United Girls Schools Social Settlement

Share your memories and stories from the Hertford Christ's Hospital School, which closed in 1985, when the two schools integrated to the Horsham site....

Moderator: Moderators

midget
Button Grecian

United Girls Schools Social Settlement

Post by midget »

For some reason I remembered the UGSSS, to which a large part of the proceeds from the Christmas Sale of Work was given. When I googled it a found a number of hits, but all American. I can't imagine that such an organisation still exists (far too patronising) so can any of you younger ladies tell me what happened to it?
At Christmas, those VI formers living in London were expected to volunteer to spend a day in Peckham, in uniform, delivering Chrismas parcels to members of what they probably called the Darby and Joan club. Doraine and I went there together, and spent an exhausting day staggering round Peckham. I will never forget being handed one parcel, told the address, and "If he is out, under no circumstances leave it with his daughter, or the poor old devil won't see any of it".
We had some say in the division of the Sale money, but I remember Miss King getting up the noses of a lot of girls by insisting on a large sum for the Wood Green Animal Shelter.
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.
Katharine
Button Grecian

Re: United Girls Schools Social Settlement

Post by Katharine »

I certainly remember the name Maggie, but I don't remember the London girls being asked to deliver parcels. (I didn't live in London but several of my year in 6s did, so I think I would have heard about it, if they had been asked.) My college at Oxford had something similar as well.
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
anniexf
Button Grecian

Post by anniexf »

In my last term (Autumn 1959) I volunteered for Christmas duty at the Peckham Settlement as I lived in Lewisham. The day was spent taking hot meals to people in need. We were poor enough, but I'd never seen anything like the real destitution I encountered that day. I went home in a state of shock.
There are still Settlements - we have at least one in Birmingham, plus several of their charity shops. I believe they're C of E - based.
Pixie
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Pixie »

I was a London girl and I don'r remember this happening in my time.
3.8 65-72
anniexf
Button Grecian

Post by anniexf »

The Peckham Settlement is still going:

http://www.guidestar.org.uk/gs_summary. ... reg=215925
midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

Thanks Anniexf
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.