Day Pupils - announcement pending

Area for current parents, past parents and future parents of Blues or Old Blues.

Moderator: Moderators

dinahcat
Deputy Grecian

Re: Day Pupils - announcement pending

Post by dinahcat »

You would have to be crazy to be the one day pupil per joint house as suggested on a previous post. What would you be thinking of to put a child in this position?I understand that the Foundation must be in dire straights to have even considered this let alone act on it, so it must be taken as read that it is entirely necessary but it seems really crackers from every practical point of view.
ailurophile
Deputy Grecian

Post by ailurophile »

LGJ wrote
I have heard there will be 1 full fee payer per year per house, and 1 day pupil per joint house.
If they need the money they need it but that is 100 pupils from needy backgrounds who won't have a place. Perhaps if we had all been willing to give that little bit more, rather than try to pay as little as possible the school might be in a different place.
??? Remember that we are all paying as much as the Foundation assesses we can afford - and for many families that is already a struggle!
anniexf
Button Grecian

Post by anniexf »

ailurophile wrote:LGJ wrote
I have heard there will be 1 full fee payer per year per house, and 1 day pupil per joint house.
If they need the money they need it but that is 100 pupils from needy backgrounds who won't have a place. Perhaps if we had all been willing to give that little bit more, rather than try to pay as little as possible the school might be in a different place.
??? Remember that we are all paying as much as the Foundation assesses we can afford - and for many families that is already a struggle!
Hear, hear, ailurophile. I'm afraid I found LGJ's comment just a tad sanctimonious. If every pupil's parents paid full fees then the school would have over £20 million a year - but that's not what CH is meant to be about ... or was, perhaps I should say?
dinahcat
Deputy Grecian

Post by dinahcat »

I thought what it was meant to be about was eduacting children who were completely destitute.
anniexf
Button Grecian

Post by anniexf »

dinahcat wrote:I thought what it was meant to be about was eduacting children who were completely destitute.
Once, yes; but how many families since Beveridge have been completely destitute?
Perhaps CH should stop asking OBs to help fund a school that has now crossed the Rubicon.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

LJG wrote: Perhaps if we had all been willing to give that little bit more, rather than try to pay as little as possible the school might be in a different place.
Enough people have answered this suggestion; LJG has already said that she doesn't know if she can continue to pay CH bills.

http://chforum.info/php/viewtopic.php?f ... 926#p78926
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

anniexf wrote:
dinahcat wrote:I thought what it was meant to be about was eduacting children who were completely destitute.
Once, yes; but how many families since Beveridge have been completely destitute?

Perhaps CH should stop asking OBs to help fund a school that has now crossed the Rubicon.

Depends on how you define 'destitute'

This isn't the land of milk and honey, contrary to what the Government might tell you, and their are many close-knit families on, or very near the 'bread-line'.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
anniexf
Button Grecian

Post by anniexf »

J.R. wrote:
Depends on how you define 'destitute'

This isn't the land of milk and honey, contrary to what the Government might tell you, and their are many close-knit families on, or very near the 'bread-line'.

Dinahcat mentioned "completely destitute" as being the criterion for education at CH in the past. I don't believe that condition can apply to any family in the UK now. Extreme poverty, yes, I agree there; but with the availability of Housing Benefit, plus Income Support (ok, that's pitiful, but as the man said, "None shall starve") no family is out on the street because there is no other choice.
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

Having heard the Clerk, explain all this (I thought , very well -- but others may differ ) at the 60+ I have put his explanation on that Thread, have a look.
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

NEILL THE NOTORIOUS wrote:Having heard the Clerk, explain all this (I thought , very well -- but others may differ ) at the 60+ I have put his explanation on that Thread, have a look.
Sorry Neill, I can't find it there.
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
Sussex
2nd Former

Post by Sussex »

Sorry, I can't find it either, could you possibly post a link please ?
wurzel
Deputy Grecian

Post by wurzel »

SAS wrote:It can't be from this Sept, surely? Doesn't make sense. Unless they are hoping to mop up children who have missed out on their choice of state / independent locally. Brighton will probably be a rich picking ground as they use lotteries, I think, for allocating state places, and they could come by train, I suppose.
Unlikely as it is a 1 hour train journey with a change - to be in school by 8am would mean leaving Brighton on 6:51 train even if CH provided a minibus from the station (it gets in at 7:50) evening is worse unless you wait for the 7:47 train the earlier ones are 1 1/2 hours, 7:47 gets you to Brighton at 8:47. when would you do prep.

Day pupils will have to closer than Brighton
SAS
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by SAS »

Day pupils will have to be closer than Brighton
Good point. Didn't know about train times. Won't they do prep in school with the boarders? They will be knackered.
wurzel
Deputy Grecian

Post by wurzel »

my point on the other thread exactly it says in school by 8am and leave at 9:30 - when i was a 2nd former lights out was 9:15 !!! How can an 11 year old stay up until well gone 10pm every night, get up before 7am and still concentrate. The timetable is way more demanding than state school
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

God, and the Governors, move in mysterious ways, their wonders to perform ! :?