Sue Bowles

Share your memories and stories from the Hertford Christ's Hospital School, which closed in 1985, when the two schools integrated to the Horsham site....

Moderator: Moderators

MaryB
GE (Great Erasmus)

Re: Sue Bowles

Post by MaryB »

Angela Woodford wrote:
I'd feel difficulty called Susan Parkin "Sue". It just wouldn't... be appropriate!

I was called Munch, I suppose, because I was the school fatty, never to be taken seriously, always a "fun" personality, and was quickly given a comedy name.

I notice it on the Forum too. If I get annoyed over something (i e sejintenej response when I felt exasperated over NEILL's constant gender jokes :roll:) it's somehow not OK. I've got to stay Munch, happy and funny.

Once given a nickname...
I saw her (Parkin) about 5 years ago, when my son and I went to York to have a look round the university (where her husband is Professor of Economics and Director of the Centre for Criminal Justice Economics and Psychology). She was working for OFSTED as an Early Years inspector. I'd seen her a few times over the years and it is difficult to call her Sue - but necessary I think. I'm pleased to say that I seem to have lost my nickname, which I only had for a few years and which was never pervasive in the way Munch and Parkin were. Did I manage Angela at all when I saw you in the spring? I don't think so! Gillian Poland in my year in 3s was always called Pogey.... why?
Mary Bowden (Gaskell)
5.10, 3.6: 64-71
su523
2nd Former

Post by su523 »

MaryB wrote:
englishangel wrote:Perhaps she was young for her year then.
The cut off seemed to be round about Christmas, not September, but quite a few people were even younger - in our year I know Trish Buddle was the youngest with a birthday in early May, but Eileen Downing wasn't much older than Trish. My birthday is mid august and until I went to Hertford I was always the youngest in my class - there I was about the middle.
In our year, I was quite young - birthday 24 March in the following year (ie if most people were 14 during one academic year, I would be 14 in March of the following academic year) - but I think Judith Staines was the youngest, with an August birthday, ie almost 2 years younger than the oldest September birthday girl.

Su
5s 1967-73
Jo
Button Grecian

Post by Jo »

su523 wrote:In our year, I was quite young - birthday 24 March in the following year (ie if most people were 14 during one academic year, I would be 14 in March of the following academic year) - but I think Judith Staines was the youngest, with an August birthday, ie almost 2 years younger than the oldest September birthday girl.

Su
5s 1967-73
I always thought it was quite funny that we started off in the same year, Su, and ended up two years apart. I was very young when I started - my birthday was May of the year after the rest of the class so I was 18 months younger than some of my classmates. I seem to remember that at the end of the first term you were moved up into the second (LIV) form so were a year above me. A couple of years later I repeated the second form so ended up in my right year, two years below you.
Jo
5.7, 1967-75