Hertford Memories - The Book

Share your memories and stories from the Hertford Christ's Hospital School, which closed in 1985, when the two schools integrated to the Horsham site....

Moderator: Moderators

Katharine
Button Grecian

Re: Hertford Memories - The Book

Post by Katharine »

anniexf wrote:
Angela Woodford wrote:
Just for the record, does anyone remember a sincere enthusiastic "well done" from DR? It's sad that most of us remember the really horrible things she said! Her unkind bluntness seems to have stuck in our memories.
She did put "Well done, I'm so glad" at the bottom of the postcard with my O-Level results. I had actually managed to pass in 8 subjects despite the effects of tranquillisers prescribed by the idiot school doctor. I assumed she put similar messages on most cards.
She certainly put "Well done" on my O levels post card, by A levels we had the printed slip in an envelope and no comment, perhaps Miss Gamble had put the slips in the envelopes.

I remember other times when DR was pleased, one non-academic example - my patrol in Guides got to a county finals and she took us to Hatfield, I think, for the big day. We did not win but we did not disgrace ourselves, I think we came 5th in the whole county (no idea how many took part!) She drove us there, stayed for the afternoon supporting us and brought us back. Can't think why the Guide captain who came in from outside wasn't involved! On the way back DR was very pleased with us and told us so. She had thought we might not be able to go, but something had been cancelled so she could take us, and she was so pleased for us that she had.
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

Post by icomefromalanddownunder »

anniexf wrote:
She did put "Well done, I'm so glad" at the bottom of the postcard with my O-Level results. I had actually managed to pass in 8 subjects despite the effects of tranquillisers prescribed by the idiot school doctor. I assumed she put similar messages on most cards.
Possibly, but certainly not on all.
icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

Post by icomefromalanddownunder »

Katharine wrote:
I remember other times when DR was pleased, one non-academic example - my patrol in Guides got to a county finals and she took us to Hatfield, I think, for the big day. We did not win but we did not disgrace ourselves, I think we came 5th in the whole county (no idea how many took part!) She drove us there, stayed for the afternoon supporting us and brought us back. Can't think why the Guide captain who came in from outside wasn't involved! On the way back DR was very pleased with us and told us so. She had thought we might not be able to go, but something had been cancelled so she could take us, and she was so pleased for us that she had.
Does anyone know why the Guides were disbanded?
Kim2s70-77
Grecian

Post by Kim2s70-77 »

icomefromalanddownunder wrote:
Katharine wrote:
Does anyone know why the Guides were disbanded?
There were several occasions throughout my time at CH, when we were involved in something, seemingly at random - then it would disappear just as rapidly. I remember a brief stint with Ranger Guides, when we went sailing somewhere in Hertfordshire and actually spent the night in a tent. Never happened again. Also a brief period when bicycles were permitted - I remember the chain coming off on the way to Ashbourne. At some point, Mandy Froshaug and I were taken to a local athletic club for some kind of County sprinting trials for 100m and 200m - had no idea why we were there or what we were doing. No one ever explained anything - and we never heard anything after the fact. I swear I was in a complete fog for 7 years!!
fra828
Grecian

Post by fra828 »

I cannot remember guides or anything in my time. My major memory of anything new is when squash courts were built ?early 70's. It was a great way of letting off steam, and DR even told me to go and play squash to release anger!
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

Y'know --- I DO look forward to reading this book, when published --- not I think for quiet Bed-time Reading, or sweet dreams !

There WAS a book by Brian Magee (Ex MP) about his time at Horsham during the War, but it seemed to be VERY negative, I wouldn't have recognised it, although we were , --- allegedly -- there at the same time !
chaosriddenyears
Deputy Grecian

Post by chaosriddenyears »

I remember the bicycles! Haven't the faintest idea now where they came from or why they disappeared, but Hilary and I were allowed to cycle to Old Wellyn to a harpsichord recital. Miss Taverner and Miss Cordery were there and transported us and bicycles in their cars back to Hertford - I think we were both very glad.