Up t'inf

Share your memories and stories from the Hertford Christ's Hospital School, which closed in 1985, when the two schools integrated to the Horsham site....

Moderator: Moderators

Vonny
Button Grecian

Up t'inf

Post by Vonny »

Used to actually quite enjoy it "up t'inf" - at least you were waited on and got a hot drink before lights out! Must admit I feigned a few illnesses to get some time up there! :oops: I actually spent my first night at CH in the infirmary as I threw up in the dayroom after my first tea in 2's! 8) :lol:
If I remember rightly we had Sister Quin & Nurse Chugg at the infirmary in my day.
2's 1981-1985 2:12 BaB 1985-1988 BaB 41
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

We had a very big sister when I started and she was replaced by a very little one.

My first year I was up t'inf and was talking after lights out. Sister came in and told me that my mother had said I wouldn't settle down to sleep. this was at about 8.30.

At home I went to bed at 9 and went to sleep about 11., at the age of 11. always needed very little sleep.

My daughter is just the same (as is/was my Mum).
Vonny
Button Grecian

Post by Vonny »

englishangel wrote:We had a very big sister when I started and she was replaced by a very little one.
Surprised Sister Quinn wasn't there when you were as she was ancient in the early 1980's!
2's 1981-1985 2:12 BaB 1985-1988 BaB 41
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Vonny wrote:
englishangel wrote:We had a very big sister when I started and she was replaced by a very little one.
Surprised Sister Quinn wasn't there when you were as she was ancient in the early 1980's!
Maybe she was but the old memory is going.
fivethreeone
2nd Former

Post by fivethreeone »

Vonny wrote:
Sister Quinn took over while I was at Hertford probably around 1976.
Jude
Button Grecian

Post by Jude »

I'm fairly sure Helen is right and it was sister Quinn we had from 75 onwards - one of the nurses changed - but remember queuing to see the doc or the nurse - cough medicine was always that black tarry licorice stuff that was probably very alcoholic!!

I remember the BCG time - everyone was scared - we had all seen the year before and the pus that flowed out of girls arms - when it got to my turn I passed out! and came to in sisters sitting room! Was held in for the rest of the day - but was fine - as far as I know I am the only girl of our year whose arm didn't sweel up and the injection site pus - my son was the same (except he didn't pass out) my daughter has a scar like most - how many of you have a scar / not got a scar?
Jude Comber (nee Kelynack) 5's 5.38 1975-1980 Herts.
To Learn - read, to Know - write, to MASTER - Teach
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

My older son missed BCG because he was ill though the twins (17) had it, but do you realise they have stopped doing it "except in areas of need"?
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
Jude
Button Grecian

Post by Jude »

really? I thought it was still being done widespread - it is certainly here in deepest darkest Gloucestershire! The number of TB patients in the SW has increased (lots of legal and ilegal imigrants) I can't think why they would stop it, but I'm glad that I don't have to have it again! I had heaf tests done when I was pregnant - and Oh boy did I have a reaction!!! it took the pregnancy birth and first 9 months at least to go down! The doc used to think I had ringworm!
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Jude wrote:really? I thought it was still being done widespread - it is certainly here in deepest darkest Gloucestershire! The number of TB patients in the SW has increased (lots of legal and ilegal imigrants) I can't think why they would stop it, but I'm glad that I don't have to have it again! I had heaf tests done when I was pregnant - and Oh boy did I have a reaction!!! it took the pregnancy birth and first 9 months at least to go down! The doc used to think I had ringworm!
How do they know who 'needs' BCG, my son has a lot of friends I don'rt know and goes to 'gigs' all over the place, a breeding ground for TB I should think.

I also react to the Heaf test in a really big way. However my rubella immunity has never stuck for some reason.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
Jude
Button Grecian

Post by Jude »

Every one needs to have the BCG - unless the NHS is thinking of re-opening all the TB wards ( I suppose it would take up all the staff who have been booted over the past few weeks...) in my day Doctors and Professors ran the hospital.. they had the combined experience of what money was neede here and there, I remember the first Medical Assistant joining the hospital - I don't think they lasted long as we were run as we were needed.. That's the trouble with the NHS too many chiefs and not enough indians.. get rid of those who have buisness manager degrees, and replace with those who know how a hospital runs as they have a medical degree and used it and hey presto Trillions of £'s saved......

Last time I had my heaf test I was still wonderfully immune to measles - now I don't know as my immune system is eating me, so I haven't a clue as to the last vestiges of immunity I might have!

All I know is every year they give me b***y 'flu jab, and every time I go down with a cold or my glands swell up, that injection site gives me hell! The nurse and Doc think it very funny!!!
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

Jude wrote:
All I know is every year they give me b***y 'flu jab, and every time I go down with a cold or my glands swell up, that injection site gives me hell! The nurse and Doc think it very funny!!!
I've had most of those going starti9ng with Smallpox (!!!) and going through the bopok at up to 12 in a sitting / bend over session but the only one which ever (and still does) affect me is the flu jab - I nearly pass out every time.

BCG? - a family member had TB so they "did" the whole extended family as a precaution. Years later someone else got TB so they did everyone else again so I've had it twice! No effect reaction or scar either time - I reckon the NHS was saving money by using water.
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Re: In the Infirmary Queue...

Post by Angela Woodford »

I have sneaked back to Hertford Memories after reading, with some interest, the state of (fore)play at today's liberated Horsham.

I was moved to choke with laughter all of a sudden at the thought of going to the Infirmary after breakfast, heaving open the heavy back door, breathing in that subtle miasma of surgical spirit in the air and queueing up for a word with huge fierce Sister Summers outside her treatment room door...

One would have to go into the treatment room though... for total confidentiality, according to one's rights....

Imagine asking Sister for a few condoms? And Sister, maybe choking back her concern as to one's sexual wellbeing, handing over several (always carry a spare!) assuring one that none of the House, teaching staff, or one's parents would be informed? That would have been a concerned and caring letter for Miss Gamble to type out, though.

"Please, Sister - " :wink:
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
fra828
Grecian

Re: Up t'inf

Post by fra828 »

:D :D Can you imagine it? Lonelywolf and co would have had a field day!!
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Post by Angela Woodford »

:lol: :lol: :lol: ... a foursome in 3's Little Dorm... stoppit! stoppit! :lol:
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Looks like this thread is starting to get interesting !! :roll:
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.