is that it is just a lovely bit of tradition (which incidentally the pupils appear to enjoy) and behind this is a modern, caring school. Boarding is not for every child, however for my son it seems to be working well, he actually seems to be thoroughly enjoying school life rather than just enduring it.
YadaYada
Deputy Grecian

Post by YadaYada »

My son (3rd form) is thriving. He truly loves each day.

It doesn't mean he hates coming home nor does it mean the "I don't want to go back" at the end of each holidays has stopped.The school has, so far, been everything he, and I, wanted it to be for him.

Not necessarily for everyone though I guess
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

I remember back in the day (1970) a 'friend' of my parents asked them how they got on with all the other 'posh' parents on Speech Day at Hertford. My Mum replied that she was quite surprised because none of them were wearing hats.

For our younger readers, 'ladies' did wear hats at Speech Day (maybe still do) but this woman was the most awful snob.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

And some still do (wear hats on Speech Day). Look at the pictures on the School website, from Speech Day 2010. It's one of the things that's putting me off taking a place publicly as a Donation Governor, on ceremonial occasions.
Kerren Simmonds
5's and 2's Hertford, 1957-1966
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Post by Angela Woodford »

kerrensimmonds wrote:And some still do (wear hats on Speech Day). It's one of the things that's putting me off taking a place publicly as a Donation Governor, on ceremonial occasions.
I think you'd look lovely with a fascinator or some variety of pretty or elegant hair ornament, Kerren!
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
Jo
Button Grecian

Post by Jo »

Angela Woodford wrote:
kerrensimmonds wrote:And some still do (wear hats on Speech Day). It's one of the things that's putting me off taking a place publicly as a Donation Governor, on ceremonial occasions.
I think you'd look lovely with a fascinator or some variety of pretty or elegant hair ornament, Kerren!
You would indeed, Kerren. I recently invested in a red fascinator simply as a new Red Hatters' member, but I'm rather taken with it and am longing for an occasion to wear it other than ironically :lol:
Jo
5.7, 1967-75
ReallyMissingHer
UF (Upper Fourth)

Post by ReallyMissingHer »

My daughter has had difficulties settling in at CH/coping with boarding etc etc BUT I feel these are all issues we would have had regardless it's just brought them to the forefront at a younger age so being positive they've been dealt with at a younger age.

Sometimes I still panick that we did the wrong thing but I think I do know it was right for her even if my nerves have been in tatters on several occasions.

I guess we are one of the "problem" families that CH exists to help, she will get social mobility and is surrounded by positive role models rather than 2 divorced and depressed parents!

Best of all she is thrilled with her new house mistress (despite dreading her!) all I can say is that Mrs Stamp rocks as a housemistress (thank God)
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

RMH, I am so pleased your DD has a lovely housemistress, and that you understand separation anxiety can strike at any age. My cousin went to Norland (nanny training college - http://www.norland.co.uk/ ) at the age of 16 (in 1967) and within two weeks her father had to fetch her home she was so homesick. Two years later she moved to London to work in a bank and never looked back.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

ReallyMissingHer wrote:My daughter has had difficulties settling in at CH/coping with boarding etc etc BUT I feel these are all issues we would have had regardless it's just brought them to the forefront at a younger age so being positive they've been dealt with at a younger age.

Sometimes I still panick that we did the wrong thing but I think I do know it was right for her even if my nerves have been in tatters on several occasions.

I guess we are one of the "problem" families that CH exists to help, she will get social mobility and is surrounded by positive role models rather than 2 divorced and depressed parents!

Best of all she is thrilled with her new house mistress (despite dreading her!) all I can say is that Mrs Stamp rocks as a housemistress (thank God)
Mrs Stamp was housemistress of Barnes B when I was at CH and she was very popular then - nice to see she's back as a housemistress!
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
SAS
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by SAS »

I got a lot of people saying things like, "oh, I could never do that and send xxx away". I just had to grit my teeth. The reason we send them is because it is what is best for them. The reason people say things like "I could never do that" is because they are thinking of themselves and not the child.

Ignore them if you can and try not to justify yourself as you shouldn't have to. I took a friend with me to see CH and once she had been there she totally understood that it was the right place for my son. If you can take people down, then do.
I totally agree with you Yadadyada - mind you, I think you know that! The chance to apply for CH was completely driven by our daughter, who fell in love with the school when we went to visit for an open day for her older brother. It was not the right school for him but I am absolutely certain that it is right for her.
We moved in the July just before she started - from Kent to Lincolnshire - so it gave her the security of knowing where she would be going to school in September. I am deeply jealous of the opportunity that she has and I know that she is making the most of it. However, I still have to explain to people why "she does not live with us" (her description!) as very few people in Lincs have heard of CH! When I explain about the means-testing they tend to understand rather better though!