Midnight Feasts

Share your memories and stories from the Hertford Christ's Hospital School, which closed in 1985, when the two schools integrated to the Horsham site....

Moderator: Moderators

fra828
Grecian

Midnight Feasts

Post by fra828 »

What midnight feasts we used to have the end of term! Was reminded of this the other day when I made up some Angel Delight, not having had it for years! We used to have the butterscotch one and other goodies, such as popcorn and cheeselets sent by someone's kind aunt! Once I stayed awake till 12 and tried to rouse my friend in the next bed, but she wouldn't stir, so I just went to sleep myself and the next morning my friend asked me why I hadn't woken her! Another time we didn't have much food and were reduced to eating marmite from the jar!
Kim2s70-77
Grecian

Re: Midnight Feasts

Post by Kim2s70-77 »

Sadly, I was always the sound sleeper who missed out on any of the fun! Tried and tried to stay up for whatever - but I was alwaystoo zapped to accomplish it!
Jo
Button Grecian

Post by Jo »

I don't remember ever having midnight feasts. It was one of my great disappointments - Enid Blyton had prepared me for CH being like Mallory Towers, with lots of spiffing japes, midnight feasts, tricks on teachers, etc. No such luck :(

In fact, I've been intrigued by some of the anecdotes on here, because clearly other people did get up to all sorts of stuff that I didn't. In fact, I don't remember anyone in my year really doing anything very bad, or even mischievous. Smoking was my worst vice as a senior, with perhaps a few half-hearted attempts at winding up some of the weaker teachers as a junior.

I obviously missed out on the best of what CH had to offer :lol: :lol:
Jo
5.7, 1967-75
Kim2s70-77
Grecian

Post by Kim2s70-77 »

Now, I am right with you on the Mallory Towers preparation! In fact, Enid Blyton is the SOLE reason I went to CH in the first place. I begged and begged after an undiluted diet of Famous Five, Mallory Towers and anything else she had to offer. I was VERY DISAPPOINTED when I got there and found it to be a little different! Sardine sandwiches and ginger cake were not evident after Light's Out - although I may have been asleep at the time...............

Does any one remember the day Anna Whatman crashed through the glass part of the bathroom door in 4s and severed an artery and tendon in her hand?? Don't know why that should spring to mind at this precise moment - but midnight feasts must have triggered that thought. ( I always thought her brother had the coolest name - Maximillian Amadeus Hieronymous Whatman!!) Talk about random neurons firing here!!
fra828
Grecian

Post by fra828 »

Jo wrote:I don't remember ever having midnight feasts. It was one of my great disappointments - Enid Blyton had prepared me for CH being like Mallory Towers, with lots of spiffing japes, midnight feasts, tricks on teachers, etc. No such luck :(

In fact, I've been intrigued by some of the anecdotes on here, because clearly other people did get up to all sorts of stuff that I didn't. In fact, I don't remember anyone in my year really doing anything very bad, or even mischievous. Smoking was my worst vice as a senior, with perhaps a few half-hearted attempts at winding up some of the weaker teachers as a junior.

I obviously missed out on the best of what CH had to offer :lol: :lol:

It was only ever a small group of us that seemed to have midnight feasts- and feel sick in the morning- :lol: :mrgreen:
chaosriddenyears
Deputy Grecian

Post by chaosriddenyears »

I felt distinctly queasy already during the feast I have to admit but was determined to do something that was secret and not allowed and therefore fun!

Jenny and I were invited up to Little Dorm one night and were served up cake and other goodies that (apparently) aunts and other generous relations had made specially for this feast, which was held in candlelight.

Strange! The cake bore an uncanny resemblance to that peculiar pink cake we were given for Sunday tea..........
Jo
Button Grecian

Post by Jo »

I did have a midnight feast once, but not at school. Lindsay Morton had come to stay with me during the summer holidays at the end of the first year, and one day we bought a load of stuff from the village shop, then at night we put our torches on and dug in. I can't remember if we went to sleep first and then woke up again, or whether we just lay awake talking until we felt hungry. It was our secret and we were quite thrilled about it. It was only some years later I discovered my mother had known all along. It was the crisp crumbs on the floor that gave us away, she said :lol:
Jo
5.7, 1967-75