Music cell nicknames

Share your memories and stories from the Hertford Christ's Hospital School, which closed in 1985, when the two schools integrated to the Horsham site....

Moderator: Moderators

thamesmudandbarges
2nd Former

Music cell nicknames

Post by thamesmudandbarges »

I was telling one of my daughters about the practice cells in the music school which were named after composers and how we had nicknames for them all, like....and....my memory failed! Ah, I remember just one: Debussy was Dead Pussy. Can anyone remember any of the other nicknames?
icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

Re: Music cell nicknames

Post by icomefromalanddownunder »

thamesmudandbarges wrote:I was telling one of my daughters about the practice cells in the music school which were named after composers and how we had nicknames for them all, like....and....my memory failed! Ah, I remember just one: Debussy was Dead Pussy. Can anyone remember any of the other nicknames?
I don't remember having nicknames for any of them, but was trying to remember the practice rooms in Nines. Arne? and Britten?

Anyone?

xx
Caroline Payne (nee Barrett)
Hertford 6.20 1965-70

Adelaide, dear Adelaide; where the water is foul, but the wines more than make up for it.
Jo
Button Grecian

Post by Jo »

Arne & Beethoven were in Nines.
The others, in the Music School, were Chopin, Debussy, Elgar, Faure, Grieg, ??Handel??, Ireland, Kabalevsky, Liszt, and ??Mozart.

I think they only went up to M, and Mozart seems most likely. Also I am not sure whether H was Handel or Holst, but Handel seems more likely. I don't think there was a J.

I'm slightly embarrassed to be able to remember them after all this time :oops:
Jo
5.7, 1967-75
icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

Post by icomefromalanddownunder »

Jo wrote:Arne & Beethoven were in Nines.
The others, in the Music School, were Chopin, Debussy, Elgar, Faure, Grieg, ??Handel??, Ireland, Kabalevsky, Liszt, and ??Mozart.

I think they only went up to M, and Mozart seems most likely. Also I am not sure whether H was Handel or Holst, but Handel seems more likely. I don't think there was a J.

I'm slightly embarrassed to be able to remember them after all this time :oops:

Thanks Jo :D

Pretty sure it was Handel, and how could I have forgotten Kabalevsky?????????????????

xx
Caroline Payne (nee Barrett)
Hertford 6.20 1965-70

Adelaide, dear Adelaide; where the water is foul, but the wines more than make up for it.