"ALL GIRLS TOGETHER"

Share your memories and stories from the Hertford Christ's Hospital School, which closed in 1985, when the two schools integrated to the Horsham site....

Moderator: Moderators

anniexf
Button Grecian

"ALL GIRLS TOGETHER"

Post by anniexf »

I've a copy of this novel - actually it's more like a thinly disguised autobiography - written by the late Dr. Paula Neuss. She was in 2s, a contemporary of mine. Frighteningly intelligent
& articulate but a friendly girl. She wrote amazing poetry. I recognised Mrs. Winston(e?) in the novel, as well as DR, and dear Miss Cleobury who was so kind. Does anyone else remember her? I believe she married & had 3 children, but in later life got Alzheimer's. A rotten twist of fate.
Katharine
Button Grecian

Re: "ALL GIRLS TOGETHER"

Post by Katharine »

I remember the name, but didn't join the school until 1959, so Paula was a 'goddess' on the other side of the square.

Welcome to the forum.
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
Fjgrogan
Button Grecian

Post by Fjgrogan »

Yes, I remember Paula and I did read her book some years ago, from the library whence it has long since disappeared; pity, I would like to read it again. I remember it as somewhat odd, even obsessive, but definitely autobiographical in its detail. I also remember Miss Audrey Cleobury, later Mrs Sutherland. Her father was Rector of Hertingfordbury. I have recently turned out of the loft a box containing, amongst other CH memorabilia, some old copies of Old Girls' magazines. The September 1988 edition has an obituary for Miss Cleobury written by Paula. I repeat here the final paragraph of that obituary 'I often thought of Audrey, intending to call in again one day, and knew nothing of the cruel illness - Alzheimer's disease - which began to afflict her not very long after I visited her in Norwich. I am privileged to have known her only in her excellence, when she was well and happy. She had the support of a loving family; I wish I had been available to help them. Audrey had lived a good, true life, and least deserved such an evil sickness and death. The poignant thing about that is that Paula herself died of Alzheimer's.
Frances Grogan (Haley) 6's 1956 - 62

'A clean house is a sign of a broken computer.'
anniexf
Button Grecian

Post by anniexf »

Are you certain about the cause of Paula's death? I seem to remember an obit. in the Independent (c. 1989?) that mentioned her "ruinous depression". It struck a chord with me as I'm a lifelong (well, since 1959 at least) sufferer too.
Thanks for your welcome to this forum. I doubt if there will be many more antiques like me here!
Fjgrogan
Button Grecian

Post by Fjgrogan »

'Antiques' indeed - well there is me for a start. You appear to have been about a year ahead of me, so I am sandwiched between you and Katharine. I recognise your name but cannot for the life of me put a face to it! I will check up on Paula's death - I am probably wrong, but I suspect I would have remembered the depression thing because I too have had a problem with that for years - there must have been something in the water of Hertford in those days! More likely it was the brutal regime!

anniexf
Button Grecian

Post by anniexf »

I heard, in later years, that Miss Shackleton (English) referred to Hertford as a "Stalag"! I'm grateful to the school for only a few things - being taught how to cook and sew, which have served me well, and a love of cricket. I listen to TMS whenever it's on, radios tuned in all round the house! I was in the cricket team, but wasn't mentioned in the school mag. for 1959 as having been awarded my colours ( a badge you had to pay for & sew onto your "best" blazer). Presumably this airbrushing from the records was a typical piece of DR spite, as in the Christmas hols of 1959-60 I told my parents I couldn't bear the thought of going back to CH. I was allowed to receive a bible as my departure, it was decided, should be treated as "on the grounds of ill health" - and I certainly had been ill though not in a way DR would recognise. She gave my parents the impression that my condition was merely weakness of character. Her last piece of petty malice was to mis-spell my surname on the presentation label in the bible!
I never felt "good enough" at that school. I was far happier, and actually got a better education, when I went on to a local grammar school. I met Paula once, after that, at an LCC "do" for recipients of grants. I'd gone to Exeter, she to - I think - LMH, Oxford. I offered her a cigarette! She said she didn't smoke, but would keep me company; then mentioned that she'd been ill for a while & had home tutoring.
Fjgrogan
Button Grecian

Post by Fjgrogan »

Another snippet from Miss Cleobury's obituary ........ In my own life she has played a major role. I am now Reader in Early English Literature at Birkbeck College, London University, and a published novelist. I could not have become either of these without her help, firstly in introducing me to the pleasure of Chaucer and writing poetry and fiction, and then by helping me, when I became ill and left school without doing my A levels, to get back to work and to go on and try for Oxford.'

Fjgrogan
Button Grecian

Post by Fjgrogan »

I should have turned the page after reading that obituary, because I now see that over the page there is a bracketed comment 'CHOGA members will be distressed to learn of the death of Dr Paula Neuss on 31st August 1988. No details are known, other than that donations are invited to MIND. There follows another obituary of Miss Cleobury written by Mrs Shackleton.

anniexf
Button Grecian

Post by anniexf »

Such a tragedy; and I believe she left a young daughter, about 11 years old at the time. Someone I worked with in the 70s was doing a part-time English degree at Birkbeck, & studied Chaucer with Paula. I lent this woman my "Complete Works" from uni.days, a hefty tome which she lugged back & forth to London every week. She got her degree!
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

anniexf wrote:I've a copy of this novel - actually it's more like a thinly disguised autobiography - written by the late Dr. Paula Neuss. She was in 2s, a contemporary of mine. Frighteningly intelligent
& articulate but a friendly girl. She wrote amazing poetry. I recognised Mrs. Winston(e?) in the novel, as well as DR, and dear Miss Cleobury who was so kind. Does anyone else remember her? I believe she married & had 3 children, but in later life got Alzheimer's. A rotten twist of fate.
There was a Geoff Neuss who posted on this forum a while back. I believe that he was a contemporary of John Hopgood, Editor of The Old Blue, who is a regular poster.

Could he (Geoff) be a relative of your friend Paula?
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
anniexf
Button Grecian

Post by anniexf »

I think there was a brother mentioned in Paula's novel; certainly Neuss is an uncommon surname, & to have 2 at CH at roughly the same time could be seen as statistically unlikely, but that's pure speculation on my part. Should Geoff Neuss pop up again he might shed light on this - or maybe not. I do remember Paula getting quite shirty when her surname was mispronounced: "Newss" was a common error!
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

Certainly Geoff Neuss was/is Paula's brother.
And I also believe that it was not Alzheimers which took her life, too young. I remember it being a very sad time, when I learned of her death. I am not so sure that it was not suicide.
I also read the book - when it was published. A contemporary of mine found it in her local library. I too would be very interested to read it again.
Last edited by kerrensimmonds on Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kerren Simmonds
5's and 2's Hertford, 1957-1966
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Welcome Annie, you are by no measn the oldest. midget is in the middle of her eighth decade and Neill the Notorious is a good bit older than she is. We all seem to have 'suffered' DR though, she did have some funny ideas. Peculiar not ha ha
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
Kim2s70-77
Grecian

Post by Kim2s70-77 »

I do not know any of the people of whom you speak - but am intrigued by the numbers of Old Girls who have dealt with depression. Is this also true of Housey? Perhaps it was our unique legacy.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

englishangel wrote:Welcome Annie, you are by no measn the oldest. midget is in the middle of her eighth decade and Neill the Notorious is a good bit older than she is. We all seem to have 'suffered' DR though, she did have some funny ideas. Peculiar not ha ha
I suddenly feel the return of the spring of youth !

(Tra-la-la-la-la !)
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.