New Forum Section - Hertford Memories

Share your memories and stories from the Hertford Christ's Hospital School, which closed in 1985, when the two schools integrated to the Horsham site....

Moderator: Moderators

Vonny
Button Grecian

Re: What's Your Number?

Post by Vonny »

Angela Woodford wrote:Amazing to think of finding romance at CH, and therefore finding the holidays long...
Well I only found them long at Horsham - not at Hertford :lol: :wink:
2's 1981-1985 2:12 BaB 1985-1988 BaB 41
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Praise The Lord! Excitement in Chapel -

Post by Angela Woodford »

englishangel wrote:I think that might be a one-off.
The Old Blues Day Chapel Service, Mary! Alex and I were positioned in a front row, and there were a few muffled giggles coming from behind us. I did a lttle half swivel to check the source of the amusement, and could see then that two girls were eyeing up two boys on the other side; who were returning the looks with interest!

It added an extra zing to the service, I must say! The boys were soooo attractive.... the Chapel seating could have been purpose built for this sort of thing. Ideal.

I was also opposite Josh, who fell asleep every five minutes or so.

Munch
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Re: Praise The Lord! Excitement in Chapel -

Post by J.R. »

Angela Woodford wrote:
englishangel wrote:I think that might be a one-off.
The Old Blues Day Chapel Service, Mary! Alex and I were positioned in a front row, and there were a few muffled giggles coming from behind us. I did a lttle half swivel to check the source of the amusement, and could see then that two girls were eyeing up two boys on the other side; who were returning the looks with interest!

It added an extra zing to the service, I must say! The boys were soooo attractive.... the Chapel seating could have been purpose built for this sort of thing. Ideal.

I was also opposite Josh, who fell asleep every five minutes or so.

Munch
.....but then Gemma hadn't arrived on the scene then, Angela !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

DR Circular -

Here's DR cracking down on any iniquities!

19th December 1969

I should be grateful if parents would support those in authority in maintaining the school rules by ensuring that their daughters do not have in their possession during term time or when travelling between home and school

1) aspirin or any similar pill

2) Home clothes (including boots and underwear) except those authorised by the Council on the list provided on admission.

3) Comics and unsuitable literature of any kind.

4) Transistor radios.

5) Make-up, nail varnish and scent.

I should also like to remind parents that

a) when girls go out during term time they must wear school uniform and wear their hair tied back.

b) All money and stamps are supposed to be sent direct to the House Mistress.

D. R. WEST

Amongst all the VISITING RULES I've found there is again and again a persistent ruling -

Girls may travel on local buses on Saturdays and Sundays with their parents, with the exception of the Green Line bus No.715 and 715a.

I wonder what lay at the end of these bus routes?

Munch
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

The 715 used to terminate at Dorking Bus Garage - Thats Why ! :o
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Dorking?

J.R. wrote:The 715 used to terminate at Dorking Bus Garage - Thats Why ! :o
But JR! In those days Dorking was a peaceful rural place. From time to time in the 60s we would go for a picnic there and walk in the countryside. So I'm at a loss why we shouldn't have caught a bus there with our parents.

My own priorities were to get back to S London on a day out as quickly as possible!

So, the forbidden bus route still a mystery!

Munch
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

As far as I recall, the 715 was the long distance (Greenline) bus so you could get really far away!!
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

Post by icomefromalanddownunder »

Katharine wrote:As far as I recall, the 715 was the long distance (Greenline) bus so you could get really far away!!
Yes, indeed, but would it have gone to Dorking? A direct Greenline from Hertford to Dorking seems a little unlikely.

Now, having listened to the Railway Announcer at Tulse Hill for the two years that I spent at St Martin's, I know that the way to Dorking is/was by train via Streatham Hill, Streatham, Streatham Common, ........... Ashtead, Leatherhead and Box Hill :)
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

icomefromalanddownunder wrote:
Katharine wrote:As far as I recall, the 715 was the long distance (Greenline) bus so you could get really far away!!
Yes, indeed, but would it have gone to Dorking? A direct Greenline from Hertford to Dorking seems a little unlikely.
It didn't start in Hertford but further west. I THINK I may have travelled on it on Long Sats my first two years when we lived in Harpenden (naughty, naughty!) I KNOW I went home by bus a couple of times, my parents used to try to get lifts but ... they weren't always succesful. Like Munch, I far preferred going home than staying around Hertford.
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
MKM
Grecian

715 Greenline

Post by MKM »

My memory is that the forbidden buses went to London, and a quick Google confirms this. The reason given was that we risked picking up infections on these buses.

Living in SE London, I rarely went home for the day in my first few years - it took too long by public transport to be worthwhile.

Later on, we were sometimes given a lift by Gillian Osbourne's or Diana Garnham's family. Gill's mother Colleen also used to take me to Liverpool Street Station at the start of term, to save my mother taking a day off work. They were a lovely family, very open and friendly. They did a lot to alleviate my loneliness in the school holidays.
Mary
CH 1965-1972
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Re: DR Circular -

Post by Richard Ruck »

Angela Woodford wrote:I wonder what lay at the end of these bus routes?

Munch
A quick Google reveals the route to have been Hertford to Guildford -

http://www.eplates.info/714s.html

Did they look like this?

Ba.A / Mid. B 1972 - 1978

Thee's got'n where thee cassn't back'n, hassn't?
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Youth Hostelling!

Mary, do you remember a group of us went on a Surrey Youth Hostelling Trip in the holidays?

I can remember arriving at Tanners' Hatch, where your brother was leaning out of an upper window eating a radish! Another Hostel was Holmbury St Mary and there was one more hostel too.

We CH girls meekly did the morning maintenence duties required of us. Just like school, really!

Who else was on that trip? Do you remember?

Munch
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Forbidden bus route

Richard, there's the bus!

Doesn't look like we'd "pick up an infection" on that vehicle. Much more likely on the awful old train to Liverpool Street.

I only travelled by train a couple of times. One time in the V1 form with Jill Wright and Susan Lintott - why I don't know. As soon as we'd left Hertford East, out came what make-up we'd got, modification to uniform was accomplished and hair was loosened.

Munch
MKM
Grecian

Re: DR Circular -

Post by MKM »

Richard Ruck wrote:Did they look like this?
How would I know, we weren't allowed near them! :? :?

(sorry, I couldn't resist that) :oops:
Mary
CH 1965-1972
MKM
Grecian

Re: Youth Hostelling!

Post by MKM »

Angela Woodford wrote:Mary, do you remember a group of us went on a Surrey Youth Hostelling Trip in the holidays?

I can remember arriving at Tanners' Hatch, where your brother was leaning out of an upper window eating a radish! Another Hostel was Holmbury St Mary and there was one more hostel too.

We CH girls meekly did the morning maintenence duties required of us. Just like school, really!

Who else was on that trip? Do you remember?

Munch
I remember Susan Knight, and (I think) Caroline Barrett. I went hostelling on another occasion with Julia (I can't remember her surname - I think she was in your year in sixes) but I don't know if she was on the trip you remember.

Happy days! It's amazing how, although I haven't thought of them for decades, the memories flood back. I'll post again later, but I really ought to go to work now. :(
Mary
CH 1965-1972