Up t'inf

Share your memories and stories from the Hertford Christ's Hospital School, which closed in 1985, when the two schools integrated to the Horsham site....

Moderator: Moderators

J.R.
Forum Moderator

Re: Up t'inf

Post by J.R. »

CHAZ wrote:Wasn't Ian Drury down to goto CH at one time? I vaguely remember him slagging it off....
You're absolutely right, Chaz !

In fact, I heard the interview in which he slagged-off the public school system in general, and the CH uniform in particular !

It still didn't stop me from adoring his music and poetry. I have all his albums on CD !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Post by Angela Woodford »

This computer didn't go up t'Imf!

As a madly economical thing, a DIY Restore programme has been attempted. Followed by hours with BT Internet + weepings + wailings + strong tea + tentatively being back, virus-free, to onlineness. Triumph... I think... I hope...

I have a faint memory of being offered a slurp at a pomegranate in 6's cloakroom. I thought it would be far more delicious, and rapidly ejected a mouthful of horrid sour pips into one of the basins . But I do remember that DR banned pomegranates on the grounds that they may cause appendicitis - I have a feeling that there might have been several appendicitis cases at some other girls' school somewhere?

But I don't remember one of the typed DRW-initialled notices anywhere.
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

I think the initial ban on pomegranates was before your time, Angela. If I remember correctly, it was before I was in the VI form. DR definitely believed that the pomegranates caused appendicitis, In Half to Remember, page 77 she writes:

We had most diseases during those thirty years with many operations, mainly for appendicitis, especially after a craze for eating pomegranate fruit which the shops in Hertford sold over a short period.

It doesn't say she banned them, but ever since I've had the memory of the pomegranates not being allowed to enter the school gates.
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
fra828
Grecian

Post by fra828 »

I always associate pomegranites with appendicitis. I can't remember DR actually saying it - the word must have been passed up thru the school . Several years ago I was telling a friend (no connection with CH), about this and before I said the word 'appendicitis', she came out with it and said she had been told the same thing as a child - so it wasn't only DR!!
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

I have a feeling that there was a similar concern about figs - which in my head is tied up with the suggestion that if one sat on a hot radiator, one would suffer from 'floating kidneys'. From where on earth did that come?!
Kerren Simmonds
5's and 2's Hertford, 1957-1966
midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

In my time it wasn't floating kidneys tou got from sitting on hot radiators!
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

And.... Maggie! What was it you might have got from sitting on a hot radiator?!
The mind boggles........................
Kerren Simmonds
icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

Post by icomefromalanddownunder »

kerrensimmonds wrote:I have a feeling that there was a similar concern about figs - which in my head is tied up with the suggestion that if one sat on a hot radiator, one would suffer from 'floating kidneys'. From where on earth did that come?!

lololol

The Pot used to tell us that we would get floating liver and piles from sitting on cold concrete, and also, I think, but this may be a case of confused memories, from sitting on the radiators.

I'm sure that if we had known about the pomegranate ban we would have been desperately cultivating them along the boundary fence and eating the seeds (despite the fact that they really don't taste very nice) just to cheese DR off.

Happy days :lol:
midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

kerrensimmonds wrote:And.... Maggie! What was it you might have got from sitting on a hot radiator?!
The mind boggles........................
Piles!
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

Ahhhhh!!!
Kerren Simmonds
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

[quote="midget/]Piles![/quote]

This was my understanding too. My Dad always said that swallowing cherry pits gave you appendicitis (I believe something similar was found in his appendix) so I suppose pomegranates just had so many they were worse.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
chaosriddenyears
Deputy Grecian

Post by chaosriddenyears »

Many people maintain to this day that swallowing pips increases the likelihood of appendicitis but I have never heard that pomegranetes were more dangerous than other fruit.

What on earth are "floating kidneys?" I can't even begin to imagine what the symptoms are!
midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

chaosriddenyears wrote:

What on earth are "floating kidneys?" I can't even begin to imagine what the symptoms are!
The lady of the house where I was evacuated in Wales had one! She was as tough as old boots so it didn't appear to do her much damage.
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

The very words were enough to scare an innocent schoolgirl who just wanted to sit on radiators, for the comfort it gave....
Kerren Simmonds
chaosriddenyears
Deputy Grecian

Post by chaosriddenyears »

Yes, especially after coming back frozen from those dreadful Sunday walks or "square bashing"!