New Forum Section - Hertford Memories

Share your memories and stories from the Hertford Christ's Hospital School, which closed in 1985, when the two schools integrated to the Horsham site....

Moderator: Moderators

Alexandra Thrift
Deputy Grecian

Spinsters

Post by Alexandra Thrift »

I must explain that there is a post higher in the thread by "Guest" and that "Guest" is me and I must have omitted to log-on. However it is interesting to see that I can do that if I want and make a post kind of anonymous.

When I registered and gave my real name I didn't realise that that would count as my "user name".However it's not such a bad thing to post as "myself" and to not be afraid to take full responsibility for what I write. Why should I have to hide and indeed why should anybody?

Yes DR is a spinster unless she recently tied the knot aged ninety something!

I have to admire her incredible self-discipline, which I think she considered was part and parcel of her Christian faith ( disciple).

I could never be immaculately organised like this and in fact found the strict routine and predictability of life at Hertford profoundly depressing.The bell would toll at 7.00 every morning Dong dong dong, dong dong,dong dong.......etc and I would lie for 2 minutes ( before I got into trouble for not instantly leaping out of bed) and feel the oppressive day, that I knew every moment of already, stretching ahead like a terrible punishment, and all within the confines of that claustrophobic several acres,surrounded by a high brick wall with broken glass embedded along the top.
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Hertford memories

Post by englishangel »

I realised it was you Alex.

If you click on my name anywhere it is underlined it will take you to my profile where my full name is, and somewhere there you can also click to email me, on the left hand side.
Alexandra Thrift
Deputy Grecian

Thanks for the help, englishangel

Post by Alexandra Thrift »

...I will get around to reading the insructions on how to use this forum, I just haven't had time !

I will also email you; again no time at the moment and I would rather think about what I write.

I think I know who "euterpe" is .Lovely to hear from her. I was amused by her comment about how surprising it is that we didn't all become promiscuous, alcoholic drug-takers on leaving school !!! ( and will add no further comment :wink: )

Gotta go to bed. Lights out! and best wishes to you and all who post here.
( boys and Horsham girls WELCOME to post in this section as far as I'm concerned)
Euterpe13
Button Grecian

Re: Thanks for the help, englishangel

Post by Euterpe13 »

Alexandra Thrift wrote:I think I know who "euterpe" is .Lovely to hear from her. I was amused by her comment about how surprising it is that we didn't all become promiscuous, alcoholic drug-takers on leaving school !!! ( and will add no further comment :wink: )
Alex - as MV said, you only have to click on my name to verify identity - as to becoming "promiscuous... " - well, perhaps some of us did....but that is still covered by libel laws, so we won't go there!

Will just add that, apart from my leaving-day rebellion ( DR had a fit when she saw me!), the first 2 things I did when I left Hertfort were 1) to out to dinner with my Ma and get rat-arsed and 2) dye my hair bright red!
Only regret : I didnt send her a photo of either - but then she already thought that I was a " bad lot", so ...
cheers -
off to L'pool for the long week-end to visit my lovely daughter -
B
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

STRICTLY SINGLE House-mistresses administering to girls in a 'girls-only' school.

STRICTLY SINGLE priests administering to poor women about birth control and sin.

Sounds like a marvelous topic for conversation, ladies !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Euterpe13
Button Grecian

Post by Euterpe13 »

J.R., my lad , you have no idea where those conversations could go !...
give us lot a crate of booze and watch us .... one unmentioned so-far offshoot was the incredible amount of filthy jokes that went around - there were some I still cannot bring myself to repeat in mix company...

We also became past-masters at wearing make-up without it actually looking as though we were - merely "enhanced" , although I can still remember one poor girl having her face scrubbed with a handkerchief by Fanny on return from Long Sat because she looked too healthy for honesty - turned out that she really was just a nice colour....

Ah, the joys of boarding school in the days of Mary Whitehouse..
B
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

I won't do the joke about the girls school dormitory and time for 'lights-out', then ! Though originally, I think it was a convent dormitory !
DavebytheSea
Forum Moderator

Re: Hertford

Post by DavebytheSea »

englishangel wrote:Not an intrusion. if you read all of Euterpe's note you would have ssen that we are friendly, thoughtful and broad-minded.

We comment on your psots, so why shouldn't you send us messages. The more the merrier I say.
Well I am sorry you feel it necessary to comment on our spots; I have to say that most of us should have outgrown them by now. I, for one, would never dream of saying rude things about your pubescent problems, girls.

However, it is mentioned elsewhere on this thread that being cabined, cribbed, confined behind the Hertford walls, may have turned you all into raging nymphomaniacs. I wonder if that condition too has been outgrown .....? Perhaps you could let us mere males who trespass thus upon your thread know a little more ............................??
David Eastburn (Prep B and Mid A 1947-55)
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

Euterpe 13,

I'm pleased to read that you have Nick's photos. Did you have any success with the Thornton B Association?
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Hertford

Post by englishangel »

Euterpe13 wrote:J.R., my lad , you have no idea where those conversations could go !...
give us lot a crate of booze and watch us .... one unmentioned so-far offshoot was the incredible amount of filthy jokes that went around - there were some I still cannot bring myself to repeat in mix company...

We also became past-masters at wearing make-up without it actually looking as though we were - merely "enhanced" , although I can still remember one poor girl having her face scrubbed with a handkerchief by Fanny on return from Long Sat because she looked too healthy for honesty - turned out that she really was just a nice colour....

B
Euterpe was 2 years above me and in the same house. I rmember those jokes from my very first night in the dorm, especially the one about the ATR which would make any male go pale and cross his legs. (That was 40 years ago, :shock: )

And Dave, I meants posts, not spots. :)
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

englishangel wrote:
Euterpe13 wrote:J.R., my lad , you have no idea where those conversations could go !...

B
Euterpe was 2 years above me and in the same house. I rmember those jokes from my very first night in the dorm, especially the one about the ATR which would make any male go pale and cross his legs. (That was 40 years ago, :shock: )

ATR ???

Perhaps a PM might be in order.

Off with 'Er Indoors to sample a jar in Horsham with the illustrious Mr Ruck, (or Wuck, as the Chinese call him !)
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

englishangel wrote: I rmember those jokes from my very first night in the dorm, especially the one about the ATR which would make any male go pale and cross his legs. (That was 40 years ago, :shock: )
Why not try us? There's a very nice 'jokes' thread which could do with a few additions.

Go on, you know you want to...... :)
Ba.A / Mid. B 1972 - 1978

Thee's got'n where thee cassn't back'n, hassn't?
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Richard Ruck wrote:
englishangel wrote: I rmember those jokes from my very first night in the dorm, especially the one about the ATR which would make any male go pale and cross his legs. (That was 40 years ago, :shock: )
Why not try us? There's a very nice 'jokes' thread which could do with a few additions.

Go on, you know you want to...... :)
Do you know something I don't ?????
DavebytheSea
Forum Moderator

Post by DavebytheSea »

englishangel wrote:

Ah! I see. A silly mistake.
David Eastburn (Prep B and Mid A 1947-55)
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

DavebytheSea wrote:
englishangel wrote:

Ah! I see. A silly mistake.
... and a rather apt anagram !