UCL

Want to contact someone who's been to the Uni you're thinking of going to?
Old Blues - post here if you're prepared to offer advice/support to someone thinking of going to your Uni...

Moderator: Moderators

jp
2nd Former

UCL

Post by jp »

I left UCL circa 1995, and have lived in London ever since. If anyone would like info on being a poor student in London, or on UCL or Kings (KCL), just ask.
"He rose from his chair in the manner of a man whose chief interests are drinking port, and sitting still."
LB/LA 84-91
Sophie
2nd Former

Post by Sophie »

Personally I didnt like UCL much, but thats not to say it wont work for other people! However I do like living in London (being a country bumkin, tis quite surprising), and everyone rants about how expensive it is, but seriously it isnt that bad.
LHB 96-02, GE 02/03
Sergiu Panaite
3rd Former

Post by Sergiu Panaite »

I did 2 years of Electronic Eng at UCL, and then ran out of money (complicated sponsorship explanations, far too long for how tired I am), but I found that despite what people said, London really wasn't that bad - especially bargain-wise, all you had to do is look carefully really. Otherwise, I loved it, I really did want to spend some time in a continuously busy city, and London was more than perfect - wouldn't want to live there though :D
Serg
LaB '97-'98, MaA '98-'99, MaB '99-'01, GrE '01-'02 - confused?
Jo
Button Grecian

Re: UCL

Post by Jo »

I did French at UCL, though it's <groan> nearly 30 years since I left. One of my year is Head of Department there now. I loved every single minute of my time there, and London is still my favourite city in the world, but I wouldn't want to live there permanently now. That was, of course, before the days of student loans, but we managed to knock out a pretty good social life on not very much.
Jo
5.7, 1967-75
LittleLamperouge
2nd Former

Post by LittleLamperouge »

Hello!

I was wondering if anyone who went to UCL could possibly help me as I'm thinking about applying to go there. I'd like to go into medicine eventually - but have been told it's best to go in training for something else and then go into medicine afterwards...but I have no idea really O_O. Help muchly appreciated :D
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Not sure why you should do something else first the training is long enough as it is. All the current med students I know (3 of them at last count)started with medicine and are then taking an additional subject in the middle.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
LittleLamperouge
2nd Former

Ah OK. Thank you for clearing that up :D
Um...would you happen to know of anyone with links to UCL? Also, do you know if the medical students you know had to take a BMAT or UKCAT test?
One last thing >_< - if you hear of any work shadowing opportunities, do you think you could let me know :mrgreen: ?
I'm in sixth form and finding it tricky getting work placements and am also not entirely sure what type of things I should be doing at this point to strengthen my personal statement for uni applications etc...
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

My nephew is being sponsored by the Army (and was through sixth form as well) so his extra-curricular is spent with them. My niece (his cousin) worked as a nursing assistant in a stroke unit. The other person worked in home for young people with disabilities. I think that showing you are willing to get 'down and dirty' and can be compassionate is useful.

Incidentally, my nephew is the only one of his Army medic peer group who didn't go to grammar/private school!
My niece was predicted AAB in 2008 and didn't get a place but the predicted B turned into an A - one of the top 3 in the exam board, and is now at Peninsula. Nephew is at Liverpool, where the teaching/learning style is problem based so you are on the wards from about the second week, if that is your style, doesn't suit everyone I know.
LittleLamperouge
2nd Former

OK, thank you ^_^.
O_O AAB wasn't accepted? Woah...congrats for Peninsula though!
I've never heard of the problem based way before, but it sounds really interesting :D learn on the job as it were. Guess that means I'll have to know my stuff before I get there though - prior research needed ^_^.
Thank you so much for your time and advice!!! :D
midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

How do they manage without having learnt at least basic Anatomy and Physiology, and Pharmacology.? Biochemistry
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

They don't actually do 'hands on', they are just observers. Nurses used to do it that way too.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

englishangel wrote:They don't actually do 'hands on', they are just observers. Nurses used to do it that way too.

I won't ask you to erlaborate on that sentence, Mary !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

I couldn't if I tried.