Southampton

Want to contact someone who's been to the Uni you're thinking of going to?
Old Blues - post here if you're prepared to offer advice/support to someone thinking of going to your Uni...

Moderator: Moderators

Deb GP
Deputy Grecian

Southampton

Post by Deb GP »

I went to So'ton Uni.
Am happy to comment - halls of residence, areas of town to avoid, decent (student) pubs, recipes for Juicy Lucys (a Southampton Cocktail special), et c.
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

So did most of the Meeks family, bar Michael I think Debbie....

And quite a lot of the guys who left in the last couple of years...
Deb GP
Deputy Grecian

Post by Deb GP »

And? I don't see them posting here... :P
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

Fair point! :)
Hendrik
Deputy Grecian

Post by Hendrik »

i think southampton has the biggest old blue community in the world. i believe bristol is second. southampton and bristol should have their own bl**dy forum!
bb503
2nd Former

Post by bb503 »

I'm down here in sunny Soton at the moment (and i can think of at least 10 others who are!!) so Slender you may be right! But seriously, its a really good Uni for the right subjects and I'd also be happy to advise anyone who wants to come here/show them around.

Ben
Laura M
Deputy Grecian

Soton

Post by Laura M »

I'm in the Soton massive at the moment!! If anyone is thinking of coming to Southampton (particularly to study humanities) next year or in the future (and you should) and wants a tour of mighty Soton let me know, as I am a very lazy student I have lots of free time!!!
Two men lying in a bed, one rolled over to the other and said, 'I'm gonna lead me a life of danger, I'm gonna marry a WESSEX RANGER!'
BaA 97-03 GrW 03-04
QB_DeRuyter
2nd Former

Southampton Institute

Post by QB_DeRuyter »

For an honest Truth, I went to Southampton Institute, the city, well, I wasn't keen on it, nightlife wasnt too great. The Institute it self seemed to be a little run down and adminstration, when dealing with a problem was extremely slow. Halls on the other hand were an absolute laugh, al halls i was in or visited were great! I ended dropping out after two terms as I didnt like the course I was on and the fact thatI REALLY didnt like the City. Sorry if that put a downer on thing, Oli
Oli DeRuyter - Thornton B 1997- 2003 / Grecians West 2003 -2004
bb503
2nd Former

Fair Play Oli

Post by bb503 »

To be honest I can't say that I blame you Oli, the institute (or Solent Uni as it's now called) has never been exactly highly rated... The REAL Uni on the other hand is completely different! No, I will concede that you're right about the town. There's nothing particularly special about it, lots of fairly non-descript clubs/pubs, all the usual chains. There are a few exceptions, but you've really gotta search a bit for them. But each to their own... the nightlife was never my primary concern when picking a Uni so it's turned out ok for me. All the best Oli in whatever you end up doing. Take it easy, Ben
DavebytheSea
Forum Moderator

Post by DavebytheSea »

What about physics at Southampton? .... and sailing????
David Eastburn (Prep B and Mid A 1947-55)
blondie95
Button Grecian

Post by blondie95 »

well everyone i know who went to Southampton went for engineering and science subjects-its very good in that area i believe
Hannoir
Deputy Grecian

Post by Hannoir »

well its by the sea and the sailing is top notch in the solent, isle of wight etc. yep it does have a good rep for sciences.
"All I need to be happy is a little house with a small yard, a white-picket fence, some trees in the yard, and some of my enemies hanging on the trees."

-Poet, Heinrich Heine

BA/GrE 00-02
Sallz
Button Grecian

Re: Southampton

Post by Sallz »

I only just found this thread- Not sure how I managed that.

I'm just coming to the end of my first year at Soton, and thought I would leave a note for any current blues looking to come in the next few years to say there is still an OB at Soton.
Sally Ford
Col A 44 01-06, Thorn B 56 06-07, Grecians West 07-08