Dormitories, studies etc...

Share your memories and stories from the Hertford Christ's Hospital School, which closed in 1985, when the two schools integrated to the Horsham site....

Moderator: Moderators

englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

I love that.

I never got the 'waiting to see DR' thing, she caught me herself, punishment swift and sure.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

Love your story, Alex. DR probably had a good idea how Barnes Wallis would react, so you had your punishment time thinking of the letter, writing it and waiting for a reaction, but there was an end to it when his letter came.

I bet you have always been careful since that things you stand on are properly fixed. In all an excellent punishment!!
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
Jude
Button Grecian

Post by Jude »

I swore at our maths teacher - I think I actually used the F word - he sent me to Miss Tucker......

I fully remember her secretary asking me what I had done - she was desperately trying not to laugh I could see that - but the sitting on that chair waiting to be seen by Miss Tucker.....

I explained what had happened and why I had sworn at him - strangely I don't remember any repurcussions apart from apologising to him (which I would have done anyway as I was so shocked I had said such a thing!!)
Jude Comber (nee Kelynack) 5's 5.38 1975-1980 Herts.
To Learn - read, to Know - write, to MASTER - Teach
Alexandra Thrift
Deputy Grecian

Just looking back on this thread..........

Post by Alexandra Thrift »

.....and I noticed Mary,when you were discussing the junior houses (1s and 5s ) you said this

In 1965 I think there was only one girl in 2nd form who had been in 1st form the year before, a tiny little thing who was in !'s.

I think that "tiny little thing" was Jane Stephens who was indeed minute,blond and very cute.I remember that even DR spoilt her slightly! She recited that AA Milne poem " King John he was a Good Man" in the Recitation Competition and was brilliant and won.

Sadly she died after an illness a couple of years ago,by then living in the USA. It was reported on the OG magazine.
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Well done, Alex you are amazing, did she not have an older sister somewhere?
Katharine
Button Grecian

Re: Just looking back on this thread..........

Post by Katharine »

Alexandra Thrift wrote:.....and I noticed Mary,when you were discussing the junior houses (1s and 5s ) you said this

In 1965 I think there was only one girl in 2nd form who had been in 1st form the year before, a tiny little thing who was in !'s.

I think that "tiny little thing" was Jane Stephens who was indeed minute,blond and very cute.I remember that even DR spoilt her slightly!
Even I, from my lofty heights at the time, remember Jane's existence. Was her sister Ann(e) in 8s?

I think the largest number of 1st form in my time was 4. There was only one girl in my year, Judith Lane, 1s & 7s, who went all the way through from 1st to UVI. As I said in my very first post here, I think my Maths teacher in the VI, Joy Holmes did a full 10 years and still came back to teach!
Alexandra Thrift
Deputy Grecian

Yes, Jane Stephen's sister was indeed Anne. Anne published a very touching, brief obituary in the OG's mag. I would have liked to have asked more but it's difficult to encroach on such a sensitive issue.

This is what worries me about these new mags,formats etc.

It almost feels like the Hertford school with it's special "vibe" has been voted out of existence. I have now received the first "posh" copy of the Old Blue and all trace of Hertford and the more "female" reminiscences and information that I personally enjoy or find important seems to have been erased.

Not all of us go on to have illustrious careers or become a public dignitary especially if say, we were involved in supporting and bringing up a family and I feel uncomfortable about the emphasis on the external image of a "Blue" as opposed to their "whole" life including family etc. The traditional OG mag. somehow retained a feeling of our importance as women.I feel I am expressing this very badly but maybe someone understands what I am trying to say !!
AKAP
Grecian

Post by AKAP »

Your point is probably very valid but to be fair, John has already suggested a volunteer co-editor from Hertford on another thread.
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

Alexandra Thrift wrote:This is what worries me about these new mags,formats etc.

It almost feels like the Hertford school with it's special "vibe" has been voted out of existence. I have now received the first "posh" copy of the Old Blue and all trace of Hertford and the more "female" reminiscences and information that I personally enjoy or find important seems to have been erased.

Not all of us go on to have illustrious careers or become a public dignitary especially if say, we were involved in supporting and bringing up a family and I feel uncomfortable about the emphasis on the external image of a "Blue" as opposed to their "whole" life including family etc. The traditional OG mag. somehow retained a feeling of our importance as women.I feel I am expressing this very badly but maybe someone understands what I am trying to say !!
See viewtopic.php?p=16664&highlight=#16664 and the following posts for some ideas on this, Alex. We were brought up to see ourselves as children of the house and equal to the boys - however by sheer force of numbers more than 800 of them and less than 300 of us - the male of the species predominates in everything. It may be different now.

Speaking personally, I am very happily married. I have followed my husband around the world in pursuit of his career and have had a fantastic time, including 12 wonderful years in three different postings to Borneo. There are times when I feel I would have disappointed DR by not fulfilling my potential. At Oxford I wanted to go into Aid Administration Work, was told to get field experience and did VSO - met John at a conference in Ghana, and as they say the rest is history. Sometimes I wonder ... what if I had not gone there ....
midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

Katharine wrote:
Alexandra Thrift wrote:This is what worries me about these new mags,formats etc.

