Hot breakfasts

Share your memories and stories from the Hertford Christ's Hospital School, which closed in 1985, when the two schools integrated to the Horsham site....

Moderator: Moderators

ben ashton
Grecian

Post by ben ashton »

soup and mash is a genius idea!
Cherish pity; lest you drive an angel from your door

LaB 1, MidB 40, 97-02
Alexandra Thrift
Deputy Grecian

Re: Salad dressing

Post by Alexandra Thrift »

midget wrote:Dressing on salads-you haven't lived until you try the standard (ie every)
Sunday lunch between 1944 and 1952. Corned beef, plain boiled potato and winter salad- chopped cabbage,celery and beetroot- with no dressing and no taste.
Still we all survived and I did enjoy the economy lunch when rations were short. Very thick soup with a dollop of mash, followed by squashed flies.
Is there anyone out there from my dates?

Hi Midget ! Welcome to the forum. :D Wow...a wartime "old girl" of the kind we used to hear about from D.R. ( and occasionally on Old Girls Day from themselves ! ).

Was "Midget" your nickname at school ? Were you small? Please tell us more about yourself !

Did you sleep on those slatted bunks in the cellar which were still there throughout my incarceration....er...that is at C.H....not in the cellar ( 1965-72 ) ?Sometimes I would get a punishment for some misdemeanor ( like "talking in prayers" ) and have to spend a gloomy hour down in the cellar cleaning the sixth form shoes.I remember a certain future Head Girl brewing rice wine down there. There's an idea for another Hertford Thread..." What went on in the Cellar" :lol:

What was much younger D.R. like in your day?

We had "squashed flies" too but I've forgotten what they were ( economy lunch is obviously good for the memory!)....dates in sponge was it?

8 years at C.H. ......What " Wards" were you in ? I'm all ears....Why not start another thread in the Hertford Section, Midget called " Wartime Experiences" or whatever ....not meaning to boss you around I'm just really interested and am aware that this is the " Hot Breakfast" section and I am already Off-Topic.

Anyhow, great that you've joined us Midget. Looking forward to hearing more from you.
Alexandra Thrift
Deputy Grecian

Soup and Mash

Post by Alexandra Thrift »

ben ashton wrote:soup and mash is a genius idea!
Especially for poor students ( noticed Ben's age! )

Are you a good cook Ben ?Perhaps you should request some more economy wartime recipe ideas from Midget ?
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Alexandra Thrift wrote:
midget wrote:Dressing on salads-you haven't lived until you try the standard (ie every)
Sunday lunch between 1944 and 1952. Corned beef, plain boiled potato and winter salad- chopped cabbage,celery and beetroot- with no dressing and no taste.
Still we all survived and I did enjoy the economy lunch when rations were short. Very thick soup with a dollop of mash, followed by squashed flies.
Is there anyone out there from my dates?

Hi Midget ! Welcome to the forum. :D Wow...a wartime "old girl" of the kind we used to hear about from D.R. ( and occasionally on Old Girls Day from themselves ! ).

Was "Midget" your nickname at school ? Were you small? Please tell us more about yourself !

Did you sleep on those slatted bunks in the cellar which were still there throughout my incarceration....er...that is at C.H....not in the cellar ( 1965-72 ) ?Sometimes I would get a punishment for some misdemeanor ( like "talking in prayers" ) and have to spend a gloomy hour down in the cellar cleaning the sixth form shoes.I remember a certain future Head Girl brewing rice wine down there. There's an idea for another Hertford Thread..." What went on in the Cellar" :lol:

What was much younger D.R. like in your day?

We had "squashed flies" too but I've forgotten what they were ( economy lunch is obviously good for the memory!)....dates in sponge was it?

8 years at C.H. ......What " Wards" were you in ? I'm all ears....Why not start another thread in the Hertford Section, Midget called " Wartime Experiences" or whatever ....not meaning to boss you around I'm just really interested and am aware that this is the " Hot Breakfast" section and I am already Off-Topic.

