RIP Phyllis Riddiford

Share your memories and stories from the Hertford Christ's Hospital School, which closed in 1985, when the two schools integrated to the Horsham site....

Moderator: Moderators

Jo
Button Grecian

RIP Phyllis Riddiford

Post by Jo »

I've just been sent a link to Hertford Choral Society's obituary for Miss Riddiford, who evidently died in October last year.

http://www.choral-society.com/newsletter.htm for anyone else who is interested in reading it. I will condense it, and also search the forum for CH memories, for an obit in the Autumn Old Blue. What a character she was! I'm glad they weren't too coy about acknowledging her partner Nell Munt. I remember being invited to their house in my A level year, and being fed sachertorte for which they had overheard the recipe on a train in Austria many years ago.

I often wonder about the staff I remember from Hertford, and which of them are still around. Sad that there's no reliable way of finding out. I do know some have died: Miss Morrison, Miss Blench, Mrs Betterton, Miss Mercer, Miss Thomson, Miss Marter (Mrs Roxburgh), Miss Wilson, DR, Mr Upton, Miss Cordery. I also know that Miss Tucker, Miss Jukes, Miss Tavener, Brenda Griffith-Williams and Miss Gravett are still around.

But does anyone know about Miss Coles, who was my favourite history teacher, from 1971-74? Or Mr & Mrs Watson? Miss Champion? Nelly Norman and Miss Rutherford? Mr Mulholland? Miss Hann? Mrs Dawson? Rev Walker?
Jo
5.7, 1967-75
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Re: RIP Phyllis Riddiford

Post by Angela Woodford »

Miss Riddiford!

I know I've written about her before and mustn't repeat myself. I really liked her - that splendid voice which boomed appreciation when something met her approval! She was always encouraging and positive. I remember her reaction after she had first endured the Singing Comp. Miss Riddiford thought we were just too wonderful!

The purple-rinsed hair! Her robust personality combined with vigorous kindness.

A nice woman.
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
Vonny
Button Grecian

Post by Vonny »

Jo wrote: Mr & Mrs Watson?
I am sure I heard that M r Watson had died.

I haved wondered about Champo & Miss Hann too :?
2's 1981-1985 2:12 BaB 1985-1988 BaB 41
Kim2s70-77
Grecian

Post by Kim2s70-77 »

That is sad. She was quite a character - always quick to sing "Gluckliche Geburtstag" (sp?) at the drop of a hat! And, oh...as Angela has already mentioned .... the purple-rinsed hair!! I liked Ms Riddiford - especially as she sang Happy Birthday to me every Friday for most of one term - thus delaying, and sometimes postponing, the inevitable vocabulary test! Not many of the old teachers left these days {{sigh}}
fra828
Grecian

Post by fra828 »

RIP Miss Riddiford..... BUT I have mostly bad memories of her, her sudden change of mood, cruel remarks when marking work and she was ONLY encouraging if you were doing well already, she had little patience otherwise. I could write a lot more but it would be disrespectful... Now Mr Watson, I would really care about what happened to him as he possessed a rare quality among Hertford staff, geniune compassion.
Vonny
Button Grecian

Post by Vonny »

fra828 wrote:Now Mr Watson,..................he possessed a rare quality among Hertford staff, geniune compassion.
I was petrified of the man! I can still remember now how much I dreaded his lessons.
2's 1981-1985 2:12 BaB 1985-1988 BaB 41
Angela Pratt 56-63
Deputy Grecian

Post by Angela Pratt 56-63 »

It does show, doesn't it that different peole respond to each other in different ways, and/ or remember different aspects of peoples' characters and experiences. On a memories sites such as this, we are all entitled to express our own feelings of happenings and people of the past, as long as when we read each others' comments, we note them as THEIR comments and opinions not universal experiences! I love reading the variations as well as the common memories.
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

I cannot remember Miss Riddiford AT ALL. Mr Watson I do remember though he never taught me but as one of only two male teachers I suppose I would remember.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
Kim2s70-77
Grecian

Post by Kim2s70-77 »

fra828 wrote:RIP Miss Riddiford..... BUT I have mostly bad memories of her, her sudden change of mood, cruel remarks when marking work and she was ONLY encouraging if you were doing well already, she had little patience otherwise. I could write a lot more but it would be disrespectful... Now Mr Watson, I would really care about what happened to him as he possessed a rare quality among Hertford staff, geniune compassion.

I have to thank Mr Watson for the Lancashire French accent I developed after classes with him!! His wife also came in for 'French conversation', around the time of "O" levels. Lancashire French is really quite unique!!
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

I think Miss Taverner is RIP
Kerren Simmonds
5's and 2's Hertford, 1957-1966
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

it must be recently because she was still playing the organ at Winchelsea in December.

http://www.ryeandbattleobserver.co.uk/n ... _1_1810406

Abstract

The Winchelsea Singers hold their Annual Carol Concert, in aid of St Michael’s Hospice, on Saturday, December 11, 7pm in St Thomas’ Church.

Duncan Reid is the Music Director, Ivora Rees will be playing the piano and Jean Taverner, the organ.

There will be seasonal refreshments and entrance is £8 by programme at the door.
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

Apologies if I have shuffled Miss Taverner off prematurely. I thought however that a friend of mine had regretted being unable to get to her funeral. Whoops! I will check it out.
Kerren Simmonds
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

She may of course have died since then, it was 4 months ago and she must be approaching 80.
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

I've been flipping through the internet and although there are current references to performances by the Winchelsea Singers, their Musical Director is not named. So it could still be Jean, or it couldn't! My memory of Sue's (Evans) regret that she couldn't attend the/a funeral goes back further than last December, however! I will call her - she will know for sure.
Kerren Simmonds
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

http://www.winchelsea.net/community/societies.htm

How up-to-date this is I don't know