Flu epidemic 1959

Share your memories and stories from the Hertford Christ's Hospital School, which closed in 1985, when the two schools integrated to the Horsham site....

Moderator: Moderators

seventhirty
2nd Former

Re: Flu epidemic 1959

Post by seventhirty »

I well remember Mr Finch, and the checkups in the old dentist's chair in the infirmary. the chair was ancient - probably 1920s, and reminiscent of something you would see in one of those museums of old medical equipment. We also had to sit in it for our feet to be checked for verrucas, during weighing and measuring. I think Mr Finch retired during my time (71-78) and was replaced by a much younger man.
During my time we had flu jabs most years, but there was one year (76-77?) when we didn't have it, and there was an epidemic. I remember because I got it on the day before a long weekend, and was sent home early. My mum was furious that I had been sent home to spread it around to the whole family! I think the school closed for an extra day or two and we had an extra long weekend. It was very awkward for my parents, who had to take ta day off work, and rearrange childcare, to drive me back to school on a weekday.
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

A few years out, but what's that amongst friends.

Also, not Hertford, but....

Just received this from my brother

Happened to pick up the May ’70 edition of The Blue (my last year at CH) and was intrigued to read a report of a virulent flu epidemic in March 1970 which affected 128 boys and at its peak required dormitories in Lamb A and Maine to be commandeered as emergency extensions to the infirmary (which had 76 patients). The end of term was brought forward.
I have to confess I don’t actually recall the epidemic at all (rather worryingly!) although I do remember an earlier epidemic (I think in ’66 or ’67) when the first floor of the Infirmary had to be used.

He left in December 1970.

Does anyone else remember this?
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

I remember a flu epidemic in Hertford, I think early to mid 1960's, when some Houses/Wards were turned into extensions of the Infirmary. I remember being in a bed somwhere unfamiliar, and being conscious of spring sunshine, birdsong and daffodils outside. On reflection, some of this seems to be a bit of a delusion. But I am sure that the flu epidemic and the temporary conversion of some Houses/Wards into an extension of the Infirmary actually did happen, sometime between 1957 and 1966.
Kerren Simmonds
5's and 2's Hertford, 1957-1966
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

Kerren - I can't remember that, so it could have been prior my arrival September 1959 - or I am like our revered Editor's brother!
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

Or it might have been after you left, Katharine? Or maybe I'm getting muddled with the year when those of us who lived too far away were moved together into one of the houses, when Easter fell in termtime and some people were able to get home for the long weekend. That could explain the daffodils and birdsong.....
Memory is a funny old thing - plays tricks all the time!
Kerren Simmonds
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

I seem to remember a couple of pretty bad Chicken-Pox outbreaks which I managed to avoid.

In the mid-80's, I contracted it courtesy of daughters and ended ip in bed for nearly a fortnight and two months off work !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Fjgrogan
Button Grecian

Post by Fjgrogan »

JR - something similar happened to my grandmother in her 70's. My uncle worked abroad a lot, so whenever possible my aunt used to travel out to join him, leaving my grandmother to look after her four unruly children. On one occasion two of the children had chicken pox, which didn't stop my aunt from going, but of course my grandmother caught it and nearly died, literally. I don't think my aunt even had the grace to feel any remorse!

There is a vague memory stirring about a flu epidemic during my time at Hertford, but I couldn't swear to it!
Frances Grogan (Haley) 6's 1956 - 62

'A clean house is a sign of a broken computer.'
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

englishangel wrote:I went to the dentist at home, but certainly I had my first filling which required a local anaesthetic at the dentist in Hertford who was in the same place as Kerren remembers. That is the one which fell apart a few weeks ago.
Just noticed your post - you lucky girl. Until I was in my teens the dentist had no local anaesthetic - just a very slow turning and very noisy vibrating drill. Where nerves etc were involved one person would get behind the chair and hold the victim whilst the dentist put a foul smelling mask on his face. Could only be done after a long fast, days of fear (not anticipation!) and even so I would be sick when I woke up in agony.
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
fra828
Grecian

Post by fra828 »

sejintenej wrote:
englishangel wrote:I went to the dentist at home, but certainly I had my first filling which required a local anaesthetic at the dentist in Hertford who was in the same place as Kerren remembers. That is the one which fell apart a few weeks ago.
Just noticed your post - you lucky girl. Until I was in my teens the dentist had no local anaesthetic - just a very slow turning and very noisy vibrating drill. Where nerves etc were involved one person would get behind the chair and hold the victim whilst the dentist put a foul smelling mask on his face. Could only be done after a long fast, days of fear (not anticipation!) and even so I would be sick when I woke up in agony.
Owwww..I felt that....! Must have been AGONY... no wonder fear of the dentist was widespread. And indeed fear remains for many these days too, even with much improved treatments.
Fjgrogan
Button Grecian

Post by Fjgrogan »

Re dentists - in these days fear also of the exhorbitant cost. When my children were small I used to take them to the dentist religiously every six months, but it didn't stop Maria being scared off by a particularly ham-fisted specimen of a school dentist during primary school. Once the children grew up and I no longer needed to 'set an example' I stopped bothering about check-ups myself. By the time my fillings started to break down and need to be replaced by crowns my local dentist had gone private and was quoting about £600 for one crown, so I gave in and had the tooth extracted and vowed never to see another dentist. Eventually I had to, but by then I was (temporarily as it turned out) separated from my husband and living on Income Support and to my surprise managed to get five gold crowns for free! Perhaps it is time I left him again, because now I am back with him (and he has an income!) I no longer qualify for NHS dental treatment apparently!
Frances Grogan (Haley) 6's 1956 - 62

'A clean house is a sign of a broken computer.'
Kim2s70-77
Grecian

Post by Kim2s70-77 »

So much for sending a positive message about 'family values' or the 'sanctity of marriage'!! One is apparently better off not marrying, as far as financial assistance, huh??
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

I've not found it so. As a single person I have to pay just as much to live in and maintain my property as we would if there were more than one of me/us. And as a single disabled person, with a house filling with various 'aids', I found that I am ruled ineligible for even the basic level of Disabled Living Allowance because, by definition, I clearly do not need such an allowance because I live alone, without human help.
Kerren Simmonds
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

fra828 wrote:
Owwww..I felt that....! Must have been AGONY... no wonder fear of the dentist was widespread. And indeed fear remains for many these days too, even with much improved treatments.
My daughter was hit (accidentally) in the school playground, breaking a tooth and leaving the nerve exposed. We had to get an emergency appointment with the dentist who extracted the nerve and put in a temporary filling (to be replaced later).

Ouch; she had to be rushed to hospital the next day when the school nurse diagnosed / suggested that my daughter was having a severe allergic reaction; it turned out that it was the local anaesthetic which made her so ill. (At least the dentist was very concerned and quickly got my daughter tested in the hospital where she had trained, jumping the queue.)
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!