Hertford teacher details from BMD indexes

Share your memories and stories from the Hertford Christ's Hospital School, which closed in 1985, when the two schools integrated to the Horsham site....

Moderator: Moderators

anniexf
Button Grecian

Re: Hertford teacher details from BMD indexes

Post by anniexf »

midget wrote:Does anyone know how long Miss Wootton (chemistry) stayed at Hertford? She started there my last year, September 1951.Her first name was Lavinia.
I believe she left around 1957, because for my final year doing chemistry (57/58) we had a Canadian, Miss Vamplew. I remember her voice quite well!
icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

Post by icomefromalanddownunder »

midget wrote:Does anyone know how long Miss Wootton (chemistry) stayed at Hertford? She started there my last year, September 1951.Her first name was Lavinia.
I shall have to see if she appears in our family tree: Wootton being a family name, and remembered/maintained because the Wootton coat-of arms (painted onto a very tatty piece of leather) was passed down to the 'Wootton' in each generation. Hence my grandfather was named Sydney Wootton Tansell.

However, my Aunt, who is neither the eldest child nor named Wootton, has hijacked the thing. Not sure whether the current rightful possessor has considered suing the old bat :roll:
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

sejintenej wrote:
Mid A 15 wrote:
sejintenej wrote:
Look up the IGI (international geneological index prepared by the Mormons. It comes on CDs which you can see free of charge at
- some public libraries
- Family History departments of most if not all Mormon Temples.

The IGI is compiled from any sources that the Mormons can get hold of as worldwide as possible and covers baptisms (not usually births), marriages, funerals and the like.
The IGI can be accessed from Family Search which also has other resources which might prove useful.

http://www.familysearch.org/eng/default.asp
:D Look at the heading top right; that site is the Mormons by their correct name. My point was that face to face they might be able to help even more or suggest other sources.
Incidentally I looked up two specific deaths (1951 +/-2 years) in N Ireland and 1960 (+/- 2 years) in London, UK - neither appeared.

I was aware of that and your point of speaking to them is a good one. I thought an internet link may be useful too though if people were unaware.

The IGI stops at about 1875 (with a few exceptions) which is the main reason you were unable to locate the deaths. As Frances points out not everything is on it even prior to 1875 however it is worth a look and you could get lucky.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
Fjgrogan
Button Grecian

Post by Fjgrogan »

The Wootton coat of arms; I am aware that my knowledge of heraldry is sketchy, although Mercer did once give us a short course in the absolute basics. It is one of those things which I keep meaning to study in depth. However, from what I remember a coat of arms belongs to a particular person and is changed slightly as it passes down each generation. So it is not true to say that there is a specific coat of arms belonging to any particular surname, although there are firms making good money out of selling them to gullible family historians. Can anyone recommend where to start studying the subject? It would theoretically be possible to pinpoint the real owner of the original coat of arms, which could be a fascinating study. Sadly I am not aware that our family ever aspired to such giddy heights - lots of shoemakers, the odd publican and half the taxi drivers in South London in the last century. The only interesting possibility is that we are said to be descended from Robert Walpole - sadly not the PM, but a Norwich shoemaker, but that particular branch is still a century later than 'the' Robert Walpole, so who knows? Sadly again, IGI missing in that area. I could go on indefinitely ................
Frances Grogan (Haley) 6's 1956 - 62

'A clean house is a sign of a broken computer.'
mvgrogan
Deputy Grecian

Post by mvgrogan »

no comment :lol:
Maria Vatanen nee Grogan 6's (6:12) 81-85 BaB (BaB48) 85-87
Fjgrogan
Button Grecian

Post by Fjgrogan »

They're your ancestors too! Get on with your packing!
Frances Grogan (Haley) 6's 1956 - 62

'A clean house is a sign of a broken computer.'