New Forum Section - Hertford Memories

Share your memories and stories from the Hertford Christ's Hospital School, which closed in 1985, when the two schools integrated to the Horsham site....

Moderator: Moderators

Alexandra Thrift
Deputy Grecian

Graysons

Post by Alexandra Thrift »

...oops,no sorry "Gravesons".....Yes you WERE close Munch......but I knew there was something awry......

What about the Hertford Bookshop that we used to hang around in? Maybe MaryMc can track that down?

Loved your Dad's slides and have written about them on the CH Photos thread where Julian posted them....please go and look.

Must go to bed.

Warm thoughts to MKM , Liz ,Caroline and all.So weird that all us Sixes lot are lurking here :D

btw Munch....Jean Kierans phoned me this evening and I was very relieved to hear from her !
MKM
Grecian

Re: Graysons

Post by MKM »

Alexandra Thrift wrote:What about the Hertford Bookshop that we used to hang around in? Maybe MaryMc can track that down?
Is this it?
http://www.gillmark.com/

It seems to have changed emphasis, and now mainly does prints. It used to do arty postcards that we liked, but mainly books.

If we wanted a book, but couldn't afford it, then Miss Mercer would buy it and let us have first read.
Mary
CH 1965-1972
MKM
Grecian

Foxes Holes

Post by MKM »

While searching for the bookshop, I saw that there is now a "Foxholes Business Park" between Hertford and Ware. I expect this is the Foxes Holes that we used to go to on our walks.
Mary
CH 1965-1972
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

The Book Shop

Post by Angela Woodford »

MKM wrote:
Alexandra Thrift wrote:What about the Hertford Bookshop that we used to hang around in? Maybe MaryMc can track that down?
Is this it?
http://www.gillmark.com/

It seems to have changed emphasis, and now mainly does prints. It used to do arty postcards that we liked, but mainly books.

If we wanted a book, but couldn't afford it, then Miss Mercer would buy it and let us have first read.
There it is! I loved that bookshop. It was where we bought confirmation cards, too. I recognised the staircase which led to the first floor! Although it looks disconcertingly bright and decorated now - it was appealingly dark and murky in our day...

Thanks, Mary Mc. A terrific memory of Hertford -

Munch
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
Alexandra Thrift
Deputy Grecian

The Bookshop....yes, I think that's it.

Post by Alexandra Thrift »

Thanks Mary for finding the bookshop.It had a different name then though.

Is there still going to be a memorial service for Miss West ?.At one point is was projected tentatively for 16th September......but as it doesn't appear on the CHA events calendar , I presume it has been cancelled.......can anyone inform me?
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Memorial service

Alex, I sent Kerren a pm a week ago asking about 16 September! No news yet -

Visited Jean on Thurs, and we hit the streets of Balham.

love, Munch
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Re: Memorial service

Post by J.R. »

Angela Woodford wrote:Alex, I sent Kerren a pm a week ago asking about 16 September! No news yet -

Visited Jean on Thurs, and we hit the streets of Balham.

love, Munch
Very Daring, Angela !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Mrs C.
Button Grecian

Re: The Bookshop....yes, I think that's it.

Post by Mrs C. »

Alexandra Thrift wrote:Thanks Mary for finding the bookshop.It had a different name then though.

Is there still going to be a memorial service for Miss West ?.At one point is was projected tentatively for 16th September......but as it doesn't appear on the CHA events calendar , I presume it has been cancelled.......can anyone inform me?
http://www.chassociation.org/news/index.php#363
The best way to forget your troubles is to wear tight shoes.
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

A strange memory - ?

Does anyone remember a ritual of shaking blankets at the end of term? It's suddenly come back to me!

Munch
kayinbaja
3rd Former

Post subject: A strange memory - ?

Post by kayinbaja »

I remember the bumps - getting bounced in a blanket on your birthday - number of bumps=years of age.
Probably pretty dangerous, great fun. Some people were harder to bump than others! And I think that blanket shaking at the end of term often degenerated into non-birthday-related bumps.
K
Katharine
Button Grecian

Re: A strange memory - ?

Post by Katharine »

Angela Woodford wrote:Does anyone remember a ritual of shaking blankets at the end of term? It's suddenly come back to me!
Definitely, charging up and down the school field at full pelt with a blanket between two of you. Were the days organised so that there was only one house out at a time - or, perish the thought, was it just us who did it?

What did the other side of the square do? Did they come across to ours or did they use the playground?
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
Vonny
Button Grecian

Post by Vonny »

I don't remember shaking blankets during my time at Hertford.
I do remember getting the bumps on a blanket though. I especally remember my 12th birthday. They always gave you an extra bump for luck and threw me so high on that last one that my leg crashed into the ceiling and I thought I'd broken it - can still remember the pain to this day :lol:
2's 1981-1985 2:12 BaB 1985-1988 BaB 41
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

We definitely shook blankets, up and down the playgoround as you surmised Katharine.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

englishangel wrote:We definitely shook blankets, up and down the playgoround as you surmised Katharine.
Is this another of Josh's and Gemma's Tolkein words ?
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

sounds like it doesn't it?
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"