Feet!

Share your memories and stories from the Hertford Christ's Hospital School, which closed in 1985, when the two schools integrated to the Horsham site....

Moderator: Moderators

midget
Button Grecian

Re: Feet!

Post by midget »

Although I was i/c shoes in 3s for a term (?ayear) I have absolutely no memory of where Mr Stent (?) was housed. The cloisters was the space between the entrance to the dining hall and the Music Room, Which was behind the school hall stage. The Music Room was where Aural training for juniors and Music Appreciation for VI form were held. Also Miss?? gave music lessons (piano and cello) there.
The covered way betwedn the science and school blocks was called just that, and in between the 2 blocks were the pond, swings and seesaw. The music cells were behind the science block.
In those days the Geography room was on the ground floor of the school block.
In the science block were Groun floor left : laundry school, also the flat normally used by Housecraft VI, and during the war by Miss Gamble.
Ground floor right were the 2 Physics labs
First floor left Cookery school
First floor Right 2 Chemistry labs
Second floor left Needlework room(s)
Second floor right Biology labs (2)
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

the science block didn't change much except the geography room took over from the laundry room, and the history room was at the back of the left-hand side of the second floor, parallel to the entrance to needlework. Science?
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
anniexf
Button Grecian

Post by anniexf »

I used to wonder how that appalling Miss Page ever made it up there to the History Room - she was almost spherical, and if rumours are true, not entirely stable on her legs all the time. :wink:
midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

What a relief that someone else thought that Fanny Page was appalling! We had to drop a subject in UV, and there was never any doubt that I would drop History. I think I've learned more history since leaving than ever I did with that terrifying woman.
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.
anniexf
Button Grecian

Post by anniexf »

Maggie, she seemed to delight in humiliating me, and my reports were awful - very sarcastic. She had definite favourites too. I always found her lessons uninspiring to put it mildly. Just before O Levels I plucked up the courage to see DR to ask if I need take History but she said I should give it a try. I passed! But no thanks to that ghastly woman. Oddly, as soon as I read "Lord of the Rings" I recognised her - Shelob, the great fat poisonous spider in a dark & terrifying lair!
My knowledge of history, like yours, improved dramatically later on & I really enjoy it these days, especially since I began researching my family.