Small World ( again)

Share your memories and stories from the Hertford Christ's Hospital School, which closed in 1985, when the two schools integrated to the Horsham site....

Moderator: Moderators

AKAP
Grecian

Small World ( again)

Post by AKAP »

Whilst at our carol concert this afternoon I had a chat to Phillipa Barr who lives round the corner from me.
She tells me that she was at CH from 1950-1956. Just wondered if there is anyone on the forum who remembers her?
anniexf
Button Grecian

Re: Small World ( again)

Post by anniexf »

I remember her! She was one of the mighty Mons when I started in 1955. I'm sure I have a photo somewhere of a group of Mons with DR and HRHs the Duke & Duchess of Gloucester, & Philippa among them. Was she 3s?
anniexf
Button Grecian

Post by anniexf »

Further to above: I've just found the photo! Phillipa's in the front row, 2nd. in from the right, between Sylvia Tee (8s Mon.) and Christine Allford. The other 8s Mon. was Ann Maybrey who was a brilliant mathematician & went on to Oxford or Cambridge.
What did Phillipa do after CH?
AKAP
Grecian

Post by AKAP »

I have only really met Phillipa 3 or 4 times to talk to. Today was the first occassion that CH came up. Phillipa was trying to serve tea so we couldn't talk for long but have promised to sit down and discuss CH on another ocassion.
The following link gives a photo of Phillipa as she is about to retire as one of our cub leaders.
http://www.stocksfield.org/pdf/ne43news33.pdf
page 2 (incidently I can be seen in the "Stocksfield players" photo (just) with hat and beard).
anniexf
Button Grecian

Post by anniexf »

Yes, I recognised her at once! Typical OB, still giving service in her later years - that's one aspect of CH most of us absorbed, I think. Is Stocksfield anywhere near NE2 ( Jesmond)? I have an OB friend there who despite coping with her husband's Alzheimer's is still active in the Hymn Society and her church.Her older sister was Head Girl at Hertford the year before I started. When Philippa was a Mon., the Head Girl was Monica Vincent.
As you said, a small world!
midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

The name Phillippa Barr rings a bell, I'm pretty sure she came into 3s a couple of years before I left.
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.
Fjgrogan
Button Grecian

Post by Fjgrogan »

Philippa was National Therapy Advisor to the Muscular Dystrophy Campaign and wrote a book 'The Adaptations Handbbok'. she was in 3's 1950 -1956 and was a school governor. I don't actually remember her, but I remember seeing her mentioned when the book was published, simply because a good friend of mine had just been diagnosed with MD.
Frances Grogan (Haley) 6's 1956 - 62

'A clean house is a sign of a broken computer.'
AKAP
Grecian

Post by AKAP »

anniexf wrote:Yes, I recognised her at once! Typical OB, still giving service in her later years - that's one aspect of CH most of us absorbed, I think. Is Stocksfield anywhere near NE2 ( Jesmond)? I have an OB friend there who despite coping with her husband's Alzheimer's is still active in the Hymn Society and her church.Her older sister was Head Girl at Hertford the year before I started. When Philippa was a Mon., the Head Girl was Monica Vincent.
As you said, a small world!

Jesmond is about 12 miles down the road, if you wish, I will pass this information on to Phillipa.
anniexf
Button Grecian

Post by anniexf »

Thanks Andrew; I will email my friend & send you a PM asap.

By the way - is the beard your own, or a theatrical one? :?
AKAP
Grecian

Post by AKAP »

The beards my own, I've had it for most of the past 36 years (since leaving school).
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

Philippa's son has done very well for himself. Sunday Times Rich List....
And she was very eminent in her field. I believe she achieved some national Award or other form of recognition?
Kerren Simmonds
5's and 2's Hertford, 1957-1966
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Post by Angela Woodford »

Oh dear. I'm having a soppy sigh over this story and couldn't think where else to put it... in a moment of shameful weakness I was reading the Daily Mail sex advice column! :oops:

Sorry, but -

"I heard a sweet story this week from a Cambridge cab driver. He had picked up an elderly gentleman who was engaged to a Polish émigré during the war. The gent told the cabbie that when he was posted overseas the couple lost contact and he ended up marrying another woman.

This year, following his wife’s death, he was standing at the prescriptions counter in Boots when he turned and looked at the woman standing next to him and immediately knew (though more than 50 years had passed) that she was his long-lost Polish sweetheart, now widowed.

A week later, the cabbie picked up the same man from a house in the centre of town; he was resting on a Zimmer frame and an elegant elderly woman in a lacy nightgown was waving him goodbye."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/artic ... ice-column :oops:
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

Angela Woodford wrote:Oh dear. I'm having a soppy sigh over this story and couldn't think where else to put it... in a moment of shameful weakness I was reading the Daily Mail sex advice column! :oops:

:oops:
Where else would young people get sensible advice? They are not born with a manual of life so how could they know; experiment often has unpleasant side effects on those involved. I suspect that most of us have enough experience but there are many who don't so no" :oops " and shame if you please.
( I do have a girlish giggle at some of the stories)
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!