YELLOWS AND PINKS

Share your memories and stories from the Hertford Christ's Hospital School, which closed in 1985, when the two schools integrated to the Horsham site....

Moderator: Moderators

Jo
Button Grecian

Re: YELLOWS AND PINKS

Post by Jo »

Angela Woodford wrote:
icomefromalanddownunder wrote:I think that I had a red blazer, in which case they were introduced before 1971, as I left at the end of summer term 1970.
The girl who might be able to confirm this is Jo, who I think was assimilated in 1970 -Jo? - and I will cautiously post a HOGOF message. I say "cautious" because I remember the cherry red has some particularly unappealing memory for her? Still in the interests of historical research?
Sorry for the delay in responding (and thanks for the prompt on Facebook, Angela!) - still have problems accessing the forum via broadband so this is a periodic visit on 3G.

I can't definitely remember when the cherry reds were introduced but just working it out from other memories - they were the combined work of DR and Miss Richards. As the latter left in 1971 at the latest, it must have been before then.

I was confirmed in either 1969 or 1970 (will go and check later when I can be bothered to get out of the armchair :D ) and one of the reasons for my unhappy memories of the cherry reds was a tart and unpleasant encounter with Dickie on the way out of Sunday morning early communion. I was still in a navy blazer because I'd been told a cherry red would have to be ordered specially for me. Dickie pounced on me and demanded to know why I was still in navy, and then seemed to blame me for the fact that the cherry red hadn't arrived yet. I suspect the ordering had been overlooked because I was summoned for a re-measuring the following week and it duly arrived some time later. Even at that age I thought it odd that someone who professed to be a committed Christian, and who had just emerged from Communion, could be so gratuitously spiteful and nasty, with such evident relish.

So anyway - rant over :D - that would make it around 1970 - I'm not sure I can get it more accurate than that. I started at Hertford in 1967 and we definitely still wore our navy blazers on Sundays for a couple of years after that.
Jo
5.7, 1967-75
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Post by Angela Woodford »

Sorry to prompt that awful memory Jo. Miserable woman!

However, I just thought you'd be able to remember the arrival of the cherry reds.

Bonus though - because they were a completely different and alien uniform introduction - everybody had a new one! :)
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
chaosriddenyears
Deputy Grecian

Post by chaosriddenyears »

I arrived 1970 and don't remember anything but tunics and cherry reds on Sundays and those black shoes with the incongruous fringe on the front. In winter the scratchy, hairy blue coats.