Aberystwyth Anybody?

Want to contact someone who's been to the Uni you're thinking of going to?
Old Blues - post here if you're prepared to offer advice/support to someone thinking of going to your Uni...

Moderator: Moderators

DavebytheSea
Forum Moderator

Aberystwyth Anybody?

Post by DavebytheSea »

I hear it is the cheapest place to study in the UK. What's it like?
David Eastburn (Prep B and Mid A 1947-55)
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

Closed, mostly!

Actually, one of my best mates went there. I'll ask him, if you like.

This was in the late '70s / early '80s, though. Things might have changed a bit.
Ba.A / Mid. B 1972 - 1978

Thee's got'n where thee cassn't back'n, hassn't?
DavebytheSea
Forum Moderator

Post by DavebytheSea »

They seem to do Physics there (what Jonathan wants) and, as we have now plunged into deep financial crisis (what with having to take Oliver out of the state system and CH not taking other school fees into account and unable to accept him at 13), cost is going to be an issue for him; there will be no parental support.

So yes please, Richard, any feedback is good.
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

If you have a problem with the Welsh language it may not be the best place. The current Mayor is one of the most rabid, urging Welsh speakers to breed more Welsh speaking babies - as heard on Radio 4 yesterday. I know I have posted elsewhere that I do not recognise the Wales that some speak of, and I don't, I thought this might be worth a mention.

I don't often go to Aber, it looks as if it had its heyday in Victorian times.
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

DavebytheSea wrote:(what with having to take Oliver out of the state system and CH not taking other school fees into account and unable to accept him at 13),
That's not at all helpful, is it?

Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

Katharine wrote:If you have a problem with the Welsh language it may not be the best place. The current Mayor is one of the most rabid, urging Welsh speakers to breed more Welsh speaking babies - as heard on Radio 4 yesterday. I know I have posted elsewhere that I do not recognise the Wales that some speak of, and I don't, I thought this might be worth a mention.

If truth be told, my friend did have a few problems with the locals because he sounds English, notwithstanding the fact that both his parents were Welsh speakers. You would think that being named Gareth Wyn Williams might have caused the penny to drop, too.

However, as I say this was quite a long time ago.

DavebytheSea
Forum Moderator

Post by DavebytheSea »

Jonathan is proud of being Cornish and can say "hello" (in Cornish). Would that help?
blondie95
Button Grecian

Post by blondie95 »

if its physics he's interested in then Univerisyt of Leicester is very good for it and Leciester is a cheap city-really geared to students
Hannoir
Deputy Grecian

Post by Hannoir »

yeah anywhere north is good. manchester, leeds, leicester, birmingham etc. just not the south east.
"All I need to be happy is a little house with a small yard, a white-picket fence, some trees in the yard, and some of my enemies hanging on the trees."

-Poet, Heinrich Heine

BA/GrE 00-02
DavebytheSea
Forum Moderator

Post by DavebytheSea »

Thanks. I will check out some of those - he is probably too busy enjoying himself at CH.
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

What about one of the Northern unis - granted the distance to Cornwall is a long way away but the cost of living is much lower.

An example of this:

Exeter houses for rent tend to be about £60 a week for a room in the second year.

In Lancaster, for example, average room prices are around £45 I believe - quite a difference!
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
AndrewH
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by AndrewH »

Katharine wrote:If you have a problem with the Welsh language it may not be the best place. The current Mayor is one of the most rabid, urging Welsh speakers to breed more Welsh speaking babies - as heard on Radio 4 yesterday. I know I have posted elsewhere that I do not recognise the Wales that some speak of, and I don't, I thought this might be worth a mention.

I know someone who was there about some years ago - although from Wales she is not Welsh speaking (beyond the little learnt at school) and foundthat she was excluded from various events that tend to be Welsh only.

Someone else (who is a Welsh speaker) was in a pub near Aber with some Cardiff students (from all over the world), they managed to get thrown out when he took exception to the comments (in Welsh) made by the other people in the place about them talking in English!

Also Aber takes FOR EVER to get to, as the roads through Wales are not good for being in a hurry on (took us four hours to get bach to Cardiff last time we did it, although that was partly due to getting lost after a badly signposted diversion!)
Andrew Harrison
Maine A 1970-73
Lamb A 1973-77
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

David.. I have only just picked up on this.
I have a nephew at Aberystwyth. He is about to enter his third year.
He is supremely happy - just scrapes through every year and has lots of fun, as well as works hard.
Today (Friday) he is gloating because Aberystwyth has come out top or near the top in most aspects of the National Student Survey....
You can go to http://www.tqi.ac.uk to check out the NSS, but if it's not there go to BBC News 24.
However, I am probably so far behind the beat that Jonathan has probably accepted a place somewhere else. Hope his results were what he wanted.
Kerren
Kerren Simmonds
5's and 2's Hertford, 1957-1966
DavebytheSea
Forum Moderator

Post by DavebytheSea »

Thanks Kerren.

We came ashore yesterday morning having crossed the Channel without Jonathan who had to fly from Brest to join the CH party currently at Taizé in Burgundy. We were delayed in France by gales.

He has left me to sort out out all his uni stuff for Exeter whither he is going to study Physics.
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

Hello David
I'm sure Jonathan will be very happy in Exeter.. and its much closer to home than Aberystwyth!
Hope also that he is happy in Taize. I heard that Nicola Mitra was leading a CH group there.
Kerren
Kerren Simmonds
5's and 2's Hertford, 1957-1966