Magazine & Letter to Old Girls, October 1976

Share your memories and stories from the Hertford Christ's Hospital School, which closed in 1985, when the two schools integrated to the Horsham site....

Moderator: Moderators

Jo
Button Grecian

Magazine & Letter to Old Girls, October 1976

Post by Jo »

I've been meaning for ages to post a few mentions from this, which I discovered at the back of a drawer last year along with most of my school reports (horrors!)

Mentions from the Forum:
House Reps for next year include Kim (2s) and Jenny (5s).
One of 5s new girls the previous year was Judith Kelynack (aka Jude Comber)
OG family news: Aug 25 1975 to Katharine Dobson (Hills) a second son, Patrick John David in Pakistan

...plus lots of other snippets about other people and events that are mentioned here from time to time. Noye's Fludde, Miss Scott-Haughton retiring, Miss Jukes & Miss Wilson being granted a sabbatical term, the Duke of Gloucester's visit.....

Fascinating reading :D
Jo
5.7, 1967-75
Katharine
Button Grecian

Re: Magazine & Letter to Old Girls, October 1976

Post by Katharine »

I see I was a year late with news of his birth! But then we didn't return to Britain until July 1976.

Now the poor lad has extra questions if he wants to enter the USA, for years when he renewed his passport he had to give the following extra information - date and place of his father's birth, date and place of our wedding, date and place of his registration with a UK Consul. Had he been illegitimate, at that time he would not have been considered British.

Thanks Jo!
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
Jo
Button Grecian

Post by Jo »

Katharine wrote:I see I was a year late with news of his birth! But then we didn't return to Britain until July 1976.

Now the poor lad has extra questions if he wants to enter the USA, for years when he renewed his passport he had to give the following extra information - date and place of his father's birth, date and place of our wedding, date and place of his registration with a UK Consul. Had he been illegitimate, at that time he would not have been considered British.

Thanks Jo!
I had trouble getting a British passport because I was born in the Republic of Ireland, albeit to British parents. But at least now I have it, I don't get hassle when showing or renewing it. Except for the town hall clerk when I went to get my Carte de Sejour during my year in France, who informed me that I couldn't be British because the Republic of Ireland was a separate country, and perhaps no-one had ever explained that to me before? I had to count to dix très lentement before responding to that one :roll:
Jo
5.7, 1967-75
Fjgrogan
Button Grecian

Post by Fjgrogan »

Now this could get interesting - I have just found in the loft a whole box full of old CH stuff including Old Girls' Letter and Magazines, copies of the Blue, and Housey, and various notices sent out over the years. The one thing missing is my school reports, and I know I have them somewhere. Watch this space ............. I might even manage tofind the copy of the letter sent out by Miss Morrison and Mr Baker about 'fraternisation' between boys and girls following the merger in 1985. CHAOS - Christ's Hospital Amalgamation of Schools!
Frances Grogan (Haley) 6's 1956 - 62

'A clean house is a sign of a broken computer.'
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Post by Angela Woodford »

I love old documents - the stuff churned out by poor grim cross old Miss Gamble is so exquisitely typed! Her letters to my parents - before open punctuation happened - are supremely accurate. Secretarial works of art.

But I dare not scrutinise my Reports. They are horribly depressing. The only cheering entries are those concerning my handwriting from Miss Champion. Her comments are illegible.

:offtopic: Frances! Susannah has made a triumphant nail-scissored raid on those spectacular blue poppies, and I have some lovely ripening seed heads to send you! Plus, some interesting specimens from a smaller yellow poppy which the kind girl thought we might like. I've harvested some seeds from a strawberry-and-cream coloured aquilegia - would you like some? :backtotopic:

CHAOS - I wonder what Miss Morrison wrote?
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""