Any other CH parents here?

Area for current parents, past parents and future parents of Blues or Old Blues.

Moderator: Moderators

Ajarn Philip
Button Grecian

Post by Ajarn Philip »

huggermugger, you haven't really had time to get to know the people who post on the forum and their various styles. As far as such matters of boot polish on the wotsits are concerned, I'm sure it's ancient history now.

More generally, but perhaps more seriously (I'm sure you've had a look at the bullying thread[s] by now), there was a problem with bullying of all kinds at CH (as at all other schools) over the years, and this forum has been quite therapeutic to them (us), much in the same way as it has been to you from a completely different point of view, but those (probably males...) who were subjected to the more serious forms of physical bullying tend to laugh it off. All part of the therapy... :?:

It's all part of the corporal punishment thing - "Pah, a good thrashing never did me any harm" said the judge who was later nabbed frequenting Madame Syn's suburban establishment...

Personally, the main regrets/guilt feelings I have regarding my own children are not sending them to CH.
huggermugger
Deputy Grecian

Post by huggermugger »

huggermugger wrote:I find it difficult to go into his room, let alone sleep in his bed... but he'll be back in both at the weekend - yippee! :supz:
Having re-read the above, I'd like to make it clear that I can't go in his bedroom because it makes me sad, not because it smells! And I do change his bed regularly. And he is only 11 & doesn't really smell at all - I'm just aware that he doesn't particularly like washing!

(Feeling very defensive/protective now - can you tell? :oops: )
Foureyes
Grecian

SCRUBBING

Post by Foureyes »

The application of scrubbing brushes to encourage personal hygiene sounds extreme but, while not condoning it, I can offer an explanation. Living in a tightly-knit community such as a school dormitory, an Army barrackroom or a ship's messdeck, it is absolutely vital that every last person keep themselves and their clothing clean, and the sad fact of the matter is that there is a tiny minority who do not. Of those, some will respond to verbal or minor physical pressure, but the worst offenders simply do not. And, believe me, living with them can be extremely unpleasant and the individuals can he very, very obtuse
In these, happily rare, circumstances the group - who cannot avoid having to live with this person - is left with little choice but to take action which is so firm that the offender cannot avoid being aware of the offence being caused and which will encourage him/her to mend their ways, if for no other reason than to avoid a repetition of the punishment.

Unfortunately, gifts of scented soap, or pointed remarks from girls has little effect - I would say that it is like water off a duck's back except that such people are totally unacquainted with water. I have known of two cases of "scrubbing" (both in the Army, not at CH) and they were only taken in desperation after every other form of suggestion and pressure had failed. The sad fact is that there are people who can be unbelievably dirty and smelly - ask Social Services or the police about some of the houses they have to visit. If they are living on their own that's one thing, but if they have to live among others then that is quite a different situation.

Basically, scrubbing should never need to happen because monitors, prefects, matrons and/or housemasters/mistresses should spot such problems early and take preventative action of their own to cure the indivdual before the situation gets out-of-hand.
:shock:
Ajarn Philip
Button Grecian

Post by Ajarn Philip »

And for those Mums worried about references to what are, comparatively, ancient times, have a look at this link from another thread, if you haven't seen it already.

How boarding can be better than family

(Another reason for starting a separate 'section' within this forum for parents and potential parents, perhaps?)
Ajarn Philip
Button Grecian

Post by Ajarn Philip »

For some reason I seem to have lost the link 'boarding is better than family'. Either I'm getting more senile than I thought, or someone can help me out... please?
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

Ajarn Philip wrote:For some reason I seem to have lost the link 'boarding is better than family'. Either I'm getting more senile than I thought, or someone can help me out... please?

http://women.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life ... 446418.ece
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
Ajarn Philip
Button Grecian

Post by Ajarn Philip »

Ta!
cj
Button Grecian

Post by cj »

http://women.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life ... 446418.ece

Glad to see that ben ashton reads the women's section of the Times online. Why is this in the women's section and not the general interest? Oh, that's right, because only women take care of the children and only women are capable of making decisions about education and welfare. Harrumph.
Catherine Standing (Cooper) Image
Canteen Cath 1.12 (1983-85) & Col A 20 (1985-90)

Any idiot can deal with a crisis. It takes a genius to cope with everyday life.
gemmygemmerson
Deputy Grecian

Post by gemmygemmerson »

Hi!

I'm Gemma and I'm at CH at the moment ( in Col B!). I know lot's of people already have but I want to say hi and to welcome you to the forum personally!.
I'm sure that your children are having a fabulous time yet are really tired aswell. I'm knackered and to be honest I'm sure they are equally if note more because it's a huge jump from primary school to boarding.
I'm still getting to know the school myself but as another person who is actualy 'there' I hope I can help you out.

xxxxxxx Feel free to P.M me though my access is limited.
Deputy Grecian 07-09 Col B 31
huggermugger
Deputy Grecian

Post by huggermugger »

Hello Gemma! Bless you, it's a lovely offer. For me, things are fine at the moment, but one of us might need you in the future!

Phil & David, thanks for your reassurances. To be honest, as new parents we probably don't need to be hearing some of this right now! But I will accept that these things are largely in the past. Long may they stay there.
ben ashton
Grecian

Post by ben ashton »

cj wrote:http://women.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life ... 446418.ece

Glad to see that ben ashton reads the women's section of the Times online.
Oi! Haha I actually read it in Times2 (the real paper kind), just found it there online to link it.

Also the other article about bullying/emotional scarring/etc was slated for days afterwards by numerous people including a headmaster and it was recognised as being based on out-of-date preconceptions and, in short, bollox. Which we all knew of course :P
Cherish pity; lest you drive an angel from your door

LaB 1, MidB 40, 97-02
lonelymom
Button Grecian

Post by lonelymom »

Thanks for your lovely welcome Gemma. Like huggermugger, I'm fine too at the moment, probably because we're both almost within hugging distance of our children (only 2 days to go!). I can't speak for huggermugger, but I am sure I'll feel a bit wobbly come Sunday evening. I intend to try and be less tearful this time though. I know she's loving it there, so I just have to keep reminding myself of that whenever the floodgates open.

Thanks again.
Momto2
Deputy Grecian

Post by Momto2 »

Yes, thank you Gemma - what a really sweet gesture :)

My children have been there a while now - GE & LE - so pretty much used to it (though I don't think I'll ever get used to saying Goodbye to them)! I do take heart in the absolute knowledge that they love their CH life. Even after 4 years I still count down the days until I can give them a big hug.
huggermugger
Deputy Grecian

Post by huggermugger »

:?: Any point in moving this one to the new parents section as well? :?:
cj
Button Grecian

Post by cj »

huggermugger wrote::?: Any point in moving this one to the new parents section as well? :?:
Probably yes.

Have a fantastic weekend with the children, all parents. I've had massive cuddles with mine today and know that you will be enjoying your time together just as much.
btw we will be here on Sunday evening/Monday morning to mop up.
xx
Catherine Standing (Cooper) Image
Canteen Cath 1.12 (1983-85) & Col A 20 (1985-90)

Any idiot can deal with a crisis. It takes a genius to cope with everyday life.