weighing and measuring

Share your memories and stories from the Hertford Christ's Hospital School, which closed in 1985, when the two schools integrated to the Horsham site....

Moderator: Moderators

mvgrogan
Deputy Grecian

Re: weighing and measuring

Post by mvgrogan »

Funny - I was reminded of weighing & measuring earlier today when my son was weighed & measured by the health visitor - (5338g and 58cm). Of course he didn't have to stand in his underwear and touch his toes - on the other hand, he got away with peeing all over her as he was lifted off the scales!! :lol: (he probably weighed a little less after that :D )

Curious to hear that bra size was asked for - I'm sure we never had to provide that - maybe I would have been better off if they had.... let me explain but before I do, JR & Neill should sit down with a stiff drink.... from the age of about 15 until about 10 years ago (when Bravissimo was founded) my bust was larger than manufactured sizes :shock: - which meant back then that my uniform, and everything else I ever wore, looked terrible! My girls are still large, but at least these days I can get adequate support, even if it does cost the earth and I import it from the UK!
Maria Vatanen nee Grogan 6's (6:12) 81-85 BaB (BaB48) 85-87
midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

Were you not given codliver oil and malt if you were underweight?
I had several years of "backs", and then they decided I wasn't breathing properly, so I had to go EVERY morning (Mon ti Fri) to do breathing exercises.
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.
Vonny
Button Grecian

Post by Vonny »

midget wrote:Were you not given codliver oil and malt if you were underweight?
No - I was merely weighed and that was it. They didn't ever take any action to fatten me up!
mvgrogan wrote: my bust was larger than manufactured sizes :shock:
I rememeber! :lol:
2's 1981-1985 2:12 BaB 1985-1988 BaB 41
fra828
Grecian

Post by fra828 »

Squizzing-that was it!! I had totally forgotten we used that word till everyone kindly reminded me of it! :) Miss Morrison once told me I had writing like a spider with hiccups; those scratchy fountain pens had a lot to answer for!
Kim2s70-77
Grecian

Post by Kim2s70-77 »

Was it just 2s - or did all the houses have that peculiar practice of having to announce whether you would be swimming that day, or "P" for period?? I believe it was in the Dayroom at Tea, and you would sing out loud and clear whether you were swimming or menstruating. I guess that was the school's way of monitoring health issues or possible pregnancies. It always fascinated me how our cycles would drift together - like animals in captivity!!
Vonny
Button Grecian

Post by Vonny »

Kim2s70-77 wrote:Was it just 2s - or did all the houses have that peculiar practice of having to announce whether you would be swimming that day, or "P" for period??
That rings a bell :lol: :lol: It was a convenient excuse at times though :lol:
2's 1981-1985 2:12 BaB 1985-1988 BaB 41
fra828
Grecian

Post by fra828 »

Kim2s70-77 wrote:Was it just 2s - or did all the houses have that peculiar practice of having to announce whether you would be swimming that day, or "P" for period?? I believe it was in the Dayroom at Tea, and you would sing out loud and clear whether you were swimming or menstruating. I guess that was the school's way of monitoring health issues or possible pregnancies. It always fascinated me how our cycles would drift together - like animals in captivity!!
This happened in 8's too, all very embarassing :oops: to have to announce it to the whole room!!
Liz Jay
Deputy Grecian

Post by Liz Jay »

Long ago.....sigh....when I was first at CH and looked like a spidery little weed, I can remember being five feet tall and weighing five stones. It had a beautiful symmetry!

Nowadays I have more stones than feet.

But I blame CH food for my lingering obsession with really fresh bread, butter and jam. I hated almost everything else (except maybe Thames mud and barges) and most sit-down mealtimes could hardly get it past my nervously throbbing epiglottis - nobody called it anorexia nervosa in those days and it probabaly wasn't anyway. It was more a case of being permanently on edge, a bit like a spoilt nervous pet in an unsympathetic boarding kennels. Worst of all was eating at DR's table which I can remember doing at least once, maybe twice.

I used to eat like a pig on Sunday evenings when we grazed freely on hot sausage rolls, fruit cake and cheddar, and when home on hols and still have the see saw food thing going on to this day....

Liz
Liz (was Plummer now Jay)
Ex - Sixes ''66 - ''68
chaosriddenyears
Deputy Grecian

Post by chaosriddenyears »

midget wrote:Were you not given codliver oil and malt if you were underweight?
Yes, I remember it being doled out in the cloakroom to the unfortunates - it was in a brown jar and was black and sticky. The housemistress dug it out of the jar with a long-handled spoon.
fra828
Grecian

Post by fra828 »

fra828 wrote:
Kim2s70-77 wrote:Was it just 2s - or did all the houses have that peculiar practice of having to announce whether you would be swimming that day, or "P" for period?? I believe it was in the Dayroom at Tea, and you would sing out loud and clear whether you were swimming or menstruating. I guess that was the school's way of monitoring health issues or possible pregnancies. It always fascinated me how our cycles would drift together - like animals in captivity!!
This happened in 8's too, all very embarassing :oops: to have to announce it to the whole room!!
When I was doing the swimming-book in 5th or 6th form, I always made a point of going round everyone personally and asking them in private, not round a table.
lonelymom
Button Grecian

Post by lonelymom »

Liz Jay wrote:Long ago.....sigh....when I was first at CH and looked like a spidery little weed, I can remember being five feet tall and weighing five stones. It had a beautiful symmetry!

Nowadays I have more stones than feet.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
lonelymom :rolleyes:
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Post by Angela Woodford »

mvgrogan wrote: from the age of about 15 until about 10 years ago (when Bravissimo was founded) my bust was larger than manufactured sizes :shock: - which meant back then that my uniform, and everything else I ever wore, looked terrible! My girls are still large, but at least these days I can get adequate support, even if it does cost the earth and I import it from the UK!
When I see the girls who get DD+ implants, I shudder when I think they will soon realise the misery of a very large bosom. Well, I found it troublesome. How my straps cut in, how I'd be dusted with powder in hot weather! Then the size 16s into which I squeezed burst open, teeshirts looked rather... vulgar, and I longed to run and jump unencumbered. Then there was a party where several blokes thought it funny to get my bra undone. Oh, hideous hateful moment.

I know that I have written many times about (my passion) lingerie; sorry Forum Readers, but Maria is right to remember the days when pretty fashionable large cupped bras were a rarity. Although, the other day (just before the DR sighting) I was looking rather affectionately in a Triumph shop at a pointy-cupped strongly elasticated lace encrusted Doreen!

How happy I was to wake up in Recovery back in 1975, and to peer at the wadding on my chest that concealed my breast reduction! I don't remember a moment of post-op pain!
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

This is obviously ringing many bells, 2 pages in 2 days. I went to Hertford age 11 height 5'4" weight 7st 5 and already wearing a B cup bra. In three years I grew 3 inches, put on 3 stones and 3 cup sizes. I was a BIG girl and like Maria I cannot Imagine why people like Katie Price would do what she does.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

Did any of the other well endowed have to go to SWMNBN in Nines for her to very personally assess and fit with a non-regulation bra? Not the best of memories of my time at school!

Like Maria I have since discovered Bravissimo!

Ooh, I've just realised that we haven't explained Nines to Lonelymum, yet another number!
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
lonelymom
Button Grecian

Post by lonelymom »

Katharine wrote: Ooh, I've just realised that we haven't explained Nines to Lonelymum, yet another number!
Ok... what was Nines? I'm guessing it was the equivalent of 6th form?
lonelymom :rolleyes: