YELLOWS AND PINKS

Share your memories and stories from the Hertford Christ's Hospital School, which closed in 1985, when the two schools integrated to the Horsham site....

Moderator: Moderators

Katharine
Button Grecian

Re: YELLOWS AND PINKS

Post by Katharine »

Vests winter and summer in my day - well officially! I think very few were actually worn during the summer!
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

The winter vests were made of wool, and by heck did they itch
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.
mvgrogan
Deputy Grecian

Post by mvgrogan »

Foureyes wrote:NEW THOUGHT
In the current girls' dress at Horsham, the junior girls (2nd Form-Little Erasmus (essentially ages 11-14)) wear yellow socks on all occasions, while senior girls (Upper Fourth to Grecians (i.e., 14-plus) wear either grey stockings or grey tights, except on special occasions when yellow socks form part of their "ceremonials".

Can anyone explain why, please? My understanding, but it is purely anecdotal, is that immediately following the move to Horsham all the girls involved were delighted to adopt full Housie uniform but for some reason they all took exception to the yellow stockings and the current position was reached as a compromise. As I say, this is anecdotal - can anyone give the proper story, please, including why yellow should be such a "no-no"?

David :shock:
I do remember that the girls fought to get the housie coats for winter - we were never intended to have them originally. I was a dep and I can't imagine even considering the yellow socks or yellow stockings for that matter! I have no idea what any official decision was. As far as I remember, we adopted the coats but the rest of the uniform remained as planned (other than the flamable lacy jabots...). Yellow socks for juniors were always the plan. The white shirts and dark pleated skirts were also the original plan. We had lightweight fitted jackets with a yellow lining - not sure if we were intended to have blazers...

There was a brief mention of a yellow hat for girls but that notion was squashed by general opinion as soon as it was mentioned!! I vaguely remember a sort of fashion show when several girls were dressed up in the new uniform sometime during the final summer term at Hertford. I think they put a hat on a red-headed girl (?Jo Hills - Katherine might know if Jo's not around) and of course that was the end of that idea!!! :lol:
Maria Vatanen nee Grogan 6's (6:12) 81-85 BaB (BaB48) 85-87
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

mvgrogan wrote: There was a brief mention of a yellow hat for girls but that notion was squashed by general opinion as soon as it was mentioned!! I vaguely remember a sort of fashion show when several girls were dressed up in the new uniform sometime during the final summer term at Hertford. I think they put a hat on a red-headed girl (?Jo Hills - Katherine might know if Jo's not around) and of course that was the end of that idea!!! :lol:
Maria, I've heard that story told about Jo. For anyone who did not meet my niece in her school days, she could probably rival Josh!
Last edited by Katharine on Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
Fjgrogan
Button Grecian

Post by Fjgrogan »

Ah - now there is a challenge! Somewhere I have a photo of that fashion parade, including Jo Hills .......... or am I perhaps thinking of another occasion, because I seem to remember someone in a 'Susannah' costume. I shall have to get the box of photographs out and investigate!
Frances Grogan (Haley) 6's 1956 - 62

'A clean house is a sign of a broken computer.'
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

As usual --- a late arrival !

See my Post under "Mufti" on General -- CH "
Dealing with "Uniform v. Civvies"

I am looking forward to "Hertford" replies !
Foureyes
Grecian

Post by Foureyes »

fjgrogan writes:
"I shall have to get the box of photographs out and investigate!"
Please don't forget that I am looking for good quality pictures to go with my treatise of C.H. girls' dress. I am still looking for pictorial examples of:
  • Coatfrock. Yellow frock. Cherry Red outfit. Also anybluecoat outfit that was NOT adopted (just for laughs)
Please let me know if your box reveals any and let me know.
:shock:
mvgrogan
Deputy Grecian

Post by mvgrogan »

Foureyes wrote:fjgrogan writes:
Please don't forget that I am looking for good quality pictures to go with my treatise of C.H. girls' dress. I am still looking for pictorial examples of:
  • Coatfrock. Yellow frock. Cherry Red outfit. Also anybluecoat outfit that was NOT adopted (just for laughs)
My previous pictures under "Hertford Uniforms" includes the Wych sisters in their Cherry Reds. Not old enough :D for the coatfrock or yellow frock and I'm pretty sure I don't have any from the "fashion show" I mentioned above.
Maria Vatanen nee Grogan 6's (6:12) 81-85 BaB (BaB48) 85-87
Kim2s70-77
Grecian

Post by Kim2s70-77 »

The only photo I have of the cherry red blazers is in black and white!!

http://s891.photobucket.com/albums/ac11 ... 411740.jpg

Weren't they referred to as "Monkey Jackets", or did I imagine that??
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Kim2s70-77 wrote:The only photo I have of the cherry red blazers is in black and white!!

http://s891.photobucket.com/albums/ac11 ... 411740.jpg

Weren't they referred to as "Monkey Jackets", or did I imagine that??

Reminds me of that famous clanger on a snooker commentary.

"......... and for those of you watching in black and white, the green is just behind the pink !!"
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Kim2s70-77
Grecian

Post by Kim2s70-77 »

:offtopic:

Or "The batsman's Holding; the bowler's Willey"!!!!

Or (while commentating the Regatta) " they're just coming round the bend. I can't see who's in the lead. It's either Oxford or Cambridge!"

Famous gaffes while commentating.............

:backtotopic:
icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

Post by icomefromalanddownunder »

Foureyes wrote:fjgrogan writes:

Finally found it :) Not sure what you class as good quality, but you might like to check out Englishangel's photos in the Charge of the Ooooh and Aaah Brigade, in the Hertford Memories thread. There is also one of an unmodelled chapel cap :wink:

I, too, took photographs of the exhibit, and can pull them off my hard drive at home.
xx
Foureyes
Grecian

Post by Foureyes »

icomefrometc says:
you might like to check out Englishangel's photos in the Charge of the Ooooh and Aaah Brigade, in the Hertford Memories thread.
I have looked for this and can't find what you are referringt to. Please clarify.
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

viewtopic.php?t=2224

There are a couple of nice ones here of our blazers and panamas, worn in summer before the cherry-reds.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

Post by icomefromalanddownunder »

englishangel wrote:viewtopic.php?t=2224

There are a couple of nice ones here of our blazers and panamas, worn in summer before the cherry-reds.

No, not the photographs I meant: I had already alerted to those.

Hang on...........................

Hertford Memories Page 2

Charge of the Ooooooh and Aaaaaaaah Brigade (begun April 5 2008)

Post 3.

'Fraid I can't do a fancy e-link :oops:

xx