Wartime Hertford

Share your memories and stories from the Hertford Christ's Hospital School, which closed in 1985, when the two schools integrated to the Horsham site....

Moderator: Moderators

Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

englishangel wrote:Regarding the Lent lectures, I remember DR reading Tess of the D'Urbervilles to us, possibly on Wednesdays in Lent.
In my time, DR read to Sixth form every Monday evening in the Head Girl's House. As 6s had the Head Girl my first two years I thought she did it in 6s all the time! It was quite a surprise when it moved! (It may have been winter terms only, can't be sure)

As a junior you had to come in from prep really quietly and creep about in the cloakroom until you went up to bed. I can remember going to readings but for the life of me can't remember what she read!
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

6s seem to have had a lot of head girls. At least one while I was there. Judy Evans.

!'s had the head girl my last 2 years.

I can't remember any others.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

englishangel wrote:6s seem to have had a lot of head girls. At least one while I was there. Judy Evans.

Which house had the head girl your last two years, Mary?

The 6s girls were the only 2 in my time, Clare Roper Power in my first year. Her sister Catherine (Sic!) had been head girl in the quartercentenary year I believe. The second was called Isobel Robertson(?), she had a lovely Scottish lilt. She had not been a Reader in Upper VI, but it was a joy to hear her read 'Give us thankful hearts ....', definitely not RP.

I can't name all the head girls of my time, 2 came from 3s both head organ girls as well, so I am missing 2 at the moment.
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

1's the same head girl for 2 consecutive years.

Judy Evans from 6's was about 66/67 I believe.
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

englishangel wrote:1's the same head girl for 2 consecutive years.

Judy Evans from 6's was about 66/67 I believe.
How did she get to be head twice?

I remember Judy but can't think how far below me she was, if Alex tells me her house number I might remember who had it before her!
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

she was Headgirl in Upper sixth then changed from sciences to Arts and stayed on for a 3rd sixth form year.
midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

Katharine wrote:
englishangel wrote:6s seem to have had a lot of head girls. At least one while I was there. Judy Evans.

The 6s girls were the only 2 in my time, Clare Roper Power in my first year. Her sister Catherine (Sic!) had been head girl in the quartercentenary year I believe.

I can't name all the head girls of my time, 2 came from 3s both head organ girls as well, so I am missing 2 at the moment.
Head Girl 1952-1953 was Catherine Llewellyn-Smith (her twin was at CH too) from 3's. The Previous one was Leonora Burton (6's) but I'm sure we had DR's reading on Mondays in 8's. I remember her reading The River Line Which I reread recently DR read aloud rather well as I recall
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

midget wrote:
Katharine wrote:

The 6s girls were the only 2 in my time, Clare Roper Power in my first year. Her sister Catherine (Sic!) had been head girl in the quartercentenary year I believe.

Head Girl 1952-1953 was Catherine Llewellyn-Smith (her twin was at CH too) from 3's. The Previous one was Leonora Burton (6's) but I'm sure we had DR's reading on Mondays in 8's. I remember her reading The River Line Which I reread recently DR read aloud rather well as I recall
Obviously got my Catherines mixed up, sorry. It was all before my time. I remember the name Leonora Burton from 6s Mons board, I thought the name Leonora very glamorous!

Yes DR did read well, but I'm not sure I concentrated! Did we have to take some needlework along to do while we listened?
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

We were certainly doing needlework, or maybe it was mending when the housemistress was away. Sewing of some description certainly.
midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

Katharine wrote:
midget wrote:
Katharine wrote: Which house had the head girl your last two years, Mary?

Obviously got my Catherines mixed up, sorry. It was all before my time. I remember the name Leonora Burton from 6s Mons board, I thought the name Leonora very glamorous!

Yes DR did read well, but I'm not sure I concentrated! Did we have to take some needlework along to do while we listened?
"Sale" work in the autumn term, school needlework the other 2. Did you still have the sale (for charity) at Christmas?
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

midget wrote:"Sale" work in the autumn term, school needlework the other 2. Did you still have the sale (for charity) at Christmas?
Yes, I now remember it was Sale work in Autumn term. Alternate years the stalls were organised by houses and forms. We always worked far harder for the House Sales, because you could be got at every hour of the day! Can't remember whether it would have been individual forms or years?

The sales raised what seemed like a lot of money, but I cannot remember how it was decided which charities would benefit.
midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

Katharine wrote:
midget wrote:"Sale" work in the autumn term, school needlework the other 2. Did you still have the sale (for charity) at Christmas?

The sales raised what seemed like a lot of money, but I cannot remember how it was decided which charities would benefit.
A meeting of UVI and staff decided. A fixed amount went to Benevolent Society of Blues,and to Chinese Girl (we had to pay 6d a term each to that fund). I remember Miss King always wanted a large chunk for the Wood Green animal shelter, and another staff member was keen on the Edward VII Hospital (for Officers) though what relevance that had for most people at CH escapes me.
Alexandra Thrift
Deputy Grecian

Post by Alexandra Thrift »

Hi everyone...can't stay long....just quickly...my number was 6:17 and your number Katharine ( 6:14) went to Siobhan Kierans who was incredibly bright ,sporty , original and energetic. She became my best friend but was always getting into trouble (along with me! ) DR tried to forbid us to be friends because we were in different years but it didn't work. If anybody ever watches " Eastenders " on TV ( I get dragged into it by my son...that's my excuse anyway)...Siobhan was lookswise very like a petite version of "Stacey Slater". I used to stay with her and her Mum ( a kind of surrogate Mum to me )during the hols at their flat in Brixton. Her Mum's boyfriend was...wait for it....John Major, who lived opposite.I met and dined with him and the family there, on many occasions . In fact Siobhan and I were guilty of helping him to get his first job in politics as a Lambeth Councillor as we spent the whole of one holiday leafletting Brixton with "Vote For John" handouts. We were aged about 12/13 , full of energy,and had a great laugh doing it. Yes, Major visited CH,Hertford on at least one Long Sat.

After Judy Evans, Rosalind Bush (sixes) became Headgirl. Margaret Foxton (sixes) was headgirl a few years later. Anyhow all the Headgirls will be up on that board , now at Horsham somewhere.

I was 6:17. I still sometimes find myself choosing 17 even 6, 17 amongst my Nat. Lottery numbers. How much cornier can I get? Answer...A LOT !
AKAP
Grecian

Post by AKAP »

Alexandra Thrift wrote:I was 6:17. I still sometimes find myself choosing 17 even 6, 17 amongst my Nat. Lottery numbers. How much cornier can I get? Answer...A LOT !
Sad I know, but I use 34 and 49 from Barnes B 49 and Mid B 34.
(Hasn't brought me any luck). :(
Laura M
Deputy Grecian

Post by Laura M »

Not sure if it's been mentioned or not but it seems relevant. Audrey Gregory (nee Griggs) wrote a book not long ago all about Hertford during the war. It's called Away from the Bombs and the Boys, for me it was an interesting read and inspired me to do an entire museum exhibition on it.
Two men lying in a bed, one rolled over to the other and said, 'I'm gonna lead me a life of danger, I'm gonna marry a WESSEX RANGER!'
BaA 97-03 GrW 03-04