See viewtopic.php?p=16664&highlight=#16664 and the following posts for some ideas on this, Alex. We were brought up to see ourselves as children of the house and equal to the boys - however by sheer force of numbers more than 800 of them and less than 300 of us - the male of the species predominates in everything. It may be different now.
Did any other OBs from HERTFORD see The Times Magazine today. An article about CH with Hertford completely written out! Only 2 female OBs mentioned (they refer to OBs as Old BOys) and the school apparently moved straight from London to Horsham. I feel a letter to the Editor brewing, but only after I have calmed down a bit
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

midget wrote:
Katharine wrote:

Did any other OBs from HERTFORD see The Times Magazine today. An article about CH with Hertford completely written out! Only 2 female OBs mentioned (they refer to OBs as Old BOys) and the school apparently moved straight from London to Horsham. I feel a letter to the Editor brewing, but only after I have calmed down a bit
I am just off to buy it, perhaps we should bombard them. email all the women on FRU.
Alexandra Thrift
Deputy Grecian

Thanks for the link Mary. I didn't mean to be unappreciative of John's magnificent effort on the new integrated "Old Blue". It just seems that any trace of Hertford in general, not just in the Old Blue,is being abruptly cut off ( I do realise that this isn't a deliberate plot!) . Even the temporary "Hertford" House at Housey has now closed. I believe there is still a Hertford Avenue though, isn't there?

Living,breathing Hertford Veterans will be clomping around the planet Earth for the next ...well...sixty years...so I feel our memory is being (albeit accidently) eradicated with indecent haste !

I'm a little nervous about volunteering some help, as I've no idea what that would entail.....I think I'll ask John H.

Btw ...regarding what I said in a previous post about OBs who don't go on to be particularly illustrious ( although I have had my brief moments of glory....pats herself on the back); in my middle age and somewhat ickily I will admit to at last appreciating the last verse of the Foundation Hymn..."Brothers ,best with righteous living shall our grateful thanks be paid"....now that seems a vaguely attainable and modest request !! Even for me....sometimes :wink:
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Alexandra Thrift wrote:Thanks for the link Mary. I didn't mean to be unappreciative of John's magnificent effort on the new integrated "Old Blue". It just seems that any trace of Hertford in general, not just in the Old Blue,is being abruptly cut off ( I do realise that this isn't a deliberate plot!) . Even the temporary "Hertford" House at Housey has now closed. I believe there is still a Hertford Avenue though, isn't there?

Living,breathing Hertford Veterans will be clomping around the planet Earth for the next ...well...sixty years...so I feel our memory is being (albeit accidently) eradicated with indecent haste !

I'm a little nervous about volunteering some help, as I've no idea what that would entail.....I think I'll ask John H.

Btw ...regarding what I said in a previous post about OBs who don't go on to be particularly illustrious ( although I have had my brief moments of glory....pats herself on the back); in my middle age and somewhat ickily I will admit to at last appreciating the last verse of the Foundation Hymn..."Brothers ,best with righteous living shall our grateful thanks be paid"....now that seems a vaguely attainable and modest request !! Even for me....sometimes :wink:
It was Katharine actually, credit where credit is due.

I did buy the Times for the article and although Hertford is 'deleted' there is a mention of a couple of OGs. The glaring error is of course what OB stands for. We can't all be in the public eye all the time, like the rest of the country we are doctors, nurses, university professors, lawyers, teachers, dressmakers (probably quite a lot of those), wives and mothers etc. I think Shania Twain did a song about this.

Why are they so surprised that 50% of the kids are from single parent families, surely that is just current demographics?
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

I think CH does have a higher input of single parent families...

I remember the squits intake on my LE in MaB... There were 17 kids, only 3 of which lived ith both parents...
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
Jude
Button Grecian

Post by Jude »

I hope all you OBs and OG's are aware that Mother Nature in her wisdom to keep the replenishing of humans has ensured that there is a massive differecial between mal and female numbers - which probably goes to explain the single family number increases.... in the "old" days, you remained a spinster divorce didn't happen and that was that.

Now with the female population at just above 2:1 men, you can see why they get all the best of life - there are 2 females for everyone of them )(even if some are gay); we have only just managed to crawl out of the kitchen and from changing nappies into getting into businesses - but woe oh woe on the radio today yes Feb 2006 - women are still paid less than men in the same jobs... upto a £million per life time.....

So guys - i think it's time you picked yourselves up from the couch and get on with the washing and cleaning - and I will go and be a Dr, or a Judge or if I don't want to use my brain become a polititian. 8)
Jude Comber (nee Kelynack) 5's 5.38 1975-1980 Herts.
To Learn - read, to Know - write, to MASTER - Teach