Hertford Uniforms

Share your memories and stories from the Hertford Christ's Hospital School, which closed in 1985, when the two schools integrated to the Horsham site....

Moderator: Moderators

englishangel
Forum Moderator

Re: Hertford Uniforms

Post by englishangel »

Like this one. the one you can just see is a velour (for Sundays in the winter)

"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
Foureyes
Grecian

Post by Foureyes »

katherine says:
David - please a chapel cap, never called a hat in my time!
David replies: Fifty percent right, anyway! An optimum outcome, in my experience.

:shock: :lol:
chaosriddenyears
Deputy Grecian

Post by chaosriddenyears »

Yep, that's the one I've got, the chapel cap. Thanks for the picture Mary! I have to say that I woke up giggling this morning because this chapel cap actually appeared in my dreams last night!
fra828
Grecian

Post by fra828 »

It was bad enough only having clean underwear twice (or was it 3 times?) a week, but how often did our uniform go to the laundry? We must have had 2 sets unless we wore the grey tunics, jumpers etc the whole term without washing. :shock: Surely not??! :?
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

fra828 wrote:It was bad enough only having clean underwear twice (or was it 3 times?) a week, but how often did our uniform go to the laundry? We must have had 2 sets unless we wore the grey tunics, jumpers etc the whole term without washing. :shock: Surely not??! :?
Yes we did, they had to be dry cleaned. And clean underwear/shirt was twice a week, Tuesday and Friday. I think we only had one set of the stretchy sports things too, they must have moved on their own by the end of the summer term.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
gma
Grecian

Post by gma »

I do remember trying on all the hats that were no longer worn as part of the uniform, up on the second floor, I recall two sets of reflective mirrors with cupboards above and Amanda Mc caught me up there once and had me stand on the landing for an hour bcause I hadn't moved up to the cubies yet!!
Gerrie M-A (GMA) - 2:34 71-75

"If you cannot have what you want, then learn to want what you have"
Anon or The Guru or someone worthy like that.
Wasn't DR.
Definitely not.
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Post by Angela Woodford »

Amanda McIlwain - you must have been very strict! :?

The mirrors reflected to infinity! The excitement of experimenting with make-up in those mirrors!

And finally, taking a last look at myself on Leaving Day July 1971, as I stood dressed in one of my mother's 1953 maternity dresses - what else would fit me? (Nowadays I would say proudly "Vintage!") I attempted to improve things with a pair of silver rimmed sunglasses. I considered that I'd never see Upper Dorm and the cubies again, and felt a strange pang of sadness. All the times we'd messed about with our hair and peered anxiously at our reflections well after lights-out! And now to be going out into the real world - we'd never have to hide our make-up again...

Oh! :cry: ! Oh! :oops:
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
michael scuffil
Button Grecian

Post by michael scuffil »

Angela Woodford wrote:Amanda McIlwain - you must have been very strict! :?

The mirrors reflected to infinity! The excitement of experimenting with make-up in those mirrors!

And finally, taking a last look at myself on Leaving Day July 1971, as I stood dressed in one of my mother's 1953 maternity dresses - what else would fit me? (Nowadays I would say proudly "Vintage!") I attempted to improve things with a pair of silver rimmed sunglasses. I considered that I'd never see Upper Dorm and the cubies again, and felt a strange pang of sadness. All the times we'd messed about with our hair and peered anxiously at our reflections well after lights-out! And now to be going out into the real world - we'd never have to hide our make-up again...

Oh! :cry: ! Oh! :oops:
And I remember thinking on my last day: Never in my life will I wear anything quite so fetching as a Grecian's coat again! (True, as it turns out. Not even the Cambridge PhD outfit, complete with bonnet and scarlet, is quite so good, and I only ever had one occasion to put that on.)
Th.B. 27 1955-63