GCSE options

Area for current parents, past parents and future parents of Blues or Old Blues.

Moderator: Moderators

lonelymom
Button Grecian

Re: GCSE options

Post by lonelymom »

Why can't she do that combination? If it's not unusual aren't there others wanting to do them?
lonelymom :rolleyes:
dinahcat
Deputy Grecian

Post by dinahcat »

I am so fed up words fail me. My daughter wants to do Latin, German and History A2 and Music AS. As I understand it there is a huge number of pupils who wish to study all the sciences and Maths which makes it difficult to time table other subjects which are in the minority.My daughter is devastated and has cried all last evening.Becaause she is predicted to get 12A*s ( she might get close!) the view seems to be as she's good at everything she can choose something else. Actually, she's not good at everything by any means but she works really hard and feels really let down.I don't know why I am saying all this on here really. Just wanted to moan and get some sympathy.
fra828
Grecian

Post by fra828 »

Even though I am a Hertford old blue from 40 years ago, I do sympathise with you. Languages were my favourite subjects at CH-but I was in the 'B' form and disappointed I couldn't do Latin. The combination of subjects your daughter wants to do, looks very 'compatible'. I hope she will be allowed to do them after all. :)
blondie95
Button Grecian

Post by blondie95 »

I know when i joined as a new dep, a few deps had to re-think their a level options due to timetabling issues, for most it was case of looking at the 4 streams of subjects and swapping them around in order to meet timetabling issues! I know those who were wanting to do match/sciences and also a humanities subject had really problems!
Amy Leadbeater
BaB 2000-01, Gre W01-02

Check out my blog http://leadpencils.blogspot.com/
lonelymom
Button Grecian

Post by lonelymom »

dinahcat wrote: Just wanted to moan and get some sympathy.
Feel free to moan whenever you like. And you and your daughter definitely have my sympathy. The A level subjects she has chosen sound like a good combination to me, is there a chance she will get to do them or has she had a definite 'NO'?
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

One on our grand-daughters is a brillint musician and a brilliant artist. (No - I'm not blowing her trumpet because of relationships !)

Having set her options for GCSE, she has ben told that it's either music or art - NOT BOTH !

I ASK YOU !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
blondie95
Button Grecian

Post by blondie95 »

J.R. wrote:One on our grand-daughters is a brillint musician and a brilliant artist. (No - I'm not blowing her trumpet because of relationships !)

Having set her options for GCSE, she has ben told that it's either music or art - NOT BOTH !

I ASK YOU !
that is i remember quite common due to the way they split GCSE subjects for choosing and the timetabling, most school have a 4 groups such as humanties (history/geography), language (to do an extra to compulsary french) then art/music which would consist of music, art and drama and therefore only could do one! It doesnt seem fair especially if someone is ery talented in that area, but it seems to be they way they schools do it in order to timetable and i think poissibly to ensure pupils gcse's are all encompassing
Amy Leadbeater
BaB 2000-01, Gre W01-02

Check out my blog http://leadpencils.blogspot.com/
lonelymom
Button Grecian

Post by lonelymom »

Well, my daughter got all her first choices for her gcse options, so we're happy. I was just wondering how everybody else got on? Have we all got happy kids, or were there some disappointments? :roll:
Barnes Mum
Deputy Grecian

Post by Barnes Mum »

My daughter didn't get all her choices. :( She didn't get Classics so is doing Drama instead, one of her back up choices. She's not 100% sure of the reason but thinks that not enough children wanted to do Classics to make up a class. She seems to have got over her initial disappointment and is now happy with Drama. :D
Ajarn Philip
Button Grecian

Post by Ajarn Philip »

Barnes Mum wrote:My daughter didn't get all her choices. :( She didn't get Classics so is doing Drama instead, one of her back up choices. She seems to have got over her initial disappointment and is now happy with Drama. :D
She could do a lot worse! It's a wonderful area to explore, and I do hope she benefits from it. Please tell her from me to go for it wholeheartedly.
Barnes Mum
Deputy Grecian

Post by Barnes Mum »

Ajarn Philipu wrote: She could do a lot worse! It's a wonderful area to explore, and I do hope she benefits from it. Please tell her from me to go for it wholeheartedly.
Thank you. :) I'm sure she will. She enjoys drama and is involved in this year's junior play 'Pan.' So I'm confident she'll enjoy it.
huggermugger
Deputy Grecian

Post by huggermugger »

My DS got all his choices, which we are obviously pleased about. I don't envy the staff having to sort out the timetabling - must be like doing the worst Suduko puzzle ever....
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

This reminds me of the Sister on the ward I worked on after becoming a midwife.

She HATED doing the staff rota and would take hours triyng to work it out. So once I qualified, with great relief she would give it to me telling me it would be 'good practise'.

It didn't worry me at all (I have that sort of mind) so I would take about three minutes working out the rota and 15 minutes reading a magazine, and she thought I was amazing.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
lonelymom
Button Grecian

Post by lonelymom »

I'm glad your DS got his first choices too, huggermugger. I know there were some disappointments, which is such a shame :(
ailurophile
Deputy Grecian

Post by ailurophile »

I've just heard from my DS (after some chasing! I gather he can't check or send e-mail except on a Monday as the computer room is locked!) that he hasn't got both his first choice options. I haven't managed to speak to him yet to see how he feels about this, but I'm very disappointed by the news myself. I appreciate that the timetabling must be a nightmare, but he wanted to study two modern languages which apparently isn't going to be possible, and I would have imagined that would be a fairly popular combination of subjects?