Anyhow, great that you've joined us Midget. Looking forward to hearing more from you.
All that goes for me too.

I wonder if the slatted bunks were still there in '85, can you tell us Vonny?
ben ashton
Grecian

Post by ben ashton »

i can cook well if i can afford the food to cook with...

LaB 1, MidB 40, 97-02
sport!
Deputy Grecian

Post by sport! »

Ben - you're not related to Tony (CH in 70s) are you?

sorry off topic :oops:
BaB, ColB 1973-80
ben ashton
Grecian

Post by ben ashton »

i believe not

LaB 1, MidB 40, 97-02
sport!
Deputy Grecian

Post by sport! »

as long as you're sure :lol:
BaB, ColB 1973-80
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

ben ashton wrote:i believe not
WHAT!!!!

Vonny
Button Grecian

Post by Vonny »

englishangel wrote: I wonder if the slatted bunks were still there in '85, can you tell us Vonny?
I don't remember them in 2's cellar. Didn't go down there much - it was kind of eerie down there - don't think I would have ever gone down there alone! Image

I do remember in December 1983 the 2's 3rd form (Hertford 3rd form) spent a lot bof time down there making/painting the Xmas decs for the dorm. It was tradition for the 3rd year to make the decs as a surprise for the 1st & 2nd year.
englishangel
Forum Moderator

cellars

Post by englishangel »

When I was there, going back to Alex's post, (was it here?) we were down there every evening polishing our shoes.

The shoes we were supplied were a funny sort of orange colour but by half term, by dint of daily polishing they would be a lovely conker brown, and as soft as a pair of kid gloves.

We only went to the bottom of the stairs though, further in was a bit spooky.

I was in 2's and the 4th form up did the decs in my time

Only time I got a disorder was for being late back after a holly and ivy picking expedition. Was in 5th form and went out with another 5th former and one from lower sixth. Unfortunately as we snuck in 10 minutes late we ran straight in DR (as it was then) We all lost our BAs.

Then the next day I was in the library at break, ( no BA no library) and Betty Jukes came in. If it had been one of the newer staff she might have tiurned a blind eye but Betty knew every nuance of the rules so, disorder report.

We got out BAs back at the Christmas assembly and I went on to get my GA at the end of fifth form.
Alex vS
2nd Former

Breakfast

Post by Alex vS »

I don't remember hot breakfasts (1979 - 84) but that doesn't mean they didn't happen.

I remember regularly eating four shredded wheat coz others in 7 didn't like them, and thinking that the advert was a load of rubbish (Can you eat......).

I also remember appalling pork chops, cooked in a baking tray in the oven, which were so pumped full of water that came out in the cooking and created a watery scummy layer all over the chops. Now that deserves the puking emoticon!
Vonny
Button Grecian

Re: Breakfast

Post by Vonny »

Alex vS wrote:I don't remember hot breakfasts (1979 - 84) but that doesn't mean they didn't happen.
Definitely did happen between 1981-1985 8) In fact if you were in 7's you would have had the hot breakfast the same days as me in 2's on a Tuesday :lol: Think it was 1's & 8's Monday, 2's & 7's Tuesday, 3's & 6's Wednesday and 4's & 5's Thursday 8) :lol:
2's 1981-1985 2:12 BaB 1985-1988 BaB 41
Alex vS
2nd Former

BA's and GA's

Post by Alex vS »

I've just worked out what the BA's and GA's of the previous posting are all about - Black Aprons and Green Aprons - instead of those blue overalls that everyone else wore to dinner. Forgotten all about them!
Vonny
Button Grecian

Re: BA's and GA's

Post by Vonny »

Alex vS wrote:Forgotten all about them!
I had until this conversation as well! I never got to wear one as we moved to Horsham the year my year would have worn them!
2's 1981-1985 2:12 BaB 1985-1988 BaB 41